Thread: Bicycle as pack mule

Question Bicycle as pack mule

I知 interested in trying to modify an older bike into a two wheel mule. The NVA managed to move millions of tons south on your basic bike during Vietnam by slinging it over the frame, putting a stick on the handle bars and start walking. I知 trying to get a little more sophisticated than that, but not much. The goal would be to be able to sling a 60lb pack or two and/ or meat bags on the bike without jamming stuff in the wheels, sprockets etc. I知 not really interested in riding the bike, just using it as a pack mule. Any experience, idea or photos out there?

Thanks,
    Dave

I guess you could make a trike but that's three wheels. Or, rig up a cart. Here are two we made to pull behind bikes and then behind our butts. I liked my friends design better than mine. It's on the right. You could connect it a little more solidly. We used bunji cords.

Nice looking rigs. Are they adapted from something else or dreamed up from scratch? I was hoping to keep construction down to a minimum and stick with the narrow bike profile though.

I did try a two wheel game cart once and swore (a lot) er, I mean never again. I didn't have the lower profile and balance point of your rigs.

that is a really nice set up there .. i do like your friend set up it pretty neat set up

These were a one shot deal for a specific hunt. If I were doing it again I'd put a brake on the cart for when walking with it. But, on the bikes no prob. But, when you start riding a bike up a muddy road with 80lbs of trailer behind you, it's a work out!

SNYD, I have just bought a hardtail Mt. bike with 29" tires. I want to have a heavy-duty rear rack made for it. Anyone you would suggest building it. Thank you.

still looking

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I guess you could make a trike but that's three wheels. Or, rig up a cart. Here are two we made to pull behind bikes and then behind our butts. I liked my friends design better than mine. It's on the right. You could connect it a little more solidly. We used bunji cords.

That's awesome! I need something like that for my Resurrection Trail Caribou Hunt in August.
    The closest thing I could find aside from building my own is a bob trailer.