Thread: Appreciate Suggestions

Default Appreciate Suggestions

I am in the early stages of planning my first and probably only trip to AK. I am a lifetime hunter and fisherman. The trip will be with my wife who fishes some and 4 in-laws some of who don't, and the visit will be sight seeing oriented, so hunting is not a reality. I can't see making the trip without fishing for a day or three, even if I have to leave a couple of days early and meet up with them after fishing. I know zero about where, when and with who, a good experience can be had. I would be looking for info on salmon/halibut fishing outfitters, charters etc. Any suggestions on who provides a good experience for a reasonable price?

Thanks, Bill

My wife and I used Piscatorial Pursuits last year and booked again with them this year. They are a small operation out of the Soldotna area and are really nice people. The owner primarily fishes the Kasilof, but the people who they sub out to do their Halibut trips, Kenai river trips and flyout trips are great. I think they are very reasonably priced for the quality and experience they provide. The Kenai peninsula is a great area, close to Anchorage, but has some wonderful fishing opportunities, great towns (Seward and Homer were our favorites), and phenominal sightseeing. For lodging we stay with Rae and Paul at Coho Lake Cabins in Kasilof, some of the nicest people we have ever met. They truely made us feel like family, and their cabins are extremely clean and neat. They are also centrally located to the Kasilof, the Kenai, Anchor Point and not a bad drive to Homer.
    Good luck, planning your first trip up there can be really tough, so many companies. Its well worth it though, you'll be blown away.

Default You will get better results...

Bill,
    If you tell everyone where your going to be visiting and what time of year you will get better suggestions. Lay out your plans on this thread and then folks who know those areas will chime in with what will be hot around there at that time. There is a big difference in what you may find for fishing say up around Denali park, or if your going to be in Homer.

-sc

Give these folks a look. They have lodging & fishing boats. Will work hard for fish or possibly create a custom trip

http://www.millerslandingak.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    Bill,
    If you tell everyone where your going to be visiting and what time of year you will get better suggestions. Lay out your plans on this thread and then folks who know those areas will chime in with what will be hot around there at that time. There is a big difference in what you may find for fishing say up around Denali park, or if your going to be in Homer.

-sc
    Yeah, it would really help to know where you are planning on visiting in AK and when. IMHO if you're not planning on fishing out of Homer you're going to miss some great fishing, though Seward has some bonus points, too. Or maybe you need to fish both!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for the suggestions. We will be having a family meeting in a few weeks on the specifics, and at that time I will have a better idea of where the group wants to travel to. When I know more I may be back for some more information. Homer keeps popping up as a place I should probably check out. Hopefully I can persuade the group that we really need to visit there for a few days! This has been a big help, again thanks, Bill

Fish both Seward & Homer, you can't go wrong. Also work the highway system for grayling

One important thing to do is do not scrimp on time or fishing charters. After operating a charter business out of Seward and watching people come to Alaska for their "Trip of a lifetime" Only to be disappointed because of weather or just a bad day of fishing. I encouraged people to book at least 4 charters from different places with different operators as well as different areas. If you do this it UPS your chances significantly on your "Trip of a lifetime".

Smile Get a book

In addition to all the charters mentioned there is great fishing and scenery available along most of the roadways in Alaska. A book like the "Highway Angler" will let you know what you are driving by and when the fishing is good there. It will also give you good information about accessing places and even what lures to use. It is definitely worth a 20-30$ investment and will cover the entire road system. Good Luck and let us know how you do when you are done.

Greg