Thread: Work in Alaska

Default Work in Alaska

Well if I pass my weld test next monday I will be flying up there on July 5th to start work. Just wondering if anyone could tell me what its like living in a man camp.

It depends on the facility, some of them are pretty rough, some are pretty good. You'll be working at least 12 hour shifts, and the mancamps are just a place to get some shuteye. Food should be pretty good.

I will be working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 6 weeks and then off for 2 weeks. I understand how some folks feel about outsiders and I am the same way to a point. Hope I dont run into too much animosity up there , submitted my resume just like everyone else and got the call. I would move up there if I could talk the wife into it, too far from family she says! Always dreamed of coming too Alaska ,as long as I can remember, hopefully I will pass my weld test Monday and make the dream come true , even if it is for work instead of recreation.

Who ya workin fer?

A large percentage of the Alaska workforce is from out of state. I haven't seen any animosity towards folks that are out of state in the oil patch. Animosity comes more from folks with bad attitudes than anything else.

If you do take a slope position, don't think you're going to have a chance to see much of the state. You'll be working your but off in AK, but not really getting a chance to see the state. On the other hand, you could have your wife fly up for your 2 week R&R and tour the state during the summer, which wouldn't be a bad thing.