Thread: Sibling rivalry issues

Default Sibling rivalry issues

No not with me, with my 2 labs.
    Two brother's from the same litter yellow and black, 4 and a half years old and lately they are giving massive body language with hackles raised, growling real low etc. There have been 3 fights in the past 2 months and I broke one up out of reflex and the last one because it was close to having a vet bill. I have intervened in the past if there was a fight which wasn't very often but some trainers I've spoken with say to let them hash it out so they come to a decision on who is top dog.
    I'm of the thought that there should be me as an Alpha and one of the dogs Alpha over the other one. Am I wrong? I have let the supposed Alpha get fed first and have his pick of bed area, toys etc. he comes in first and goes out first.
    My hunting dog happens to be the submissive one as he is the best as a retriever and a real honor student in the field. When we get back from a hunt or trip or one on one training he acts like a real ass to his brother.

So here are the questions as it's getting worse and our happy little family isn't so happy at that moment.
    Should I have one Alpha dog? Or should we treat them as equals like when they were younger?
    Should I intervene and break up any fights? They know I and my wife are in charge and don't really challenge us btw.
    Any help is much appreciated...

Mountaintrekker

Are these both intact males?

I'm curious to see the input on this issue.

Both neutered...

You say your the alpha but your letting them get away with all the pre fight displays. If your the alph and you don't like the fighting then let them know that that crap will not be tolerated as soon as you see any indication of agression.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Split them up

Most likely they are testing each other. I had this with intact father and son. I actully got some good advice from Leerburg kennels. Get separate runs for each dog. Give them time apart, work them apart.
    "I'm of the thought that there should be me as an Alpha and one of the dogs Alpha over the other one. Am I wrong? I have let the supposed Alpha get fed first and have his pick of bed area, toys etc. he comes in first and goes out first"

I thought that too and when I posted it had a full forum call me everything but a human being. As they corrected me:You are in charge. You're the boss. You take care of the problems, there is no second in command.

As far as food and toys you givith and you takith away. Give them their own beds
    Anticipate the fights. I've had a lot of conflicting advice about letting them duke it out. I've opted to correct rude behavior to avoid vet bills. Letting them take their anger out only sets them up for potential outbursts on other dogs.

Intact may have some impact but I've had both intact 11 year old dad and 1 1/2 year old son go at it over food. And 2 year old spayed at 14wks female Great Dane female who beats up on a spayed 6yr old who is more submissive. Just saw a series of lectures on dog aggression and its many forms. If you go to Facebook and see the Micheal Ellis lectures on aggression some things may start to click. I now monitor play, train to avoid the most reactions and kennel only those who get along together. Here is the link http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...xpipe=1&__a=17