Thread: 350 rem mag vs 375?

Default 350 rem mag vs 375?

Im new to this forum as a subscriber but have found Valuable info here.,.So thought Might find some opinions on thoughts about the 350 rem mag for Big bear Vs the 375..I own both..But really love Shooting my 350..Anyone have an opinion..Would like to know

Quote Originally Posted by Staghound View Post
    Im new to this forum as a subscriber but have found Valuable info here.,.So thought Might find some opinions on thoughts about the 350 rem mag for Big bear Vs the 375..I own both..But really love Shooting my 350..Anyone have an opinion..Would like to know
    Welcome to the forum!

The 350 RM is nothing more/nothing less than the 35 Whelen in a shorter guise. The Whelen and the 350 RM's effectiveness is well known on all manner of NA game including big bears. While the 375 has more of everything (KE, velocity, RECOIL, etc.) a 250 grain .358 caliber bullet at 2500 fps is enough for any bear. Where I'm from enough is all you need so I am very confident carrying my Whelen (your 350 RM)in "Big Barr" country.

Default Thanks

REally Appeciate the opinion.I KNoW th Diff Between the 375.and 350.But want to have an opinion pool on "BIG BEARS in AK??.is the 350 Usable or a good choice!????

Really you think it in the same ball park as 35. Your so very wrong. I shoot a 350 and it will knock down anything it hits period. Its a meat ruinner for sure. he's a hole it left in blackie neck.
    Attached Files Attached Files

REally Appeciate the opinion.I KNoW th Diff Between the 375.and 350.But want to have an opinion pool on "BIG BEARS in AK??.is the 350 Usable or a good choice!????
    I've always took the opinion use the largest gun you can with the best ballistics and largest grain bullet possible without sacrificing accuracy. While I've always liked the .375 H&H, the .350 did do some serious damage on Mike's bear. If you look a little further though, you will find the .350 is in fact the ballistic twin of the .35 Whelen just as 1Cor15:19 said. (source)

That said, the .35 is .5 lbs lighter than the .350 and the .350 is 1lb lighter than the .375. I won't ever discount the .350 or Mike (especially since I frequently hunt with him and know what his gun can do ), but for some (specifically me), brown bears require larger bullets, muzzle velocity, and superior muzzle energy - albeit the gun is heavier. You just need to decide what suits your needs. If your looking at grain options, muzzle velocity and energy, the 375 win's hands down:

.350 Rem. Mag with 200 gr bullet (link)
    Muzzle Velocity: 2775
    Muzzle Energy: 3419

.375 H&H Mag with 260 gr bullet (link)
    Muzzle Velocity: 2700
    Muzzle Energy: 4210

In summary, both will work but if I owned one of each and I found myself hunting brown bears and didn't want to take chances I would use the .375 H&H over the .350 unless I shot the .350 better. My father and I discuss this type of thing all the time and he reminds me he took his 8.5' Kodiak brown with a 7MM at more of a distance than I'd suggest others shoot when hunting browns. He always reminds me how much heavier the .375 is - and how it kicks like a mule compared to his 7mm. In the end it comes down to comfort and proficiency.

Here is Mike's bear after meeting his .350 (quicker to view). If you ask the bear, I think he would tell you he never knew what hit him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Really you think it in the same ball park as 35. Your so very wrong. I shoot a 350 and it will knock down anything it hits period. Its a meat ruinner for sure. he's a hole it left in blackie neck.
    The Whelen fires identical 225 & 250 grain bullets at the same velocity or slightly faster than the 350 RM in most rifles. The difference is not in absolute case capacity, but in usable capacity due to the 350 using shorter actions which encroach on the powder capacity. My Whelen (24 inch barrel) will easily make 2800 fps with 225s and 2575 fps with 250s using RL15. No disrespect to the 350 RM--its a fine cartridge no doubt, but it is not a more potent cartridge than the Whelen regardless how it knocks things down.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The Whelen fires identical 225 & 250 grain bullets at the same velocity or slightly faster than the 350 RM in most rifles. The difference is not in absolute case capacity, but in usable capacity due to the 350 using shorter actions which encroach on the powder capacity. My Whelen (24 inch barrel) will easily make 2800 fps with 225s and 2575 fps with 250s using RL15. No disrespect to the 350 RM--its a fine cartridge no doubt, but it is not a more potent cartridge than the Whelen regardless how it knocks things down.
    Well, 1Cor, the .35 Whelan, might seem as capable, but it lacks both a triple digit number and the Magnum characterization. If they had called it the ".350 Whelan Magnum," then it might be worth using.

Muhahahahahahah!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Well, 1Cor, the .35 Whelan, might seem as capable, but it lacks both a triple digit number and the Magnum characterization. If they had called it the ".350 Whelan Magnum," then it might be worth using.

Muhahahahahahah!
    That's probably more true than than we might guess MH. Of course the 350 G&H Magnum never really made a go of it, though I've often considered my "need" of another 35 in the safe and the G&H has a certain panache that the 350 RM or the 358 Norma simply can't muster.

That's probably more true than than we might guess MH. Of course the 350 G&H Magnum never really made a go of it, though I've often considered my "need" of another 35 in the safe and the G&H has a certain panache that the 350 RM or the 358 Norma simply can't muster.
    You should just skip all that and invent the ".360 Corinthians Katmai Wilderness Ultra-Magnum." I would buy a rifle chambered in that even if it was essentially a clone of the .35 Whelen.

Basically, with these two cartridges, they are so close, that it boils down to whether you like a short, or a standard length action
    I just loved the Rem 673 in 350RM the moment I picked it up. Great bush rifle: not too long, not too short, juuuuust right
    Long live the 35 Cal!
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

The .350 may be a great cartridge, but I imagine that there must a reason why the .375 H&H is so popular in Alaska as a bear gun, and the .350 isn't. I imagine that you are referring to the .375 H&H?

And I apologize if I bruise some egos in here. That's not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Basically, with these two cartridges, they are so close, that it boils down to whether you like a short, or a standard length action
    I just loved the Rem 673 in 350RM the moment I picked it up. Great bush rifle: not too long, not too short, juuuuust right
    Long live the 35 Cal!
    I agree completely that the rifles firing the two cartridges may be different, but what I can't understand is someone thinking either cartridge has some sort of mysterious advantage over the other. They are two peas in the proverbial pod.

I agree completely that the rifles firing the two cartridges may be different, but what I can't understand is someone thinking either cartridge has some sort of mysterious advantage over the other. They are two peas in the proverbial pod.
    If there weren't any advantages from one cartridge to the next, then there would only be one cartridge Oops! I got it. You are talking about the .350 and the .35 Whelen? These two are very close to each other ballistically. That's true.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    The .350 may be a great cartridge, but I imagine that there must a reason why the .375 H&H is so popular in Alaska as a bear gun, and the .350 isn't. I imagine that you are referring to the .375 H&H?

And I apologize if I bruise some egos in here. That's not my intention.
    Popularity is one thing; effectiveness is something entirely different IMO. The 375's popularity does not imply that it is more effective than the 350 RM/Whelen.

Ford's are more common than Maseratis. Does this imply Fords are a more effective car than a Maserati simply because it is more popular/common? That is not seeing the issue squarely IMO. Cost, availability, tradition, marketing, etc. establish popularity as much as effectiveness, whether we're talking cars or rifles.

Kind of like the whole .270 vs the .280, but more so (although the .284 has better bullet selection). I suppose a feller could argue that the Whelan handles the longer bullets better, but a 225 or 250 Gr. Nosler Partition is pretty hard to beat as an all around game getter.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    The .350 may be a great cartridge, but I imagine that there must a reason why the .375 H&H is so popular in Alaska as a bear gun, and the .350 isn't.
    No clue on that one... cartridge popularity is something that mystifies me.

Why does one become popular and another fails is often rooted in some pretty obscure thinking.

I've thought the 350 Rem Mag was a very cool cartridge... just introduced too early in a rifle that was, if nothing, too futuristic for its day.

I'm betting we could develop a 350 WSM that matched 35 Whelen ballistics and it would sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Why does one become popular and another fails is often rooted in some pretty obscure thinking.

I've thought the 350 Rem Mag was a very cool cartridge... just introduced too early in a rifle that was, if nothing, too futuristic for its day.

I'm betting we could develop a 350 WSM that matched 35 Whelen ballistics and it would sell like hotcakes.
    My point is this (lets forget about popularity for a minute): put a .350 and a .375 H&H rifle side by side in front of a group of Alaska bear hunters, and I am willing to bet that if the bears talked about have "brown or grizzly" in front of "bear," that most will grab the .375 H&H.

Now, if the rifles were a .350 and .35 Whelen, it would be a toss-up, simply because both are quite close ballistically.

That was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

What makes any cartridge popular are the following:

Ammo availability, its ballistics, the real life reputation it develops relating to the game that is killed with it. There is no denying that .375 H&H is quite a lot more of a bear cartridge than the .350 will ever be, at least in Alaska. The same in relation to my favorite, the .338WM, compared to the .375 H&H for bears alone. The .375 produces a meaner punch with a .300-grain and heavier slug than my .338 with a bullet of the same weight.

So, popularity has a lot of influence relating to which rifle one would grab for hunting, for the more popular the cartridge is where you hunt, the more people using it, and the more ammo available for it. "Coolness" is fine too as long as that's what you like, and I have nothing against it. But if I were standing not too far from a big bear, I want the most powerful cartridge I can shoot well.

By the way, I have nothing agains the OP should he decided to use his .350 over the .375 H&H to hunt grizzly

Shoot what you love!!!! You'll shoot it more often & better.
    The 350 is enough gun for big bears 99% of the time. The other 1% the 375 probably wouldn't have done any better.
    I personaly love the 35s. My current 35 is a 358 NM, but I always felt comfortable with my 35 Whelen & 250s when I had it.
    I've gotten into the lever gun mode now & the only long gun I currently use is a Guide Gun in 450 Marlin, but if I go back to bolt guns it will the 35s.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."