Thread: Milepost Gripe

Default Milepost Gripe

Is it me or are the miles off for the point of interests?

At first I thought maybe my odometer is off since I have over sized tires. But then I put the GPS on it. It starts off fine, then it gets further off.

Its based off the road mile posts.... Go off of them not your GPS or vehicle mileage.....
    Your mileage is off due to tires, pull offs, detours, fuel stops, whatever....GPS is straight line distance and is not accounting for terrain ups and downs or even turns in the road.....

The navi does highway miles not as the crow flys. But it shouldn't be off 7 miles within a 100 miles. Same with odometer. My odometer is calibrated with tires. But it may not be exact and expected it to be off but not by that much

Whenever they straighten out a section of road it creates disparities. When you head into Anchorage for the first time notice the Caribou Creek area and especially Mile 92-97. They cut a mountain in half and put the road through it.

Us Marines just push through and don't worry about miles
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As mentioned, the road has gotten shorter over the nearly 60 years it's been around. It's a good thing that hte road has been improved, but the mile markers have not been corrected.

Generally not a big deal, features tend to be rather spread out and don't compete for your attention

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As mentioned, the road has gotten shorter over the nearly 60 years it's been around. It's a good thing that hte road has been improved, but the mile markers have not been corrected.

Generally not a big deal, features tend to be rather spread out and don't compete for your attention
    normally its not, but when the wife is complaining where her next POI is, I don't want to keep hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    normally its not, but when the wife is complaining where her next POI is, I don't want to keep hearing it.

I just turn the CD player up and nod at my wife
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    Wife learned a long time ago that complaining is useless.

There are mile markers every mile, every half-mile in some areas. That is how the Milepost (and everyone else) gets directions in Alaska. It has little to do with how far you've physically driven from anywhere. Just look for the little green/white signs and ignore the vehicle odometer.

They don't redo the mile markers when they change the highways because we use the mile markers for physical addresses. You don't want everyone further down the road to have to change their address when you straighten out the road closer to the origin. Not to mention having to survey and move every single milepost sign.

BTW, a GPS figures miles traveled as a sum of track log points. Depending on your track settings, this "odometer" can be very accurate. If you use automatic settings, it will create more track log points as you go around a corner to account for your change in direction. When going in a straight line, it will make fewer points.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Give her the book and tell her to keep track. That's how I got the wife and kids to shut up. Since it's all layed out in order and the mile posts are along the road it's really simple.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The miles will get further apart....if you are driving the wrong direction.