Thread: Another Whittier Question…

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Another Whittier Question…

So I plan to go to Whittier and beach launch my little 15ft Zodiac and putz around there in Passage Canal with the wife and kids provided the weather is good. Thing is that I don’t yet have enough confidence in my gear and skills to head out of Whittier bay at all, and just want to stay in close and within sight of the harbor, play around and try out some of our new gear and just figure stuff out. I wouldn’t even be going past Emerald Island for this first trip.

My question is if there are any bottom fish to be caught that close in? Understand that I am not looking to score a limit of anything, or any big monsters. Just any old stupid fish will be just fine, as its all for the kids anyway and they don’t care what it is…. Also, I don’t have a fish/depth finder so I know that I am at a serious disadvantage there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding possible locations in the bay or on suggested tackle.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Ive caught halibut, Rockfish, Irish lords, and jack kings from the rocks near the restaurants.

Default bay

you and I need to go out together sometime. I can't find any fish at all - but it still is fun.

there are some shrimp to be had at the falls.

Hear tell that there is sometimes halibutts at the fish cleaning outlet....sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    you and I need to go out together sometime. I can't find any fish at all - but it still is fun.

there are some shrimp to be had at the falls.

Hear tell that there is sometimes halibutts at the fish cleaning outlet....sometimes.
    I'm going tonight if you want to join me

You might be able to jig up some small rockfish over by the kittiwake rookery straight across the bay from Whittier. Actually, anywhere along the coast would be worth a shot. Find a place where the slope comes down steeply into the water, move 50-100 yards offshore and drop down some bait or jigs. If you don't get anything after 10 minutes, move a bit and try again. It's something of a treasure hunt out there - not a lot of hot spots, but some interesting catches when you find 'em.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Thanks for the hints guys. Weather permitting we will head out on Sat and tool around for a bit and see what happens!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I'll be taking my 16 foot zodiac out of whittier sometime soon. My buddies might borrow my 14 footer. Anyway, if you want to get out with us, we'll probly be out for a couple of days. I haven't ever fished there, but was thinking about heading out to the gradual point area, and maybe out into blackstone bay. I have a fishfinder/gps, and there seems like there would be greater safety in numbers. It would look funny as heck seeing a mini-fleet of zodiacs cruising the passage. PM me and let me know if you are interested. I have leave from July 5 to the 18th and might make more than one trip out there. I have some okay spots out of Seward too if you want to make it out that way. The easiest way to do it is to camp. That way you are close to your fishing spot, and you can sit and drink coffee by a fire while you wait for the water to calm down.....

sthrcave, thanks for the offer! would be funny to see an inflatable flotilla

I dont have out shedual nailed down yet as the accountant (Wife) is still crunching numbers to determin were we go and for how long but I expect to hit Whittier this Saturday for a day trip at a minimum, and perhaps stay at one of the campgrounds near Portage and go back and fish some more on Sunday... its all weather dependant (and cash) of course.

Dont know about the 4th of July weekend..... Seward is out as it will be pure maddness down there. May try Deep Creek, Whiskey Gulch or Anchor River. Or I might just say phoey on all of it and take the camper and ATV's to Hatcher Pass

I'll PM you when I head out there. I have two boats, and would be willing to let a qualified operator use the other one. I'd love to get an inflatable fishing event going down there, so if you have buddies with zodiacs or whatever let them know. I'll try to post the dates for whittier about a week out. I might actually start another thread dedicated to inflatables. They seem to be the best way to get to the fish for guys like me who don't have a lot of money for toys.

Sthrcave,

Did a Whittier trip on Saturday and had a great time! Got the boys into some Herring (real herring, and not salmon smolt…..) and some Tom-Cod, but didn’t do any real serious fishing. Just motored about passage canal and got used to running the inflatable in the “big” water…

Replied to you new thread and will be happy to hook up with you some day in the future!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default taking tourist to Whittier

I've got family in town and want to take them out to Whittier. Can I get some suggestions on some of the more scenic places to take them? I don't want to go too far out since I'm taking a 60 and 80 year old women out.
    Alangaq, where are the falls in your picture?

