Thread: Need some Cast Performance Load Data

Default Need some Cast Performance Load Data

Hey all,
    I'm loading up some 300grWFNGC for my Redhawk in .44mag and I'm planning on using Unique or Blue Dot, CCI lg pistol primers and Rem cases. These are going to be my bear thumpers when I'm fishing.
    Does anyone have a decent starting point for either of these two powders? I'm coming up short in my search.

Thanks!!

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Hey all,
    I'm loading up some 300grWFNGC for my Redhawk in .44mag and I'm planning on using Unique or Blue Dot, CCI lg pistol primers and Rem cases. These are going to be my bear thumpers when I'm fishing.
    Does anyone have a decent starting point for either of these two powders? I'm coming up short in my search.

Thanks!!

Mountaintrekker
    I'm no expert, but I'm betting that the experts will tell you that Blue Dot or Unique aren't the best powders to use for bear thumper loads.

This is not to say, you can't do it, but the fact that there is little data for them might indicate, it isn't the best idea. ???? You MIGHT find something at www.handloads.com ??

H4227, H110, 2400, or something like that is called for. Didn't CP sends loading data in the box with the bullets?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default cp loads

use h 110/w296, these bullets really move when motivated by these powders! i wont quote charges, but all that ive loaded from modern data have shot great.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

Unique and blue dot are not the best choices for heavy for caliber bullets. You can try 2400 if you like but the results won't be much better with bullets above 240 grns or so. You may also want to think about using magnum pistol primers too. As the others already said H110 is the powder you should try. Here is my load for a Super Redhawk: I shoot a 300grn WFNGC over 20.0 grains of H110 with CCI 350 primer. Remington cases cut to 1.280" and an OAL of 1.600". Make sure you use a good roll crimp as well.

Default Ditto

save the blue dot and unique for plinkers w/ 240gr swcs.

H110/WW296 or Lil Gun are the way to go for Bear Loads. H4227 works in a pinch, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Check the manuals and see what velocities you can get with each of the above powders - you'll start to notice a trend.

Nate

Thanks guys... still learning on some of these. The box from Cast Performance didn't include anything but a disclaimer.
    I'll look up some loads with H110 and go buy a pound.

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Thanks guys... still learning on some of these. The box from Cast Performance didn't include anything but a disclaimer.
    I'll look up some loads with H110 and go buy a pound.

Mountaintrekker
    Mine had a little paper with some load data. I was hopin yours did too. If I could find what I did with it, Probably stuck in some loading manual, I'd pass it along.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I will give you a load. Use 21.5 gr of H110 and a Fed 150 primer. If it is super, super cold you can use a 155 primer. Since you are fishing, use the standard primer.
    This is not a max load but is the most accurate and no bear will not be shot through and through.
    Those other powders are wrong.
    Don't believe the mag primer stuff, the .44 case is actually too small. You can also use a CCI 300.
    It has to be well below zero before H110 and 296 MIGHT ---MIGHT need a mag primer. They triple groups other wise.
    Now I know you don't need tiny groups for a close bear but that boolit and load is good for hunting anything.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I will give you a load. Use 21.5 gr of H110 and a Fed 150 primer. If it is super, super cold you can use a 155 primer. Since you are fishing, use the standard primer.
    This is not a max load but is the most accurate and no bear will not be shot through and through.
    Those other powders are wrong.
    Don't believe the mag primer stuff, the .44 case is actually too small. You can also use a CCI 300.
    It has to be well below zero before H110 and 296 MIGHT ---MIGHT need a mag primer. They triple groups other wise.
    Now I know you don't need tiny groups for a close bear but that boolit and load is good for hunting anything.
    Nope, it's 1 grn ABOVE max in every manual I have. They all vary a bit but Sierra, Hodgdon, Swift, Nosler and Lyman all list the max load for H110 between 19 and 20.5 grains. Every manual also lists magnum pistol primers except Nosler uses WLP.

I found the little paper from a box of Cast perf 300 grn wfncg 44 "boolits" and the only load they list for a 44 mag are two starting loads. Here they are: 20.5 grns of W296 or 15.0 grns of AA#9.

Depending on the revolver at the time I have always found 19.0 grains to 20.5 grains of 296 or H-110 has always given me the best accuracy with a 300 grain bullet I mold myself. I would like to mention that the two powders I mention are the same and manufactured by the same manufacturer, the only difference in the two are purely the difference from lot to lot. It is also the best and only powder I use for medium to heavy bullets in any caliber from 357 mag thru 460 S&W. I have used it for over 30 years and Mr. J. D. Jones was the man that made me aware of the fact it is only the difference in the lable between the two way back in 1984. Believe me this is the powder you should find best for your bullet in 44 mag, at 19.0 to 20.5 grains!

Thanks to all for the info. I found a pound of H110 for under $20.00 locally and I plan on loading up a box or two.

Mountaintrekker

Here's data http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

H110/W295 are good but try some LilGun, I have a bunch (9lbs) of H110 and a couple pounds of W295 gathering dust since I tried some Lilgun a couple years ago.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona