Thread: Good lakes to swim in

Default Good lakes to swim in

I like to some hiking, just moved here from Detroit. Yesterday while on a hike I came across a nice little lake and had a cool swim for about an hour. I would like to do that again--does anybody have a suggestion as to where I might go?

Default Duck Itch

Be careful about swimming in small lakes in AK. There is a prevalent bacterial skin infection known as "Duck Itch". It usually occurs when you swim in small, shallow lakes that don't have a lot of fresh water exchange. The bacteria is associated with the feces from waterfowl ( ducks, geese, swans, etc. ) and causes a rash that is difficult to clear up. Also be careful about giardia, as well as other parasitic intestinal bugs.

Default Little Campbell

It's not out away from town, but Little Campbell Lake on the edge of Kincaid Park is one of the cleanest lakes in the area for swimming. This is where we host triathlons each summer, so we test the water quality each year. There are only a couple birds that use the lake, so you don't have the problem with swimmer's itch. Lots of cross country ski trails to hike around on before/after swimming if you want, but nothing like hiking in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It's not out away from town, but Little Campbell Lake on the edge of Kincaid Park is one of the cleanest lakes in the area for swimming. This is where we host triathlons each summer, so we test the water quality each year. There are only a couple birds that use the lake, so you don't have the problem with swimmer's itch. Lots of cross country ski trails to hike around on before/after swimming if you want, but nothing like hiking in the mountains.

Hey, thanks guys for the info. Regarding Little Campbell Lake, have you folks ever seen people swim there before?

two thumbs up for chugach state park and hatcher pass area alpine lakes.

glacially fed waterslides (not so steep angled falls over bedrock) are also quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
    Hey, thanks guys for the info. Regarding Little Campbell Lake, have you folks ever seen people swim there before?
    I swim there at least once a week with a group from our Alaska Triathlon Club. Monday evening at 6:00pm is our "standard" swim night. There is a group that meets sometime on Wednesday as well, but I can't recall exactly when. Most swim with wetsuits as the water temps range typically in the low to mid 60's, but if it's been sunny out for a number of consecutive days, it warms up fairly quickly and can get to around 70 if not a tad higher. You will see people in there on sunny days without wetsuits, but not many of them.

How are Goose Lake and Jewel lake for swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
    How are Goose Lake and Jewel lake for swimming?
    I know people swim in both, but there is a much higher rate of "swimmers itch" resulting from the large numbers of birds that use those lakes as well. I haven't tried either one myself, but hear about others who do.