Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof opener report

Default Kasilof opener report

Looks like favorable conditions for the opener this weekend. thewhop and I will be soaking ourselves in the mouth of the Kasilof. Hope to see you there folks!

Tonight...SW wind 25 kt diminishing to 20 kt after midnight. Seas 5 ft. Patchy fog. .Wed...S wind 15 kt. Seas 2 ft. Patchy fog. .Wed night through Thu night...S wind 20 kt. Seas 5 ft. .Fri through sun...SW wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED EVENING SHOWERS OVER THE
    MOUNTAINS. PATCHY FOG AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE 40S. SOUTHWEST WIND
    10 TO 20 MPH...DIMINISHING BY MIDNIGHT.
    .WEDNESDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED AFTERNOON SHOWERS OVER THE
    MOUNTAINS. HIGHS AROUND 60 EXCEPT AROUND 70 INLAND. SOUTH TO
    SOUTHWEST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.
    .WEDNESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. ISOLATED EVENING SHOWERS OVER THE
    MOUNTAINS. LOWS IN THE 40S. SOUTHWEST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.
    .THURSDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING MOSTLY
    CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE MID 50S TO MID 60S. SOUTHWEST WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.
    .THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE 40S. SOUTHWEST WIND 10
    TO 20 MPH.
    .FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS 55 TO
    .FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
    LOWS IN THE 40S. HIGHS 55 TO 65.
    .SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 45 TO 55. HIGHS 55
    TO 65.

Those SW winds are MONEY. WOOT WOOT, can't wait to dip!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Smile sure hope we have better luck than what is posted...

On your face book page there BC Robb. Those fish you were catching were smaller than Hooligan!!! But!!! I have faith you will come through like you always do and pull those fish out of your A_s. Hope the fish are in and anyone reading this better prepare for the Kenai being shut down by July 21 or so. I hate to say that but if the run is as predicted, we will all lose. Better get your fish early. I'm not greedy, I'll share!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Confirmed opener report

Beaches along Deep Creek have been lined with jumping Sockeye for THREE DAYS NOW. Should be some AMAZING dipping on Friday. Combined with the great weather and favorable tides - how can we possibly go wrong?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Kasilof

On the south shore, are there decent areas in the background (away from the beach/activity/noise with good ground) to pitch a 10x10 tent? Is that allowed? Are there porta-potties near? Thanks for any info.

akcub66,
    Just solidified with the wife, we are headed down Thursday and will return Sat or Sun. I am taking the travel trailer. Waiting on the Cohoe Campground to return my call as that is plan 1 for camping and I am not going to bother with wheelers this trip. (My first Kasilof Run) Just an FYI in case you wanted to link up.
    If you didn't know, I am the guy you were going to go with to Chitna last weekend. PM'd you my cell Number.

Yeah, I've been watching those winds too. Might really be a good time to go. My wife is out of town this weekend. Kids are too young to leave alone on the beach. Anyone want to rent them?

I haven't seen any commercial openers yet. I called the hot line, said Kas can open any time after 20Jun once the escapement reaches 50,000. Cumulative in river is at 13,000 since yesterday.

I've only dipped the Kasilof once, and it was many many years ago, for all I know it might have been the Kenai, I was young, now I usually go to the Copper. Anyway, how do you dipnet the Kasilof? Where do I park, what are the techniques/equipment used? Can I use the same gear I use in Chitina?

Thanks,
    Bobble

Commercial hotline today:

23,000 reds in the river. 10,000 more than yesterday. Can open when escapement reaches 50,000. Normal season opener 28Jun.

Sounds like a good weekend to go unless they open it to comms after a big spurt of fish passes the counter.

Dippers, your mission is to prevent that from happening!

Default It gets better!

Today...S wind 10 kt increasing to 20 kt in the afternoon. Seas 2 ft building to 5 ft. Patchy morning fog. .Tonight...S wind 20 kt diminishing to 10 kt by midnight. Seas 5 ft subsiding to 2 ft. .Fri...SW wind 10 kt increasing to 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 3 ft. .Fri night through sun...SW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft. .Mon...W wind 10 kt. Seas 2 ft.

Holy hats! Its the perfect storm for fishing! WOOT WOOT. Comm's should be pretty happy come monday and dippers next week should limit easily. WEST WINDS STARTING MONDAY; man... does it get any better?

I'll post pix and news after the suicide run tonight with the dipnets and crazy guys I talked into coming with.

thanks for the info

I might head down there this weekend, unless Chitina picks back up

anybody else ditching plans for Chitina to head to Kasilof?

Got a friend and his wife to go with me. Kids will have adult supervision now. Have 2 new nets from Ron that have not been wet yet. Can't wait to try them.

Comemercial hotline:

Estimated 32,000 fish in the river. No Comm openings yet.

Wow, I should have never borrowed that dipnet. I am addicted. Fished 2 1/2 hours and have 6 fish. I guess that's good for my first rodeo. Man, this is fun. Pics on dads camera. Will post later. Big thanks to Tim for lending me his net. By the way, had netting and mending that one part of your net
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Thumbs down

Saturday morning 3am to 10am, 9 fish and a whole lot of work.. They say the afternoon/evening tide will be better.. I'm not so sure

Default Killed 'em!

Friday was slow during the day, flood tide yielded about a dozen fish but the outgoing was spectacular! Last three hours of falling tide is the hot shot. Filled up a cooler in nothing flat and rolled up back to the house... now the fun begins.

Escapement went down to just over 5k fish for Friday and I'm predicting that it'll be a little higher for today but not much; good Westerly wind during Friday so that should help a little. LOADS of people for the opener and lots of smiling faces. Best opener I've experienced on the Kasilof in many years.

Good luck everyone!

Back Country Robb,
    Glad to hear you did well, I'm on my way down here shortly. Were you fishing the north side or south side?

Default North Shore

North Shore-

The numbers are decreasing, so do not have your hopes up too high. You will probably get fish but the escapement counts are falling fast. They may even open the comm's tomorrow sometime!

907-262-9611 recorded info hotline.

(shoulda gone down for the opener like I originally said)

thanks robb

Exclamation Like a boss....

Fill your freezer, like a boss.....

Caught these in a 1 hour window three hours before low tide. WOOT WOOT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast