Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Klutina suicide run this weekend?

Default Klutina suicide run this weekend?

Hey guys i was thinkin on if it was worth it to go for a quick overnight trip to klutina this weekend? Might head down to try it as it seems to be good fishing. Last weekend the water was low.. any reports on water level?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

The Klutina only gets better the later you go. You should be able to throw the dinkers back and be selective on which ones you keep.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Sweet! I just gotta go buy a new 8wt as i learned a 7wt sage was no match to a monster red But as last weekend was we did release around 4 smaller ones(4-5lb) and keep a few larger(7-8ishlb)
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Sweet! I just gotta go buy a new 8wt as i learned a 7wt sage was no match to a monster red But as last weekend was we did release around 4 smaller ones(4-5lb) and keep a few larger(7-8ishlb)
    Man, I dunno about a 7wt not being enough. I use a 7wt TFO 4 piece without issue.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I heard that the fishing this last week was really slow...any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Man, I dunno about a 7wt not being enough. I use a 7wt TFO 4 piece without issue.

I use my Sage 7wt and my TFO 6wt. 6wt only in water where I have lots of room to play them though.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by gregc View Post
    I heard that the fishing this last week was really slow...any truth to that?
    I took the wife to Valdez last weekend and we stopped at the Copper Roadhouse.. She twitted around doing her thing while I stood up on the bank watching everyone pulling fish out left and right with tears in my eyes.
    I never leave home without gear in the truck... except that time We stopped over at the widows for some coffee and some ol'timer felt really bad for me so he offered to sell me his gear!

Default King for a Day

My 7 year old son and I will be at King for a Day Fri/Sat fishing and we'll be running some gas thru both of our '84 Big Reds to keep 'em going. If anyone on the forum is around say hi. I'll be the guy with the Big Reds by the motorhome (probably trying to start them. )
    Tim

Default i will be at king for a day also

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    My 7 year old son and I will be at King for a Day Fri/Sat fishing and we'll be running some gas thru both of our '84 Big Reds to keep 'em going. If anyone on the forum is around say hi. I'll be the guy with the Big Reds by the motorhome (probably trying to start them. )
    Tim
    If I see a couple big reds i will stop in and say hi.

Default slow

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishak30 View Post
    If I see a couple big reds i will stop in and say hi.
    Was there Monday and it was super slow. Got our limits but it took much longer than it did just 4 days earlier. I didn't see one fisherman with their limit either. Just a bunch of people commenting on how slow it was.

hey i got a big red to and love it
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up Last Sunday

It was very good fishing for me mid afternoon. Seems like the Klutina is always a little more sporadic depending on the fish "push" and where one's fishing.

crazedBOWhunter

Last Friday, Saturday, Sunday I stayed at king for a day and fished many different holes. A little sporadic but very good saturday and sunday. I talked to a buddy the other night who was out there and he's killing em. From what I've heard, this weekend should be promising.

Smile

caught two reds in 3 hours, and hooked 4 before heading home on wednesday. not great but dooable.

Hey Lakecreek,

I was down on Wedesnday and fished the mouth. The water did seem to be up a few inches. It was raining cats and dogs from Glennallen to Eureka. Caught one right above the fork on the south side after about an hour and a half, then noticed I had busted the tip of my G-Loomis . I went back to the bridge and fished with my back up ugly stick, but didn't see much action and it wasn't as much fun as the fly rod so I packed it in.

The fishing seemed a little slower than last weekend for sure, I didn't see as many roll and not as many fish were on stringers by people fishing on the trail down to the mouth and the cleaning table at the campground wasn't as full. Watched 3 fish caught right at the mouth in about 2 hours while I was fishing.

If you hit it for an overnight you should limit out. I remember last year middle of second week in July the water was way high and the fishing was horrible. So I doubt I will be back until the end of July or into August for the second big push.

Good luck!

Tight lines.

Heading over that way around 8:45am tomorow
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Was slow for us....most of the reds we found were super super early. On that note kings on the gulkana was pretty decent considering.

Any other reports? Trying to decide if it's worth the gas to make a day trip tomorrow. Thanks

No it is not worth it IMO, the fishing has not been good the last 3-4 days. You can catch fish but its not been what I call good. It was good 2 weeks ago, and good a week ago, but not good the middle end of this week.

stopped and watched for awhile and talked with some people fishing. It looks real slow. I didnt bother fishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast