Thread: Hunting the Haul road

Default Hunting the Haul road

I live in Anchorage and i want to hunt Caribou, Griz, Moose
    what time of year do i need to go and were is the best place to go for ether
    of them. i do Bow as well as gun and have talked to some about it as far as the 5 mile off the road for gun but just need more info.
    My son is coming home from USMC to spend time with me and i really want to take him for a fun time so if anyone can advice me i would love the help
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Anchorage Alaska

Chuck - Welcome aboard the forums, and pass along a thanks to your son for his service to our country. Hopefull we can help you figure out a hunt that will work for you.

With regards to hunting the Haul Road for your noted species, it'll be tough to do all three at one time as the season and tag requirements vary considerably. Caribou is open for much of the year up there and is simply an over-the-counter tag. As you noted, it is bowhunting-only within 5 miles of the road. The 5 mile hike is doable, but make sure you read some threads about that experience (there are lots of them in the archives) before you consider it. Simply put, it is very difficult walking, especially with a caribou in the pack. There are air services up there that can fly you out to areas where you can hunt with a rifle as well.

Moose hunting is mostly restricted to drawing permit only off the Haul Road north of the Yukon River. The application period for the drawing permits is in Nov-Dec for the following year's hunting season, so if you're looking to hunt up there this year, moose will not be an option.

As for grizzly bears, it is open hunting in the spring, but is restricted by drawing permit in the fall. The application period is the same as noted above.

If you're looking to go this fall, caribou is your best bet along with a slight chance at a wolf. The best hunting is generally from mid August to mid September, but that varies widely with caribou movement. You can find caribou along various stretches of the road from July through April, so your options are pretty wide open. Meat from bulls will be mostly inedible during the rut from late September through late October, though, so take that into consideration while planning your hunt.

Default Thank you for the info

Thanks for the info on the Haul road
    it was my intent to only hunt one or the other not all tree just witch ever ones that over laps. Caribou are the big one for me and my son
    by the way thanks for the comment on his service as well he has been in Irac 3 times and will be going to Afghanistan most likely
    sorry back to hunting. the fly in and drop off is what i would like to do
    but a friend said he went and could only fly out one kill ? at a time
    cant afford two or three flights to get out meat out.
    is that true

Quote Originally Posted by Cgundersen View Post
    the fly in and drop off is what i would like to do
    but a friend said he went and could only fly out one kill ? at a time
    cant afford two or three flights to get out meat out.
    is that true
    That would entirely depend on the type of aircraft being chartered. I haven't flown out of Happy Valley (a commonly used departure point for caribou hunts off the Haul Road), but a number of members here have. Do a search for that using the advanced search option and you should get some ideas of who to call. Call a number of the flight services up there and ask them about rates and capabilities of hauling meat and hunters.

Default Wow, cg

You must be very proud of your son's devotion to freedom. I just needed to say Thank you 3 times for his 3 tours. Hope your time to hunt together go well. God Bless.

Default Thank you

I want to thank you Roland and Brian for you reply and the kind words
    i will do some searches on my tip with my son thanks again
    Also I am VERY proud of my son -- Hard to believe at one time I thought him to be the poster child
    for birth control LOL
    Last edited by Cgundersen; 06-23-2010 at 01:37. Reason: adding more

Well My self and my son are planning on a trip and would like to know when is the best time to go up

Chuck, I like to go up sometime during the first two weeks of September--after the bugs and before too much snow flys. A couple years ago it hit pretty heavy on September 18. Should be plenty of caribou around--especially for a fly-in hunt. I hope to be up there with my bow during that period. Thanks to your son for his service and good luck to you both. Joe

If you fly out of happy valley check with 70 degree north- they are great to fly with and Bob is a great pilot. They fly a Helio I put something like 600 lbs in it and had no issues. Problem is they told me last year that they pretty much stop flying after about the first week in september. Good luck.

Thanks for your input Joe it will be fun and i cant wait to see him and go hang out
    And it would be nice to get him on a Big ol bou that would be the best
    Hey Joe good hunting to you
    Chuck

I sent them an e-mail but never did get back to me
    ill just have to try the phone LOL
    thanks for the reply good hunting to ya
    Chuck