Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klutina Reds

crazedBOWhunter

Default Klutina Reds

Was down there this past weekend and found my limit Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Lots of success found at the mouth. It's a little hike, but very much worth the trip. Every other cast for two hours pulling reds out. Couple other good holes along the right (as your facing down river). My liter was full arm to opposite shoulder length, w/ three #2 splitshots about 8 inches from where my liter connected to my line. Pink yarn was all i used the whole trip and it never stopped working, (Don't think it mattered too much though)...#2 hooks.

Oh and i've got a buddy who I heard from last night who said it's pretty hot right now and seems to be getting better & better each day. Hopefully it'll be a good weekend.

Where do you access the river from? The campground or off the road somewhere? Thanks

Default Copper Center

Access for both sides of the River is at the bridge in Copper Center.

So the mouth huh? Might make a run up this weekend and try for 2 days. Went there like last weekend and caught my limit all of the days exept one
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Thats quite the jog sith! Thanks though, not sure how much time I will have to fish but thought it might be worth a shot.

It's really about a 20 min hike. Definately worth it though!

crazedBOWhunter

That map Sith posted is perfect!!! The highlighted island is exactly where we were. If you pay attention at the top left of the island there's a little curve in it. When you get on the island and at the top left point (referencing the map) there are some rapids about 15 ft. off the island, there's an eddie that flows right between the curve on the map and the rapids when you're out there. I stood a couple feet up, flipped out into the edge of the rapids, let it float down into the eddie and slayed em. There were about 10 people below my group and they weren't catching but one or two an hour, where we were pulling em in every other cast. I felt bad but I was being picky of which ones to keep bc a lot of the fish we were catching were turning or too small. I was pretty picky about the three I kept, b/c I could be!

Hey guys

I'm thinking of heading in there this weekend for a day or two. Is it possible to set up a small tent in there closer to the action. Just wondering. It would be better than hiking in and out multiple times.

Thanks Much

Default yes but

You could pitch a tent down toward the mouth.. but after the bear tracks I saw down there, I wouldnt

I figured there would be bears but wasn't too worried. Do you really think it would be that big a deal. If so where should I set camp. What do you recommend doing with the days catch in order to keep the bears out of them.

Fishing is terrible right now. Maybe a run is pushing through with the rain
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Default Slow!

Fished Saturday and sunday morning between the bridges with no luck. I was going to go to the mouth but wasnt sure if my boy was up to it. Even the charters were having a hard time. Saw one group of four get off the boat with four fish. Ouch!

Ill be back on the 12th for another try. I did hear several guides say there are more kings in the river than reds! Hillbilly

Default Mind trick?

Ok I admit it...I but some jedi mind tricks on the fish and they wont take to being lined any more, until I return...return of the jedi....LOL
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Ok I admit it...I but some jedi mind tricks on the fish and they wont take to being lined any more, until I return...return of the jedi....LOL
    Booo!

Ian wants to go back there bad...

Default Goose egg on the 28th and 29th

Was there last weeekend and pulled a goose egg after 15hrs of straight fishing. No one was catching anything. mUst have been between runs

So I've been trying to read the regs and different things are confusing me. I'm going to head down to the Klitina tomorrow, probably to the spot Sith recommended. Some people say they are going to the Klitina for King Salmon but the reg book says all waters running to Klitina Lake are closed for King fishing. I'm going down for the reds but would like to catch a king as well. What's the deal can I fish for Kings in that spot?

Thanks Much Guys

Yes kings are open. And post the red report!
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Just got back with no luck. I saw a couple of people with one or two fish but that was very rare. When I got there on Fri I saw a group of people packing out 9 or 12 but didn't ask how long it took them to get them. I wish I had more time. I didn't know what I was doing. I nice gentleman finally showed me that all I needed was a 2/0 hook and a piece of yarn. Oh well maybe some other time. Is there another place farther north to fish for the reds? I'd deffinately like to give it another shot.

Oh yeah, didn't see any kings but I saw the charters bringing them in. I was at the mouth of the river and people were talking about catching kings way farther up the river somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast