Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Halibut

Default Homer Halibut

Anyone have the scoop on the 'butts in Homer? How's the fishing? Anything big been caught? My buddy and I are planning a trip down around July 18th.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Default Bored?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Salmon Sith View Post
    Anyone have the scoop on the 'butts in Homer? How's the fishing? Anything big been caught? My buddy and I are planning a trip down around July 18th.
    You must be bored at work today? seriously...hows the fishing in Homer?

http://www.homerhalibutderby.com/
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

We went down in June and the fishing was great. The weather, not so much. We got out to some of our good spots and got some nice halibut. A few in the 45# range, one around 65# and one that in the books would go 109#. Didn't get to go as far as we would liked to have gone but hopefully we can in July for Lingcod season.

There were 4 of us fishing for 5 days and we all got our fish without any trouble each day.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

We did well (limits) when the weather gave us a brief break last week.

Default A little off topic....

It's a little bit off topic, but where is a good place to tent camp with your boat trailer while in Homer?...don't want to do the Spit thing, too noisy and too many folks wandering around...I found this place called the Farm, I believe, but they don't want boat trailers...Other than heading back to Anchor River, any ideas?

Default Sunday, June 20

Beautiful day, flat water @ 6am, fished off Pt. Adams, slight contrarian breeze so we had a little tide chop. Nothing caught over 30#, filled our card so headed back by 11am. Cleaned fish in Seldovia, back in port by 2pm for a late lunch. Only problem was that we blew a trailer tire, no damage, just part of the experience and seemingly endless expense of owning a boat.....I mean "joy" of owning a boat.

If you're talking about butt fishing it's never been better. This is a pic of one we got today "out in the middle" and we also got a limit going down from about 35 lbs. to about 20 or so. This one was about 65 lbs.

I've been limiting on 15 to 30 pounders every day I've gone out and I haven't been going that far, either.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    It's a little bit off topic, but where is a good place to tent camp with your boat trailer while in Homer?...don't want to do the Spit thing, too noisy and too many folks wandering around...I found this place called the Farm, I believe, but they don't want boat trailers...Other than heading back to Anchor River, any ideas?
    The City of Homer has a campground up in the same area as the hospital off Bartlett. I've never actually been in there but have friends that have stayed there and they said it is very nice. It's called Karen Hornaday Park.

Also, you can just leave your boat trailer in the parking lots near the boat launch. It has a 7 day max stay limit.

Thanks for th update! Keep em coming!

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Today's catch. The one in the middle is 42" which is in the area of 34 lbs.

Rough day out there today, but with persistence it can be done.

We also caught 7 skates in a period of about an hour. I think there was a convention going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

We also caught 7 skates in a period of about an hour. I think there was a convention going on.
    Skates aren't bad eating, Dave. You should encourage your clients to keep them. A little more meat for the freezer, a little less competition for the halibut.

Default 20 fathoms last sat

Had some family from the Valley drive down and we took them out front of town last Saturday. Their stomachs seemed pretty sensitive so tho it was pretty nice I tried to stay closer than where the charter fleet was working,
    and we came up with 78 lbs on four fish, the perfect size in my opinion, they were in 17-20 fathoms last Sat. and everyone was very happy,

along with Dinner at the Mad Fish (is that the right name?) in Seldovia, it was a great time.
    Fishing was a bit skinny for the effort I think, seems the area may be worked pretty hard but that's what we get for needing to stay close, and like I said "All were Happy"

Really Cool that the harbor folks in Seldovia let me tie up a 38 foot Longliner right in front of the ramp for four hours, no charge to come up and walk around and enjoy dinner, That's good harbor relations,

Highly recommend goin' in there for dinner sometime.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

"Brian M", I've asked this question before, and never received an answer. On a skate, how do you clean, what do you clean, and how do you prepare / cook it? I wouldn't mind trying it. I've caught some monster skates and usually cut the leader, leaving the hook in. Sometimes they're too hard to get out without doing major damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    "Brian M", I've asked this question before, and never received an answer. On a skate, how do you clean, what do you clean, and how do you prepare / cook it? I wouldn't mind trying it. I've caught some monster skates and usually cut the leader, leaving the hook in. Sometimes they're too hard to get out without doing major damage.
    I've said this a time or two, but I keep forgetting. One of these days I'll take some pictures of how I fillet the skate wings. It's not too tough once you do it a time or two, but a bit different than other fish. I fillet from the hard cartilage near the body out towards the tips of the wings. The meat stops before the wings do, so you end up with a piece of meat that is maybe 60% the size of the wing. As for prep, we have sauteed ours in butter and garlic and have been pleased. I saw some on the menu at Orso in Anchorage, but I forgot to ask how they are prepared. I'd like to try some other methods, though.

Just thought I'd toss this one in here.

One of my clients pulled a little chicken in today (maybe 7 lbs. at the most) and it had a tag in it's gill plate. Unfortunately it was a tag from the 2008 derby, so it was only worth a derby hat to the guy. But I called derby HQ and they told me it would have been worth $1000 back in '08. Oh well. Can't win em all. Here's a pic:

Can you imagine how small it must have been when they tagged it if it's been out there for two years and was only about 7 lbs.?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've said this a time or two, but I keep forgetting. One of these days I'll take some pictures of how I fillet the skate wings. It's not too tough once you do it a time or two, but a bit different than other fish. I fillet from the hard cartilage near the body out towards the tips of the wings. The meat stops before the wings do, so you end up with a piece of meat that is maybe 60% the size of the wing. As for prep, we have sauteed ours in butter and garlic and have been pleased. I saw some on the menu at Orso in Anchorage, but I forgot to ask how they are prepared. I'd like to try some other methods, though.
    Thanks Brian. I'm going to have to try that. I've been told it is a real PITA to clean them like that and especially the bigger ones. So I just don't deal with them. We caught one today and we "hummed and hawed" about keeping it, but then just tossed it. We had enough halibut in the fish box to contend with and didn't even want to deal.

But thanks for the info. Maybe the next one. I've heard it is pretty sweet meat. In the realm of "scallop" tasting and I LOVE scallops.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

Can you imagine how small it must have been when they tagged it if it's been out there for two years and was only about 7 lbs.?
    i think the chamber tags lots of small fish in the "chicken patch" so they can reasonably persuade folks on the 1/2 day and overnite trips to buy derby tickets. i suspect that the odds per "angler hour" are probably greater of catching a tagged fish than a derby winner.

growth rate does make one wonder... bio's say that fish of the same age are not growing as large as they used to, fish that by age would have been 100 pounds 10 years ago are nowhere near that these days.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i suspect that the odds per "angler hour" are probably greater of catching a tagged fish than a derby winner.
    I'd say if only one person wins the derby and multiple people catch tagged fish you'd have to be correct.

Hi Coho Dave

Do you think there are still trolling opportunities for kings out of homer either at pogi or the bluff? I usually fish ~ 14 miles west of the spit around the slack. Probably going to the seldovia 4th festivities and was looking to poke around new areas. any general thoughts?

akseagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've said this a time or two, but I keep forgetting. One of these days I'll take some pictures of how I fillet the skate wings.
    I, for one, would be interested in seeing those pics. I have returning friends up right now, and one of these fellas is the "skate king". I might take a closer look at one this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast