Thread: Nabesna Road Trails - 2010 Access / Use?

Question Nabesna Road Trails - 2010 Access / Use?

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...n-vehicles.htm

Any been back in there this year? Curious as to what the trail conditions are like. Also would like to see any pictures folks have taken of the area while in there. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...n-vehicles.htm

Any been back in there this year? Curious as to what the trail conditions are like. Also would like to see any pictures folks have taken of the area while in there. Thanks!
    Nobody? Looking to head out there in the middle of July, hoping to get some insight knowledge.. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've been back there once and that was a few years ago. What trail are you planning on riding? Don't forget to get your permit before heading in, we didn't know about it until we were almost to the end of the highway when we happen to read on one of the signs that you need a permit to ride atv's off the highway.

As far as the road itself goes, it can be a bit bumpy so don't drive too fast and bring a good spare tire. My left rear tire took a piece of metal and I had a heck of a time getting it swapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I've been back there once and that was a few years ago. What trail are you planning on riding? Don't forget to get your permit before heading in, we didn't know about it until we were almost to the end of the highway when we happen to read on one of the signs that you need a permit to ride atv's off the highway.

As far as the road itself goes, it can be a bit bumpy so don't drive too fast and bring a good spare tire. My left rear tire took a piece of metal and I had a heck of a time getting it swapped out.
    I was going to spend a few days in there...
    Caribout Creek Trail, Trail Creek, Lost Creek Trail, Big Grayling Lake / Soda Creek Trail; they all seem interesting...

Default stop in and get your permit

and then go have some fun. Beautiful country and most trails are ok. Watch for closures of trails as they sometimes will close them if there is too much rain.

And pay attention to where the trail ends if you don't live down there. We are only allowed to ride so far on them, local residents are free to ride as far as they can. There should be a marker to let you know where the trail ends.

We went out there Memorial Day weekend last year. In summary, the trails are nothing special. They are either:
    - Closed to recreational use (subsistence use only, particularly the ones closer to town)
    - Swampy and virtually impassable (although, give how dry this season is, maybe less so this year), or
    - Follow gravel creek beds, meaning that you have to find your own trail as you go, and that what looks like a trail is often cut with deep channel braids. In other words, in these creek beds, the trail is very easy to lose. Also, the size of the rocks in many of these creek beds are large enough to be uncomfortable to ride on.

The trailheads are poorly marked and sometimes difficult to find, and the trails traveled infrequently enough that they can get overgrown. We did most of our riding on the dirt road.

As a previous poster said, get the ATV permit at the ranger station before you go in.

For better trails and a multi-day riding destination, I would instead suggest either Petersville Road, Eureka, or the middle of the Denali Highway.