Thread: Birchwood EPM

Default Birchwood EPM

Curious - has anyone with an EPM membership ever gone past 10pm and been locked INSIDE the range?

Just curious - it seems it could happen easily of you're shooting and lose track of time

The gate is on a timer and will not work with your EPM card between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

I've never stayed past 10pm but I know for fact that it will not let you in before 7am,I tried just last weekend to get in at about 10 min to 7

Yes, I was aware of that. I'm referring to inadvertently staying PAST ten with your vehicle inside the gate.

Could be embarrassing!

Personal experience - no, but I have heard about people coming back the next day to pick up their vehicle .... once their EPM card would open the gate!

Haha - thats exactly what I was thinking. Call the wife and have her pick up you up and come back at 7am...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

When I was up there the other day, the IN, wouldn't work. You had to use the OUT to get IN.

The OLD gate was only made of one inch board. It seemed, like it got broken a lot of the time. I always speculated that someone got locked in, and broke the boards to get out.

Of course, it could have been vandalism too. ????????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yep, been there, done that. Here's your sign. I could have sworn the range closed at 11, not 10 pm.

Seems to me there should be a way to disassemble the gate with some tools. It is just a big bicycle chain. Of course I did not have any at the time so I had come back later for the vehicle after a phone call for a pick-up.

It may be the only place I have ever been locked IN to.

DUH

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Seems to me there should be a way to disassemble the gate with some tools. It is just a big bicycle chain. Of course I did not have any at the time so I had come back later for the vehicle after a phone call for a pick-up.

DUH
    I was as close as I've ever been to being locked in there, tonight. I left after 9 pm.

There should be a Phone Number posted, so you can call someone. There could even be a charge for someone coming down and opening the gate, but some provision should be made, for people who unintentionally get locked in.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

We're supposed to be so responsible and adult that we can carry guns safely, but we can't tell time?

And there is provision made if you get locked in. It's two part: the first part where you agree (as an EPM) that the gate automatically locks at 10PM, and the second part where you can call a ride to come get you and take you home until 7AM the next morning.

If I got locked in I sure would feel stupid, but I wouldn't say it wasn't my fault because I lost track of time. I would (and I think this may be the first time I have used this phrase) man up, call my wife, best friend, or taxi, and STFU. It would be a real good lesson, and I am pretty sure it wouldn't happen again. Or, I could sleep in the car until morning.

Then again, I may just need more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    We're supposed to be so responsible and adult that we can carry guns safely, but we can't tell time?

And there is provision made if you get locked in. It's two part: the first part where you agree (as an EPM) that the gate automatically locks at 10PM, and the second part where you can call a ride to come get you and take you home until 7AM the next morning.

If I got locked in I sure would feel stupid, but I wouldn't say it wasn't my fault because I lost track of time. I would (and I think this may be the first time I have used this phrase) man up, call my wife, best friend, or taxi, and STFU. It would be a real good lesson, and I am pretty sure it wouldn't happen again. Or, I could sleep in the car until morning.

Then again, I may just need more sleep.
    Anyone could forget the time, or run out of it for some reason. Everybody makes mistakes. (That's why we have erasers on our pencils.)

Yeah, I think anyone would feel stupid. They may even BE stupid.

If the people who ran the range were more concerned about the members, than accommodating themselves, they could just post a number on the gate. They could pay the Range Officer Double time, or someone else, for his time to come and open the gate somehow, and charge it to the Member.

They may even be able to turn the gate on, remotely.

That would be one suggestion/solution. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.