Thread: Spin..... Splash

Default Spin..... Splash

I learned a valuable lesson tonight as I went to spin my boat for the first time, you must sit down and hold on tight! The kid who saw it happen said my dive was a "6" for technical merit and form. Providentially, I was wearing my life jacket as my waders filled up with water really fast, and, I had asked a gentleman I'd just met on the shore if he wanted a ride. He quickly threw the boat in neutral as I acclimatized to the rather warm water at Finger lake. If you don't have a plan to get back into your boat, figure it out before you are in the water. My boat has a lip at the bottom of the transom and I was able to get my foot on that and pull myself in. Waders full of water make it much harder to get into a boat after an unintentional dive. Well, I wish I had a video to share but just wanted to remind you all to be safe, wear a life jacket, and hold on tight if you are trying to spin your jet boat.

Dive performed: dubbed "the superman" by Joe
    Dive platform: 20' Koffler sled with 140 Johnson jet

Man, I'm glad you're okay, but you sure made me laugh my ass off picturing that whole scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Man, I'm glad you're okay, but you sure made me laugh my ass off picturing that whole scenario.
    I thought the same thing

Good post.

Your title reminded me of a couple of guys that pulled and cussed on an older outboard on a small skiff for 3 days in front of our place without any luck. The next day they're backing their truck down to the water with a big Evinrude box in it.

Lots of excitement getting the 25 mounted, then it started like a dream.

Off they go, and I went back to what I was doing. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Then dead silence.

You've figured out what's coming, haven't you?

I looked up and a couple of hundred yards offshore the guys are standing up looking over the side into the water and the transom is bare.

Sad, sad, sad, sad.

Back next day with dive gear, and several tanks of air later they return empty handed, load the bare boat onto a trailer, and I never see them again.

Sad, sad, sad, sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good post.

Your title reminded me of a couple of guys that pulled and cussed on an older outboard on a small skiff for 3 days in front of our place without any luck. The next day they're backing their truck down to the water with a big Evinrude box in it.

Then dead silence.

I looked up and a couple of hundred yards offshore the guys are standing up looking over the side into the water and the transom is bare.

Sad, sad, sad, sad.

Back next day with dive gear, and several tanks of air later they return empty handed, load the bare boat onto a trailer, and I never see them again.

Sad, sad, sad, sad.
    What a simply awful story! I can't even imagine!!

Default the other lesson

Quote Originally Posted by fishslayer View Post
    I learned a valuable lesson tonight ...Providentially, I was wearing my life jacket as my waders filled up with water really fast...
    I never wear my waders while in my boat, while in water deeper than I can stand up in. Of course I'm in a canoe and likely more prepared for H2O than most power boaters are.

Fishslayer, I was at Finger lake just yesterday to do some fishing and get my jet boat out for a bit. After pulling my boatand consequently 2 other fellows did just the same right behind me, we parked side by side while we stowed our gear. We talked while doing so, then another gentleman walked up and began talking to the 3 of us about a guy who was out there a few days ago, as soon as he started to relate the events, the 140hp jet, the "Superman" dive and the difficulty getting into the boat from the water, I immediately recognized your post here .

He was rather entertaining in the telling and seemed to be friendly fellow .

Default Tooooooo funny!

Serious, granted. Water safety always is. But I busted a gut and shed a tear reading your trials and tribulations. What a picture perfect story!
    Glad all came out well in the end. Lots of good reminders here, like, where was the tether? Probably like mine it was wrapped around something to keep it out of the way. Maybe I ought to rethink that. I do lots of solo time in the boat.

I was at Finger Lake yesterday and the older gentleman related the superman dive to me as well. Nice guy, very chatty. If he keeps it up all of Alaska will know of this story by the end of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I was at Finger Lake yesterday and the older gentleman related the superman dive to me as well. Nice guy, very chatty. If he keeps it up all of Alaska will know of this story by the end of summer.
    LOL, I have been spreading it around Kuwait and Lower Alabama as well. It is now an international story and would have certainly been a youtube hit as well!

I was laughing as soon as I came up for air... I figured the experience was worth sharing At first Joe said he wouldn't talk about it, I laughed and said it was a story worth sharing. How often do you get to see something like that?!!
    The kill switch tether was wrapped safely around the steering cable, I'll be rethinking that also. I could just imagine me swimming in waders after my boat as it's cruising across the lake.... I'm glad Joe was there!

Default sure glad

You did not mess up the tether. That would have been a bummer!

Wondering, for grins and giggles, how many folks wear their tether/kill switch?

Golly, I don't even have one for my old Merc. It was bypassed before I ever got it. Little tiller handle 25 on a 16' Ryan craft. If I fall out of that or my 20' w/ an 88 they will both go until they hit something solid.

Now imagine the boat doing circles around you, prop cutting the water, as your boots try to drag you down but your PFD keeps you at the surface where the boat can hit you? Hmm, get hit and cut or drown. Nice choices!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Then dead silence.

Sad, sad, sad, sad.

Sad, sad, sad, sad.

Ive been on a boat where this happened...trolling in Green Bay, back of boat comes up on a wave, goes back down....motor does not stay with transom and goes down into the water. My dad managed to grab the fuel lines and held it for a second or two before they broke and down it went...

I'm pretty anal now about those transom clamps!!!

[/QUOTE] Now imagine the boat doing circles around you, prop cutting the water, as your boots try to drag you down but your PFD keeps you at the surface where the boat can hit you? Hmm, get hit and cut or drown. Nice choices! [/QUOTE]

Wow, ARR, I think you just defined HELL!!!

Thumbs up good reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Wondering, for grins and giggles, how many folks wear their tether/kill switch?
    I'm guilty.

After reading this I'm re-thinking though.