Thread: Stereo Recommendations

Default Stereo Recommendations

It sure would be nice to listen to some tunes while out on overnighters so I was thinking of installing a stereo in my boat. Ideally, I'd like something that will play CDs, I can plug my ipod into or maybe get a few radio stations. I don't need anything with the marine band as my marine radio already has that. I have a Pacific Cruiser so it will go in the cabin but I would like to install a set of speakers in the cabin as well as outside on the fishing deck.

Any place in Anchorage to get a decent yet cheap setup? Any other ideas?

Clarion and Alpine are basically the standard for quality marine applications. Can't speak to a local installer, but I'd just order and do it myself.

Thumbs up Make sure it has skip /delay

Well what ever it takes my last river boat would "skip" in the the "smallest" bump in the river...what a waste that was
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I won't be using CDs much so I'm not worried too much about skipping. Its mainly something to listen to while drift fishing or mooching as well as in the evenings. We'll also be using ipods mostly as that's what nearly all our music is on.

Thanks for the info though and I will be installing it myself. For some reason I find working on my boat part of the fun.

Check crutchfield audio online, they usually have good deals and sometimes free shipping to AK even. Thats where I get most of my stuff. Locally, Safe & Sound is the place that I go to get equipment for installations, they are pretty knowledgable people too.

This is what I had installed in my 23' Wooldridge Super Sport Drifter and couldn't be happier:

One of these:
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x100m/

And two pair of these:
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/spr-m700/

The sound is amazing. Snoop around for pricing, Crutchfield is nice to deal with but their service and extras come at a price. Onlinecarstereo.com is a decent source.

My headunit plugs directly into my ipod and ipod control is done on the unit, it's a great setup. It doesn't accept CD's which works fine for me as I haven't touched one in years, plus no skipping.

If you need to use CD's as well, this would be a nice headunit, we actually have one of these in our ocean boat:
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-9886m

I put a similar unit as the one Ellamar put in his ocean boat. I added an amp, too. I connect it to an iPod and it works great. A little Buffet on the back deck while enjoying the libation of your choice is hard to beat!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Anything with a direct MP3/iPod hookup would be ideal. CDs don't seem to last very long out on the water and skipping becomes a pain. Don't forget to price out an AMP as well. The dual battery setup is also a good idea to have, it allows for more continuous music without having to constantly run the motor.

You cant beat Ebay pricing. I picked up this package two weeks ago
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The quality is amazing! It has a remote so you can control it from anywhere on the boat, the kicker speakers sound excellent, it plays CDs, and it has a hard wire from the back that you can plug in and charge your IPOD. I couldnt be happier with it.

I would also recommend on of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    It makes it so you dont need an extra antenna for your radio if you already have a VHF.

I didn't go nearly as elaborate as you guys did. I bought an IPOD docking station that was 110v, but it had a "wall wart" that stepped it down to 12v. I just cut the "wart" off and hard-wired it. Put it on the dash and used a couple mini bungies to keep it in place. It sounds surprisingly good, for what it is. It won't compete with the full blown stereo and amp, but works as an easy alternative. Comes with a remote too.

The ATT store has a itty bitty Altec speaker that runs on AAA batteries and is made as an external speaker for an Ipod or similar player. It sounds pretty darn good for about $30 and fits into a coat pocket. Take it where you want it. Simple is good.

Alpine is the way to go IMO. Local dealers are Best Buy, Pyramid A/V, Shimeks and Safe and Sound or you can get it all over on line.

I put this is for the stereo unit. I think I got it at West Marine. It's noce because the control unit is small, and is a surface mount unit. I mounted the main box under the dash.

For speakers, I used these. Also purchased at West Marine. I was looking real hard at the Bose outdoor speakers, but unless you drive them real loud, the sound quality is just not there. . . .

All great ideas. Thanks folks. If I'm to get a stereo this season I won't be going elaborate. $200-$300 is about all I can go right now. I've been spending enough money this season on gear and the boat. We're still looking to get a dingy, pot puller, and a bbq. The stereo is low on the totem pole. Thanks again folks and I'll let you know what I get and how it works out.

I use a Dewalt Shop Radio with an Axillary Plug for my Ipod. The thing is almost indestructable and weather resistant. I don't take it all the time, as I am fond of peice and quite and taking in the day.

hello, I bought a fusion from cabelas it is a marine stereo your ipods goes inside,no cord to plug into,behind the face plate totally waterproof,works asome 299 from there catalog,i love it,have friends already order theres after seeing mine