Thread: Patching EXTRA TUFF BOOTS

Default Patching EXTRA TUFF BOOTS

I ripped a hole in my boots on a barbed wire fence and they are just like new. How do you patch them? with what? its about a 2" rip

Get some polyurethane based roof sealent from a hardware or home improvement store, they come in caulking gun sized tubes for ~$6. Put some duct tape on the inside of the boot, squirt some through the rip to make a patch against the tape, then lay down a bead on the outside and smooth it as best as possible. Nasty stucky stuff and takes a couple days to get a full cure. But very tough and sticks to just about anything.

I wonder if tire patch would work

Default Tire patches, bicycle patches all work

Go down and see your auto mechanic or go to the bike store. Tube patches are the cat's meaow!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

AquaSeal is your friend...

best method i have found is to use a bike patch kit.
    the most important step is to roughen the area with coarse sandpaper and clean with acetone.
    aquaseal is good too, but the roughing and cleaning is crucial or the patch won't last as long as the boots.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

3M 5200 ??? sticks to just about everything. Mix up a bit of soapy water, dip your finger in it and you can spread/smooth out the 5200 real nice.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Great ideas!

I can't say I need to patch my XTs at the moment, but these are some great tips everyone. Thanks!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    3M 5200 ??? sticks to just about everything. Mix up a bit of soapy water, dip your finger in it and you can spread/smooth out the 5200 real nice.
    Steve,

The polyurethane roof goop is just a cheaper version of 5200, and works fine for most applications. The problem with 5200 is the tube dries out before I use it all up, so kinda nice to have something that costs 1/2 as much. I've used it to patch neoprene waders, ice chest, you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Steve,

The polyurethane roof goop is just a cheaper version of 5200, and works fine for most applications. The problem with 5200 is the tube dries out before I use it all up, so kinda nice to have something that costs 1/2 as much. I've used it to patch neoprene waders, ice chest, you name it.
    Thanks Paul, good to know that there is something as good for a cheaper price. I usually tape up the nozzle of the 5200 tube good & tight and it lasts awhile but sometimes i have to use a icepick to get through the dried/thickened stuff.
    I myself can't wear xtratuffs, too narrow for my block feet & i like a wide top boot under my raingear, easy to kick off if needed & they vent/breathe/dry better.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default saving the tube of goop...

Just sqeeze a blob of the goop, 5200, roof seal, silicone seal, whatever, leave a 1/2" blob to dry at the end of the nozzle. Some will also dry inside the tube nozzle. Next time to use it, pull on the hardened blob, it will pull the dried stuff out of the nozzle and the rest will be like new. It's a sealer, so use it to seal itself! Try it...you'll like it

Shoe goop would be my first choice, fast setting 5200 second( reg. Stuff takes 1 week to cure) this spring used hi temp silicone and duct tape ( what i had on the boat) kept me dry till the hunt was over. Will peel tape off and touch up with goop one of these days.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER