Thread: GPS

Default GPS

I have a 20 foot Alumaweld Super V LT and I would like to get a GPS for the few times I go out for halibut (maybe 6 per year). I already have a garmin fish finder / depth sounder so I don't want a combo unit. Should I just buy a hand held unit that I can use for hiking /hunting as well or a non portable model? I think for halibt I don't need maps (just x marks the spot) but for hiking that would be nice. Advice and recommendations please and include brand and model. Also, what features should I be looking for. Thanks folks!

hello,ive got a garmin gpsmap276c with alaska card,2 mounts in 2 defferent boat plus its portable comes with rechargeable battery,lighter plug to run off of in boat,works great,what ever you get I would stick with garmin

The 276c looks good. However it is discontinued (but still available). I am not sure what the latest and greatest model is. Does anyone else have any recommendations? I think I'll go to west marine after work and see what they have.

Default gps mount

i have a Gamin 76c and works perfect for me. Moving maps, bread crum trail, way points, I believe it is waterproof. Battary and 12v. It is rugged as all get out. here is the mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

I used a handheld GPS on my previous boat (21 ft Hewescraft) and it worked great. Pop it in to the holder and plug into a cigarette lighter and away you go. When you are done boating toss the GPS into your backpack and you are ready to hunt/hike/whatever and you don't have to worry about you unit getting stolen. I agree Garmin is the way to go and I would opt for one with a color screen. You will really love your GPS on the boat if you ever get caught in fog or darkness.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

^X2. I have the same setup to include the Hewes and wouldnt change a thing.