Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Creek Fishing

Default Jim Creek Fishing

So, I went out there this past Sunday. No one was fishing and no carcasses. When do the fish run up this way? I fished there years ago, but don't remember what time of year it was.

Thanks

Cool

August is good for some Silver action!

usually around the end of july the reds show up, and some silvers mixed in there and it is pretty good threw august.

Default July 1

I have fished it for over 30 years, the earliest i have seen a red there was July 1st. The 7th to the 15th is more of a consistent time frame to see som fish.

Greg

Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies. I'll start hitting it after 4th July weekend. It's better for a quick trip after work since it is closer than the Russian. There's usually less people too, from what I remember.

i put in probly 30 MORNINGS a year down there for silvers, but have never realy found a way to target reds in jim creeks slow moving water.

any sugestions?

Default sometimes...

Sometimes you will find them in a current seam between clear and Knik water a ways up from the lower mouth where most folks fish. When that happens, its easy... flip like on the Russian. I've done well fishing at night when there was about 3 feet of water in the "lagoon" just tightlining. Use enough weight to keep on bottom with a little tension, about 3-4 foot of leader and a coho fly. Wait for a tug, and jerk hard. Most were mouth hooked, some weren't.

if you fish down from the actual mouth of jim creek the channel runs right along the bank there, it's also a good spot. You will see them swiming threw the water and just pick a spot.

It seems there are lots of different ways of catching fish there.

I was fishing there in 2004. I got hung on something on the bottom. When I pulled, it moved a little. Well, I decided to try to reach it. When I grabbed, I pulled out a large piece of carpet! The dang thing looked like a Christmas tree. It was covered with at least 100 lures/hooks on it. I saw everything from snagging hooks, flys, vibrax, pixees, spin n glo, etc on that thing. I salvaged all the good stuff and brought that carpet to the dumpster. I probably had $1000 in fishing stuff. I was set for a while. My friends were excited because they didn't have to buy $6 vibraxes any more. lol

That same summer, some idiot on a snow machine buzzed all the fishermen. That thing was loud!! ........especially on the water. We all wanted him to stall and sink. lol

Default Why?

Why'd you pull my lure collector man? THIEF!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Smile Last year at the creek

How is the water level down there now? Last year at this time you couldn't get down to the creek channel, because the river was flooded up past the woodline and into the roads. Took a while to go down. The fish were finicky last year, too. It took a while to solve the problem, but we had best luck with green and pink yarn flies.

I have attached a photo of my 7 year old. He was catching fish down there one day when noone else was. Caught this one with a small scrap of green yarn that he found on the ground and started flipping. Look at all of the jealous faces in the background. I love days like that when the little guys are having all the fun. They really put on a show. He can't wait to get back into it this year. All he says is " can we go to the Russian?" and "when are we going to Jim Creek?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

took the fam out wheelin last weekend and the water isn't high at all. Last year was high, this year is pretty dry, so far. Even the usual mudholes on the way in don't have any standing water

Default Dragging the bottom

Strange thing I wonder if the catching rates are better when the flies/yarn are on the bottom- like dragging on the bottom.

When I first started fly fishing, I used a sink tip there and caught fish... the tip was dragging on the bottom.

Last year I tried at times using just a weighted fly and tried to get it somewhere in the water column. I just didn't catch many fish considering the number of times I went there. A friend of mine used a chartreuse fly and split shot and dragging the bottom- not yanking his rod up; ala- the snagging technique.

I did use some marabou jigs that had to be on the bottom and hooked a few fish.

All this fishing was done in the clear water around the island when the water was up.

I also fished w/ shrimp or eggs at Eklutna by itself on the bottom w/ no spin-n-glow and that was the trick. They picked it up off the bottom...

Has anyone else been in the same scenario?

I like to floss em in the edge of the silt. Works great if you can get past the annoying super twitch guys foul hooking fish every couple minutes and the 3-4 geniuses who think you have to stand in the hole in order to catch fish. Definitely a better place to go when the entrance trail is soggy and people actually have to walk or at least ATV to the mouth. 2008 people were down their parked on the bank in Honda Civics.

It's dry enough for a Civic now. DOH

The water was way lower than that picture.

I liked the genius in the Civic who thought he could follow the Souped up 4X4 to cross the creek.

being the "sucker" I am I spent the better part of my fishing time one morning pulling his soggy butt out of the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    Strange thing I wonder if the catching rates are better when the flies/yarn are on the bottom- like dragging on the bottom.

When I first started fly fishing, I used a sink tip there and caught fish... the tip was dragging on the bottom.

Last year I tried at times using just a weighted fly and tried to get it somewhere in the water column. I just didn't catch many fish considering the number of times I went there. A friend of mine used a chartreuse fly and split shot and dragging the bottom- not yanking his rod up; ala- the snagging technique.

I did use some marabou jigs that had to be on the bottom and hooked a few fish.

All this fishing was done in the clear water around the island when the water was up.

I also fished w/ shrimp or eggs at Eklutna by itself on the bottom w/ no spin-n-glow and that was the trick. They picked it up off the bottom...

Has anyone else been in the same scenario?

I have used eggs on the bottom w/out spin n glo at the tailrace for silvers and had awesome action compared to my buddies who used spin n glos. At Jims for silvers I have seen people drift eggs with no wieght or bobbers and do pretty good.

I've seen a 30' Class C RV down at the bank once. I don't know if they made it out, or just burned it in place.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Default eggs

eggs looped on an octopus hook with a couple of #2 splitshot sitting right off the edge of the bank has worked pretty well in the past for us on Jim creek.

oh yeah, last year we were catching them no more than 3 feet off of the bank with yarn flies fished on the bottom with a couple of #2 split shot. Didn't even have to get our feet wet. You have to find the right riffle...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast