Thread: Anyone been on the Nush Lately???

Question Anyone been on the Nush Lately???

Hitting the Nushagak next week for a week at Jake's. Anyone have a current fishing report???
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Default Report

Friday was good. Sat-Tues not so good. Today some bigger fish and a few more fish. Still no big glut of fish. I head down Thursday night for a week. Should be good by the weekend.

You can check the weir counts on the ADF&G website. It is usually a day or two old but gives you an idea plus history.

Default Nushagak Kings

My brother works out there and it sounds like maybe the big push started last night.

Tomans blog has shown a lot of fish. Including nice chums.

Any more Nush news???
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Default Monday and Tuesday

Fished Monday and Tuesday. Slow (for the Nush) is the best description I can give, though the fish were beautiful, sea-liced and hard fighting. Drifting didn't work very well, I'd say due to not quite enough clarity and low numbers of fish. We caught most of our fish back bouncing or back trolling, with some on plugs and some on eggs. Saw lots of people trying to down troll but few hook ups for them. Most of the fish I saw others hook were by backtrolling. Any day the counts should pick up. Sunday afternoon an upriver wind began to blow, so it should get better any time. We did catch a few chums as well. We did not catch many jacks. Most of the kings we caught were either around 15 lbs or around 25 lbs.

Default not so good outlook

Subject: Nushagak-Mulchatna King Salmon Sport Fishing Emergency Order

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
    Denby S. Lloyd, Commissioner
    DIVISION OF SPORT FISH
    Charlie O. Swanton, Director
    Area Management Biologist
    (907) 842-2427
    Date: June 25, 2010

Nushagak-Mulchatna Drainage King Salmon Sport Fishing Bag and
    Possession Limits Reduced
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is reducing the bag and possession limit for king
    salmon 20 inches or greater in length to 1 per day in all waters of the Nushagak-Mulchatna
    drainage effective 12:01 a.m., Sunday, June 27, 2010.
    These restrictions are made in accordance with 5 AAC 06.361 Nushagak-Mulchatna King
    Salmon Management Plan adopted by the Alaska Board of Fisheries. The plan directs the
    department to reduce the bag and possession limits for king salmon 20 inches or greater in
    length from 2 fish, only one of which may exceed 28 inches in length, to 1 fish 20 inches or
    greater in length in the sport fishery when the department projects the total inriver return will
    be less than 75,000 fish. This restriction is implemented so that the sport fishery does not
    exceed the 5,000 fish guideline harvest level when projected inriver returns are less than
    Through June 24 an estimated total of 19,064 king salmon have passed the sonar at Portage
    Creek with a projected a total inriver return of less than 75,000.
    The department will continue to monitor the king salmon escapement and may liberalize this
    restriction or further restrict the sport fishery as specified in the management plan. For more
    information call the area office in Dillingham at (907) 842-2427, or the Dillingham Sport Fish
    regulation recorder 907-842-REGS (842-7347).