Thread: kleaning kwiks

Default kleaning kwiks

How many guys clean their kwikfish? A friend of mine mentioned cleaning his kwikfish with toothpaste. I have never heard of this trick before. I was going to run my kwikfish through a cycle on the dish washer. Does anybody see anything wrong with this?

Default Extremely BAD idea....

Click this link, read the opening post, then scroll down to post #18.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=137845

Bottom line... clean 'em by hand with a soft brush and some Lemon Joy. Save the Crest toothpaste for the really bad ones with the tough hardened crusty residue.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default dishwasher bad

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Scott View Post
    How many guys clean their kwikfish? A friend of mine mentioned cleaning his kwikfish with toothpaste. I have never heard of this trick before. I was going to run my kwikfish through a cycle on the dish washer. Does anybody see anything wrong with this?
    Definitely clean them, but not in the dishwasher. Some Kwikfish finishes will be permanently damaged by running through the dishwasher. Specifically, Fickle Pickles or any of the ones with a metallic chartreuse base will be toast if you run them through the dishwasher. There might be a detergent out there that doesn't ruin 'em, but I have tried two and both ruined the finish (made it a dull, cloudy, non-metallic finish and pretty much faded the bright chartrease hot-tail to a dirty, whitish yellow color).

Even soaking these plugs too long in a sink full of hot dishwater can ruin the finish.

Best solution: Clean them as soon as possible after use, by hand, and don't soak them for long periods in detergent nor run them through the dishwasher. Waiting a few days for the sardine oil and remnants of sardine fillets to dry on makes keeping them clean much more difficult.