Thread: Float Hunt woes...

Default Float Hunt woes...

This being my first attempt at a DIY float hunt is proving interesting. After many thoughts/rivers/comments from you folks, it seems I am still in the same predicament. One thought was the Malaren to the Sue, Tyone to Sue Lk & finally Lk Louise. Problem: You cannot float upstream. I want to float hunt unit 16, any suggestions??? Again, being the cheap arse that I am, I cannot afford a fly-in. I need a place with a somewhat accessible put in/take-out. Any suggestions?

Default Mclaren to .............

You're right, no getting up the Tyone to Lake Louise. This was covered in an earlier thread and there was a responce that might work. Offer a couple of Bens to someone to pick you up and take you out. Don't know of any outfitters that work out of there but there are a lot of good people that live up there. Post an offer on all the apropriate forums and you might get a bite.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by nibenza View Post
    You're right, no getting up the Tyone to Lake Louise. This was covered in an earlier thread and there was a responce that might work. Offer a couple of Bens to someone to pick you up and take you out. Don't know of any outfitters that work out of there but there are a lot of good people that live up there. Post an offer on all the apropriate forums and you might get a bite.

Good luck
    I posted on the power boat forum~ Hopefully I'll get a taker...

I'm from Fairbanks and a recent transplant to Wasilla. I have a new friend that has a cabin on Lake Louise that knows everyone up there. If you don't get a bite let me know, I might be able to help.

Default Advice on cheap float hunts

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Native View Post
    This being my first attempt at a DIY float hunt is proving interesting. After many thoughts/rivers/comments from you folks, it seems I am still in the same predicament. One thought was the Malaren to the Sue, Tyone to Sue Lk & finally Lk Louise. Problem: You cannot float upstream. I want to float hunt unit 16, any suggestions??? Again, being the cheap arse that I am, I cannot afford a fly-in. I need a place with a somewhat accessible put in/take-out. Any suggestions?
    Montana,

If you haven't done so already, you need to pick up a copy of the Alaska Atlas and Gazeteer. Look it over carefully and study the rivers that offer more than one bridge crossing. Those options, as you will see, are very few. Alaska's road system is extremely limited. The few opportunities you find will likely have other hunters. Here are a handful:

1. Maclaren River- Susitna, take out via power boat on the Tyone River.

2. Deshka River- put in at the Petersville Road at either the Moose Creek or Kroto Creek bridges, take out via float plane at Amber Lake or via river boat in the lower Deshka.

3. Swanson Lakes Canoe Trail system, on the Kenai Peninsula. You don't need a raft here (it would be more of a liability than an asset); go with a hard shell canoe. You can rent one from Alaska Canoe Rentals.

4. Little Susitna River. Numerous access points. Lots of brush, some other hunters. Expect to find brown bears in there, and few moose.

5. Chena River near Fairbanks. Lots of traffic, easy highway access.

There are others, but this should get you started. Look at your maps carefully. In your situation, you're going to have to really study the animal you are after, and you will likely have to do things other hunters are either unwilling to do, unable to do, or unaware of. In short, only the best hunters can consistently find game in some of these more pressured areas. You will have to work hard. No easy road here.

This is probably my best advice to you, especially for your first Alaska hunt. Take it slow and learn. Save your money and go on a fly-out trip when your experience will give you your best chances. This is especially important if your budget will limit you to only occasional fly-out hunts.

Good luck.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay