Thread: Garmin 740s vs. Standard Horizon cp500

Default Garmin 740s vs. Standard Horizon cp500

I am considering the purchase of a new gps/fish finder. Have you heard any pro or cons with these two combo units? They both cost about the same--$1800. I had never heard of the Std Horizon, but it seems to have nice features and a giant screen. The Garmin unit is their newest technology with a touch screen and high def. available.

Thanks, Randy

I am also interested in the Garmin 740S, somebody out there has used one as West Marine here in Anchorage has them flying out the door left and right, can hardly keep them in stock more than a few days. Am also curious where to find a 1kw transducer.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Default Garmin 740s

I just put one of these babies on my boat and so far it has worked very well! I had a Lowrance lms 337cdf and it always lost the bottom at faster speeds in the salt. So far I have not lost bottom yet on the 740s. Also the Lowrance crapped out, I bearly retrieved some of my way points. I do have a GPS module though, if anyone wants to make a deal? Back to the 740s, the bottom detail is very nice. Only gripe is inland lake maps are not very good for Alaska. I would like to be able to put maps off on their mapsource on the 740s. With google maps and all the other maps out there, you sould never have a blank spot in north america any more!

Quote Originally Posted by stormanman8 View Post
    I just put one of these babies on my boat and so far it has worked very well! I had a Lowrance lms 337cdf and it always lost the bottom at faster speeds in the salt. So far I have not lost bottom yet on the 740s. Also the Lowrance crapped out, I bearly retrieved some of my way points. I do have a GPS module though, if anyone wants to make a deal? Back to the 740s, the bottom detail is very nice. Only gripe is inland lake maps are not very good for Alaska. I would like to be able to put maps off on their mapsource on the 740s. With google maps and all the other maps out there, you sould never have a blank spot in north america any more!
    Curious about what transducer you went with, I have not been able to find a 1kw.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I replaced my 498 w/ the 740s in may. It was plug and play w/ my old garmin antenna and my x-ducer(nylon thru-hull hockey puck style I think its a garmin 430s 200khz. I got the 18" hi-def raydome and it was all plug and play. This machine is blazing fast and has all the bells and whistles you'll need. My friends that have the 4200 and 5200 series are cussing that they didn't holfd out for the 740s for a fraction of the cost w/ alot less BS modules etc. The only draw back is there isn't a video port like the 4200/5200 machines. So you have to get a separate screen for your stern and engine room cams .

I understand you can add radar to the Garmin 740. If the definition is ok, that would be a cheap way to get radar.

Fullbush, Does your 740 show bottom well-such as scructure contours and changes? And does it show fish well-salmon and bait balls?
    What transducer are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    Fullbush, Does your 740 show bottom well-such as scructure contours and changes? And does it show fish well-salmon and bait balls?
    What transducer are you using?
    The fish finder or sonar as Garmin calls it is no better than any other video bottom machine. My transducer is a nylon thru-hull hockey puck style. I think its a garmin 430s What the 740s does have is a bathymetric chart which is awesome btw. There is also a fish eye chart which gives you the view a fish would see if it was traveling your course (bottom contours etc.). Lets put it this way...I would never recommend this machine to my competition

Did I mention how much I love the touch screen?

FULLBUSH, Do you have the G2 vision card that has the fish eye feature? It costs a little over $300 and I was wondering if it was worth it. The radar option is just under a thousand extra and again, the price seems good, but I am wonder if it will work well enough.

FULLBUSH, Do you have the G2 vision card that has the fish eye feature? It costs a little over $300 and I was wondering if it was worth it. The radar option is just under a thousand extra and again, the price seems good, but I am wonder if it will work well enough.
    the radar works as good as any radar i've ever seen and yeah I have the G2 card

Do you have the G2 card that shows the fisheye feature? It is over $300 extra. The radar is about $1000 extra. I'm wondering if these options are worth it.

Search online for the G2 card, I forget what I paid for mine, but it was well below $300. West Marine was always out of them anyway.

Rick

Do you have the G2 card that shows the fisheye feature? It is over $300 extra. The radar is about $1000 extra. I'm wondering if these options are worth it.
    I bought a 740s this spring and love it! Paid $1,650 for the base unit plus an even $200 for the G2 card right here in town. Beat the lowest online price I could find, and supports a local business!

Accupoint, Inc. at 7125 Old Seward, phone 522-1600. These are the guys that sell surveying equipment, rent sat phones, etc. but they've got a good selection of Garmin marine stuff as well. Check 'em out.

~Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    I bought a 740s this spring and love it! Paid $1,650 for the base unit plus an even $200 for the G2 card right here in town. Beat the lowest online price I could find, and supports a local business!

Accupoint, Inc. at 7125 Old Seward, phone 522-1600. These are the guys that sell surveying equipment, rent sat phones, etc. but they've got a good selection of Garmin marine stuff as well. Check 'em out.

~Steve
    You got a whopping discount. Currently 1799.00 for the base unit and 319.00 for the card.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM