Thread: kwiks

Default kwiks

Since we're talking about problems.

I'm curious how yall are rigging them. Flatline? or behind a jet diver or lead?

I picked up some 15's and a couple 16's to give them a go again...any tips? Colors? (I know if it aint chartuese dont but it right lol).

Dont have a ton of faith in them is all...

I guess I should add...I'll be back bouncing them out of a raft. Works well with jets and spin-n-glo's. Just trying to learn something without having to worry about having bait all the time.

I asked on another one....single vs treble hooks also. If you dont have to swap the trebles do you still? They seem like crappy hooks all together. If so what hooks do you prefer and how are yall rigging them?

I'm not an expert, only go once or twice a year for kings. I've used kwikfish a lot. Normally just flat line, no wieght or divers, planers, etc. I was at Lake Creek this last week end and saw fish caught on kwikfish, spin n glows and even a spinner. Ours were on kwikfish, chartruese in color.

I use them in saltwater rather than rivers, so I'm not sure how well this will apply. I'm guessing it will, but don't have the opportunity to try it.

I switch out the trebles on all mine for 7/0 Siwash hooks. The trebles are wimpy in the first place, but the heavier Siwash improve the action of Kwikfish for trolling at ocean speeds- 2- 2.5 mph. It makes them swing less from side to side, giving them a quicker "wiggle" that doesn't go so far out to the sides. It also keeps them from spinning as speed goes up. The normal action and tendency to spin as speed goes up is about worthless in my experience, but with the big Siwashes onboard, it turns them into one of the best saltwater trolling lures around.

No guarantees, but worth a try in rivers I think.

Default I like...

....to rig them with a single Gama Siwash hook and a swivel. On 16's you can use 5/0-7/0, 15's can be rigged with 4/0-6/0 and so on...

I also like to take the front treble hook and cut off the points at the curve, leaving the shank on the plug as balast. I believe it helps them run a little truer (less tuning req'd). The swivel between the siwash and the split ring really helps drive the hook home on a bite, and also helps during the fight so that the fish can't use the weight of the plug to shake the hook free. We all know how those big kings like to head shake!

Interesting side note..when a king is head shaking down deep and you haven't seen him yet, you can tell how big he is by how much line is moving side to side in the water while he is head shaking! The really big pigs will have your line traveling 2-3 feet each direction as they try and shake that plug out!

-sc

sounds like you have been a guide at some point or have friends that are. What you stated on there is a classic guide set up. But you missed one thing, using a diver, divers keep your kwik fish or what ever plug from working to hard and give it a more natural presentation. I know it might sound funny but it's true.

Default First time on the Kenai

I Was with Jeff King, years ago...and I picked his brain for the entire day about how to rig and run kwiks while backtrolling.

I also use jet divers 80% of the time (anything over 7' deep), but I will run kwiks w/o divers and have had good success running them both ways. I don't like using the jumbo jets with kwiks, I run the 40's with kwiks, and the jumbos with glos/eggs.

So I should be fine flatlining 15's and 16's then ? It's been a few years since I've tried them and honestly I couldnt tell when drifting if they were getting down to the bottom.

Default Is your plug in the ZONE?

The rod tip will tell you everything.

When you freespool the plug to float back behind the boat, it's gonna drift downriver with no tension. As soon as you click over the spool, the line stops, and the plug is going to immediately "bite" into the water and begin a steep aggressive dive. The entire rod will load up from the tension and the tip will be vibrating at a couple hundred Hz. As the plug dives deeper, approaching the softer current adjacent to the bottom, it's gonna slow down and RELAX.... the bend in the rod eases up and the vibration slows WAY down. The best indicator that your Kwik has reached "the zone" is that it slows down to a throb of 4-5 pulses per second. Your rod should be bouncing with a deep rhythmic throb, and it should look something like a dog trying to hump your leg.

You are officially in the zone.

Note the line angle once you are in the zone. The rhythmic throb and the line angle must be maintained for the entire pass.

Rod stops throbbing? Your plug is fouled. Reel it in and check it.

Line angle starts to steepen? You're probably snagged. Get on it fast before you run over it with the boat.

Rod bounces abruptly? Red alert... the rod tip might just bury hard in the next moment. FISH ON!

Here's more variations on getting your goods in the zone.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showpost.php?p=74335&postcount=34

Couple more links for you plug-addcited salmon junkies...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=zone

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=zone
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Doc, LOL. But I think you are dead on.

Don't laugh... I'm dead serious.

I get the heebs the moment I see that rod humpin' the river in perfect rhythm. When the entire rod is throbbing right down to the corks, I instantly know that plug is a perfectly tuned swimmer!

Music to my eyes!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

thanks for the tips! we managed one on a k16...then promptly lost it in the rocks, ugg! oh well, I'll have to buy more, definatly was fun. We did well on the typical jets as usual. Man has the river changed!!!

Thanks again FP! We nabbed a couple on the salcha with them last weekend, ok ok, eod did all the catching LOL!

Lets talk tuning them. I understand turning the eye. I noticed one running great, it's the one EOD caught all the fish on LOL! We did loose a couple others that seemed to run good that hooked fish.

But the last one I ran didnt have that rythmic throb....more erratic. We did check them (eventually) and they seemed to run fine. Any art in tuning tips you could pass on would be great! I'm taking a couple young guys out this weekend...should be a busy fun saturday.

I think you've got the tuning process with the screw-eye down. The only other variable is how meaty and symmmetically you cut and place your bait wraps. Keep 'em centered on the belly screw-eye. Too much meat can overload a plug. Assymetric placement can throw off the balance bad enough to trump screw-eye tuning. After you snag up or fight a fish, remember to re-check the tune job. Do NOT skimp in this area... yes, sweat the small stuff!

Some Kwikies will NEVER give your rod that river humpin' throb, no matter how much you try to tweek them.

Those are the worthless duds that never get bit. Thow them in the river and give someone downriver a thrill with their "lucky" find.
    The KeenEye MD

sounds good...so far I was running them bare nakid. Wasnt sure if what I was seeing was the kwik kicking or just an erratic hump lol. Heck it might have just been the difference in the rods themselves.

Tradbow...you wouldn't let me give you any $ for that kwik that I lost so I went and bought some for this weekend. You are right...that Kenai King rod had a much tighter bounce/wobble than the other rod in a side-by-side comparison. It just seemed to be a lot more consistent and "in control" than the rod with the faster tip. Felt like I was winching them in though with that Kenai King...those Salcha fish are a little smaller than the pigs that rod was designed for I believe, lol...I bet your "noodle" rod is an absolute blast to catch 'em on.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

lol...we'll have to try running it on sat. Definatly had a different bounce for certain. That quick you ran had the hump down nicely...."Claudias" (LOL) rod humped a little funny. Kind of did an aar and got to thinking about things when I reread FP's humping kwik post lol. Never heard of tuning a jet either, makes me wonder as I've had more tangles with jets then we did in 2 trips with the kwiks..hmmm. Whats your plans sat?

Plans for Saturday are to meet up with you, good sir...sent you a PM.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."