Thread: PSP alert in Southeast

Default PSP alert in Southeast

I sat next to a fellow last Friday as we all enjoyed a reception and local seafood. It now looks like the crab had PSP and the fellow passed away yesterday to the shock of the entire town of Haines. It turns out to be the second death in a week from PSP. Be very careful of local shellfish and know the symptoms of shellfish poisoning.

Default Weird

I'm not too educated on PSP recovery, but it seems weird that this guy passed away after being released from the hospital. And that other people (including yourself) ate the crab with no problem. It definitely makes me a little cautious about eating the local shellfish for awhile.

The same situation with the woman that passed away here in Juneau last week. Other people ate the clams too. The family wasn't convinced that it was PSP and were waiting for the results of an autopsy.

Just a question, were the crab you ate whole or had they been cleaned prior to cooking?

Mike was a great guy and at least twenty years as a commercial fisherman.Prayers to his family.He will be missed by many. All I can say is don't cook your crab whole,clean first. I have not seen Mike in fifteen years but I really miss him today
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Supposedly he ate the viscera of the crab, a big No-no. That is where PSP is found in crab.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

excuse my ignorance, but what is PSP?

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend.

Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

If you throw live whole crab in the pot the PSP is then spread all over the meat and in the juices on the meat you eat. Something is not right when two folks are sent home a week apart for the same illness and both die a day later
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the link. I'll have to be more careful....

Default Haines Crab tested

The plot thickens.....

DEC releases test results on paralytic shellfish poisoning
    (Juneau, Alaska). The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation today released test results on Dungeness crabs sampled for paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).
    Following a reported case of PSP in Haines, Alaska, DEC conducted tests on crabs in that area to determine levels of paralytic shellfish poison toxin. The tested crabs were collected following the reported illness.
    Test results show low levels of PSP in the viscera, or guts, of the sampled crabs. The levels are far below DEC legal limits and are not a health concern. No PSP was found in the crab meat.
    DEC will continue to test crabs from other parts of Southeast Alaska to verify these results.
    The agency has a rigorous commercial seafood monitoring program.
    DEC recommends generally that crab guts be removed and discarded and not eaten.
    The agency also warns all Alaskans that clams, mussels and cockles can contain lethal levels of PSP toxins and other contaminants. They should never be harvested from beaches that have not been tested.
    The DEC warning does not apply to commercially grown and harvested shellfish available in grocery stores and restaurants. They are tested regularly before going to the market.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.