Thanks all

Grizzly Man<

Good scenery is easy to find in Whittier, or anywhere up here in SW Alaska I would guess, so I am sure your guests will not be disappointed no matter what, but those falls and the rookery are just about directly across the canal, or bay from the boat harbor and are really close… so close that there were a bunch of sea kayakers over there. Maybe a couple of miles at most. Near one of them there were so many salmon fry jumping around (I think that is what they were) that it looked at first like it was raining. One would think that were there are little feeder fish, there would be bigger fish but I didn’t bring a suitable anchor and my attempts at jigging for bottom fish were stymied by the tidal current.

what kind of anchor are you running? I have a small danforth, maybe 8 pounds or so. I think it should do ok, as long as I drag it and get it to set in well. I haven't tried to anchor in anything but a lake yet, so I don't know how it'll do in the current.

All I have for an anchor is a smallish mushroom. After chatting with quite a few other inflatable owners or boats similar in size to mine, each and every one has suggested a 25lb Navy anchor with 20 foot of chain and enough line for a 3-1 scope. Seems like good advice and time and $ permitting I will eventually get that set-up. My problem is that my Zodiac has the bow dodger (spray shield) on the front which makes accessing the bow ring very difficult, which in turn makes anchoring a huge pain....

Default Whittier fishing

make sure you have a GPS an know how to use it,, lots os bays over there, a hand help radio for ship to shore you can get lost very easy, a cell phone will work in some places but not all {{ ATT is very limited, in town only }}
    an no gas on the water so plan very well

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    All I have for an anchor is a smallish mushroom. After chatting with quite a few other inflatable owners or boats similar in size to mine, each and every one has suggested a 25lb Navy anchor with 20 foot of chain and enough line for a 3-1 scope. Seems like good advice and time and $ permitting I will eventually get that set-up. My problem is that my Zodiac has the bow dodger (spray shield) on the front which makes accessing the bow ring very difficult, which in turn makes anchoring a huge pain....
    Personally, I think a 25-lb navy anchor is overkill. On my old 16-ft inflatable, a Danforth anchor worked just fine. I don't remember the weight, but it wasn't too heavy. Used that same anchor for my 24-ft fiberglass boat after I sold my inflatable. Even worked for that boat, but I ended up getting an oversized anchor for storm and overall use. But a 25-lb navy anchor should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    make sure you have a GPS an know how to use it,, lots os bays over there, a hand help radio for ship to shore you can get lost very easy, a cell phone will work in some places but not all {{ ATT is very limited, in town only }}
    an no gas on the water so plan very well

Yup, yup Sid,

Got the wife, 6, 4 and 2 year old in there with me, so you can be darn sure we are well prepared and extra cautious.

Got the GPS, Handheld VHF, spare prop, plugs, pumps, distress flag, first aid kit, smoke signals, extra fuel, and enough pistol and handheld flares to burn the world down….

The main thing is that we just don’t go very far… Shotgun Cove is about my limit for now. Not going any further out than that until we head to one of the warm lakes and practice retrieving people from the water and ensure that the wife is fully checked out on, and familiar with all aspects of operating the little Zodiac and outboard. Wouldn’t be a good thing to fall overboard and be bobbing in the frigid water watching your wife and kids try to row a stupid Zodiac 200 yards back to you because you didn’t show her how to start and operate the outboard….

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Personally, I think a 25-lb navy anchor is overkill. On my old 16-ft inflatable, a Danforth anchor worked just fine. I don't remember the weight, but it wasn't too heavy. Used that same anchor for my 24-ft fiberglass boat after I sold my inflatable. Even worked for that boat, but I ended up getting an oversized anchor for storm and overall use. But a 25-lb navy anchor should do the trick.
    Skydiver,

I don’t actually have a 25lb Navy Anchor but it seems to be the most recommended style and weight from folks running like sized inflatable’s. I thought about a Danforth anchor, but the pointy ends kind of spook me with a rubber boat.

More than the weight of the anchor or style, I am mostly concerned about hooking it to the bow ring as mentioned earlier, I have very limited access to it.