Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Montana Creek Report

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    690

    Default Montana Creek Report

    Last week, thursday, hit the park streams with little success. Managed one bow' at Montana creek and nothing after that. There were a few people catching but nothing worth a drive for! Headin' up again mostlikely this week sometime, or a lake in the valley. Also hit willow and walked around same day and didn't find anything. Where are all the fish!?!

  2. #2
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    nope no good this pic was clearly photo shopped!

  3. #3

    Thumbs up

    You are not going to find many Kings in the clear water like in your pic, until around the 4th to the 10th of July. You need to hit the mainstem of the Su in the silty water, where the fresh water Tributaries dump in.

    Try going to Resolute Drive, and go to the end of the road. The Sheep Creek Slough is right there and if you walk down the hill and to the left, it will put you in a decent hole.

    You can also try going down Wilderness Rim Drive and go to where Grays Creek dumps in the Su. It is on your right at the end of the road.

    Good Luck and keep hitting the rainbows every chance you get. They eat lots of salmon eggs and smolt, so they need to be agressively fished.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    to bad I can't save that info, I am sure it would come in handy.

  5. #5

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    to bad I can't save that info, I am sure it would come in handy.
    Why can't you "save" it? The computer will do anything you want it to.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    They weren't in sheep creek slough either. The Jedi, BigCox, and I all fished Montana and Sheep this past weekend. We caught and released 9 kings. The fish are still around the mouths in the silt. We caught all of our kings at the mouth of Sheep.

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Dang! Nice numers. Were you fly fishing or spinnin'?

  8. #8
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Drifting a corky/squid rig which, as you know I'm sure, can be done on a fly rod. We were using casting rigs at the time.

    Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    squarebanks
    Posts
    23

    Thumbs down ???

    hey there Akres your "aggressive rainbow fishing" ideology sounds alot like airial wolf hunting to me.

  10. #10
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by EMMETT View Post
    hey there Akres your "aggressive rainbow fishing" ideology sounds alot like airial wolf hunting to me.
    tree hugger! You voted for obama ddin't you?!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    squarebanks
    Posts
    23

    Talking stirred up a hornets nest with that one hehe

    sorry buddy i just dont see how killing rainbows is gonna help anything

  12. #12
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    lol naw I am just messing with you. And that was the best I could come up with.

  13. #13
    Member egreife's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak
    Posts
    148

    Cool question for akres

    I've seen a few posts from you about targeting the trout. I love to fish them, and grayling, but don't care much about eating them. What would you suggest I do with these trout if I don't want to take them home? Just curious...

  14. #14

    Default

    Well, not that you were asking me, but i guess you could let them go. I know it seems incredibly ridiculous, thinking of how many salmon you are killing, since that rainbow is going to eat salmon eggs that are floating down river, that will probably never have a fish hatch from them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •