Thread: Okie Drifters

Default Okie Drifters

The plastic, foam, or rubber cork-like things that have an egg-ball shape. At least I think these are called Okie Drifters. Anyway, they used to be fairly popular in the late 70's and early 80's according to a few guys I was talking to. I see them in the stores occasionally, and remember them as a kid, but I never see anyone using them these days. Why did they decline in popularity?

Does anyone remember other lures or flies that used to be popular (and actually caught fish) that aren't used much anymore? The fads of fishing.

well teaspoons...........I used to see them a lot fishing with my dad for kings, he sowre by them, and now I don't see any one using them. As for the okie drifter I still see a few people using them, or find them on snags.

Oh yeah, I remember Tee-Spoons. I have four or five in an old tackle box, but I never use them.

Tee-spoons are deadly on the Deshka.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

funny you say that, that is were my dad used them the most.

Default okies- the story

The story as I know it is that the original manufacture of okies either went out of business or burned. Either way, the original dies and foam process are gone. They have been revived by BS Fish tales, who also makes the original wiggle warts now, and are sold under the trade name "orkie drifter." Instead of being made of foam, they're now hollow plastic. Best way to fish them is tied in between two smaller hooks, like a 2/0, rather than sliding free on the leader.

Default Okie Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    The story as I know it is that the original manufacture of okies either went out of business or burned. Either way, the original dies and foam process are gone. They have been revived by BS Fish tales, who also makes the original wiggle warts now, and are sold under the trade name "orkie drifter." Instead of being made of foam, they're now hollow plastic. Best way to fish them is tied in between two smaller hooks, like a 2/0, rather than sliding free on the leader.
    Orkie Drifters are not the same! I've fished the Kenai River for 42 years and there is nothing like the Okie Drifter. I contacted the factoy when I found out that the Okie Drifter had been discontinued - I was floored! I even offered to purchase a 5000 lot if available - soory they are no longer manufacted and we broke the mold - WHY? If anybody out there has any they like to sell let me know. I'll take them off your hand in a heartbeat, these are the best for trout and dollies.
    You can contect me at :
    alaskaprints@aol.com or thru the mail @
    John C. Reece
    7231 Clairborne Drive
    Anchorage, Alaska 99502
    907-243-7508
    I'll take any size or any amount - thanks