Thread: Berkeley fireline fused

Default Berkeley fireline fused

I am curious about this line. I bought 20lb smoke black yesterday and I'm curious about it's strength. Better than mono better than braid in the midlle what is everyones thoughts.

All of the "super" lines are very stong. Much stronger than their advertised breaking poundage if you ask me. I used 30# power pro and that stuff is like steel.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Awesome the fused just feels weird because it's like braided mono

Fireline is good stuff. I used to use it a lot back home. Make sure you're tying a polymar knot to which ever terminal tackle you are using. All super lines are kinda slippery, especially fireline, and you're normal clinch knot will not sufice.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default twice

non-mono lines are much stronger than their advertised weight. IIRC the IGFA counts it as double. So catching a fish on 10 lb non-mono would qualify under the 20 lb test record book.

Exclamation Fresh 20lb Fireline breaks at 33lbs or so

Each brand of braid has different strengths relative to what's claimed. 20lb Fireline, broken with a spring scale to measure the force, typically splits at 32-34lbs. 14lb Fireline usually breaks at 20lbs. (I test the lines by tying 100% knots -- doubled line uniknots in this case -- to screwdriver on one side and the hook on the scale on the other. I stand on the screwdriver and raise the scale in my hands upwards until something gives. If snugged properly, the doubled line uni's won't break before the line parts in the middle.)

I have only tested TUF line a couple of times and found that the (thinner than equivalent rated test Fireline) broke only about 5-10% stronger than claimed. So please run your own line strength tests on whichever brand(s) you favor.

I have a major peeve with the knots recommended by manufacturers. Something like a Palomar knot in braid might break at 20lbs in "20lb" (sic) Fireline, so someone claims that this is a 100% knot based on claimed and not actual full line strength. If people knew that the real breaking strength was 33lbs, then many would not be happy to lose 13lbs of fish fighting capacity that simply.

There are a host of braid knots that are close to 100% Geoff Wilson's books on knots have excellent suggestions. But if tying braid to a swivel or directly to a hook, double a foot or so of line, tie a 5 wrap uniknot, carefully snug it down, trim and you've got a near-nuf 100'er.