Thread: Which 375 Winny?

Default Which 375 Winny?

I have a 375 Winchester in a TC Encore that is one of my favorite rifles. I would one day like to get a lever gun in that same caliber. I'm having a little trouble deciding between a Marlin and a Winchester Big Bore.

Which direction should I go and why?

Default I like the

Marlin personally. Stronger action, solid top, so a scope if desired is an easier option. I've always found the Marlin to have an edge in accuracy too.

Same here. I've owned both, and the Marlin had it all over the Winnie. I love Winnie levers, but never made peace with the 375. It shot "okay" and cycled "okay," but the Marlin shot groups at 100 yards the Winnie couldn't manage at 50. Differences in chambering too, but I got at least twice as many reloads from brass in the Marlin as in the Winnie. Made me wonder if the Winnie chamber wasn't a little oversize due to excessive expansion in front of the web and the need to trim a lot more often. The Marlin was really gentle on brass.

I let both go while chasing some other fancy, and here's the real test. The new Winnie owner keeps trying to sell or trade it back to me, while the new Marlin owner won't part with his on a bet. That's backwards to the way I wish it was. I'd have the Marlin back in a heartbeat, but the Winnie is welcome to stay gone.

Default Winchester

My experience is the polar opposite, granted both of my current BB94's are early examples, and one is a first year gun.
    My suggestion is to pick the one that works for you. Scopes are possible on either the Marlin or Winchester and I prefer a scout setup for both, but they change the handeling characteristics to the point that I don't see the benefit with this type of short range cartridge. Now talk about a Browning BLR, Savage 99, Win 88 with pointy bullets and my answer is yes indeed.
    I feel that the forte' of the Marlin's and Winchester's is the way they carry and point.

EKC since you like those single shots, consider a Ruger #3 in this caliber!

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

I have both and prefer the Marlin for my hunting needs. Quick detach scope and red dot for different needs. My early Winchester doesn't have the safety, and is not factory drilled/tapped for scope mounting. Currently not in use.
    The Marlin has been a reliable brush gun for the past 16 years (and counting).

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well….. I will join Ed with the dissenting opinion. I currently have one each, and while I have read and hear tell of many a Marlin 375 that shoot like a house-a-fire….. mine aint one of em…..

My BB94 is a nother story. Shoots great and I prefer the fully loaded balance with the longer mag tube. I am also partial to the strait grip stock of the Winchester, but don’t dislike the Marlin’s Pistol grip. My Winchester is also the pre-safety top eject and not drilled for a scope, so it has a aperture sight on the rear and is plenty accurate out to 130-150 yards for my needs.

If price is a factor you may lean more towards the Marlin. At least in my experience there seems to be more of them for sale on the internet sights and slightly less expensive prices than the BB94 for whatever reason.

Either way, both are fine rifles, and I like both of mine, but just prefer the BB94
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Well fellas, I've been looking for just the right 375 for long enough! I jumped on this one a little earlier tonight on gunbroker!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=185501917

EKC that is one fine looking rifle, well done. I suggest you try it both with & without a scope from field carry and field firing positions, go with which feels best to you. Congratulations and I have plenty more bullets if ya ever need'em

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

e45colt

It doesn't come with the scope and thats ok. I never scope a lever gun....maybe a good peep sight with a wide post up front. However I may have to go with a scope one day as my eyes aren't getting any younger!

I killed a deer with one of your bullets last year and was just looking online a Midway's website to see if they had anything close to yours. They have some made by Cast Performance co. that are .378 diameter, 260 grain and are gas checked. They are supposed to be a pretty good heat treated hunting bullet.

Were the ones you sent me of your own casting? They shot real well in my Encore. This Marlin has Micro-Groove rifling so I'm curious as to what it will do with lead projectiles......one way to find out.

I'd be very happy to buy some of your bullets.

Congrats! Great gun at a great price. I'd get to loading ASAP and stick a pig with it!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Congrats! Great gun at a great price. I'd get to loading ASAP and stick a pig with it!
    Yes sir! I recon that's exactly what I'm gonna do. I have a little time to play with it. I think the pig hunt is gonna happen in March.

I've already cut some pig silhouettes out of blandex. The preperation and anticipation are half the fun.

Amigo Will went and posted that "News Flash" thread concerning the Marlin plant shutting down and it made me act like an old lady at a garage sale...I just had to have this one now! Thanks Will I appreciate the nudge!