Thread: Smoker too hot

Default Smoker too hot

Hello all, I bought an upright stainless steel propane fired smoker from Cabela's; works okay as a grill but the dang thing just gets too hot! Last batch of smoked salmon took only 45 minutes; basically cooked the fish, was pretty good, but looking to slow down the process!
    Any ideas?? I tried closing the vents (manual says don't close them all the way) and turning the temp. control down to the lowest setting, but it still hits 225-250 deg.
    Help!
    Jim

Thumbs up i have the same smoker...

try putting the unit in a colder spot, and open the vents for more cold air.
    also i messed with the propane supply to get the flame as low as possible AFTER the initial heat to get the chips smoking, and i think that having the water bowl in makes the smoker hotter too.
    does an awesome job on ribs, btw.
    good luck.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Make more vents!!

I would try making more vents. Also try to mess with the unit that emits propane. Good luck a good smoker is good to have. You ever tried cold smoking? It is Great.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Hm. you're right, that's about 80-100 degrees too hot. Should be ~140, right? What is temp outside? are you in florida or something?

Well, not Florida, but better---Hawaii. We live on Kauai and have a place in Sterling. The last batch of reds I did it was night; about 65 or so. I thought that opening the vents or more vents would allow the flame to really crank up? Figured closing the vents would choke the flame and tame it down some, guess not. For our next trick, I'll adjust the valve on the propane tank itself and try to bring it all down in temp.
    Thanks for the tips guys!
    BTW, I've had cold smoked salmon; everything else is just a substitute!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Well, not Florida, but better---Hawaii. We live on Kauai and have a place in Sterling. The last batch of reds I did it was night; about 65 or so. I thought that opening the vents or more vents would allow the flame to really crank up? Figured closing the vents would choke the flame and tame it down some, guess not. For our next trick, I'll adjust the valve on the propane tank itself and try to bring it all down in temp.
    Thanks for the tips guys!
    BTW, I've had cold smoked salmon; everything else is just a substitute!
    65 outside should have worked. did it?

Steve, no, the lower outside temps (here about 60-65) did not bring down the smoker temp at its lowest setting. Next time I fire it up, I'll try turning the valve on the propane tank down to where the flame is just barely burning.
    Thanks,
    Jim

If this seems obvious, slap me:

Have you asked cabela's; they have technical representatives for alot of their products - maybe its a defect in the particular one you have.

No way should it be that hot/cook fish.

My big chief has been very consistent; altho this requires electricity and associated precautions (i.e., limited length of any extension cord, heavy duty extension cord, don't get any of the cord or electric parts wet or else, depending on how the wind wafts; you could get a house full of smoke too - or not)