Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place to Ride

Default Place to Ride

Hi

My wife and I are looking for places to ride. I have a 2009 Honda BigRed and she have a 2009 Honda 420 Ranger. We just start riding them this summer and we want to put some miles on them. Any suggesations?

Thank You

Where have you ridden so far?

Here is a list of the usual places most folks go:

Eklutna - Between Anchorage and the Valley. It's an easy run but very scenic. ATV allowed Sunday - Wednesday
    Hatchers Pass (Willow side)
    Petersville
    Eureka
    Kings River (just North of Sutton on the Glenn Hwy)
    Sutton (Eska Falls)
    Jim Creek
    Boulder Creek

You can hook with the Alaska ATV Club folks and they will point you in the right direction. They have a web page with tons of trail information!!!!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Here are some suggestions:

Glenn Highway/Old Glenn Highway:
    -Eklutna (Very easy, 15MPH speed limit, only certain days of week)
    -Jim Creek (Easy to intermediate depending where you go)
    -Buffalo Mine/Jonesville Mine/Eska (Easy to Difficult, depending on trails chosen)
    -Kings River (Intermediate- some off-camber and boulder crawling)
    -Permanente (Intermediate- some off-camber and boulder crawling)
    -Puritan/Boulder Creek (Easy to Intermediate) (Most of the difficult stuff is mud)
    -Pinochle (Usually difficult- for a more skilled rider)
    -Beringer (Easy to Intermediate)
    -Eureka (Easy to Difficult, depending on trail chosen)

Parks Highway:
    -Hatchers Pass (Easy to difficult- lots of trails to choose from)
    -Petersville Road

Most of these trails are routinely discussed in this forum, or you can start a thread asking about current conditions. Lots of us have photos we can show you of various parts of the ride, and can tell you what you might expect.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

How is the Eureka area to ride? Any recommended places to see on the trail in the Eureka area?

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    How is the Eureka area to ride? Any recommended places to see on the trail in the Eureka area?

It is a Highway............you can drive a 18 wheeler back there. They drive huge fire trucks back there.

On a hot day in mid summer. Eureka is tough to beat. Have a map and GPS AND compass. Take plenty of fuel! If you go past the water crossings and it starts raining (when it rains out there it can be as bad as any desert storm) be prepared to spend the night or at least a few hours. The weather can change fast! Fly rods and small skeeter imitations.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by funrider View Post
    Well, one person said it's a highway which isn't accurate. The first part of the trail, back to Monument (if you stay on that trail, which is optional) is very wide. People do drive pickups and jeeps back there. Haven't seen any 18 wheelers tho. The main trail beyond Monument gets narrower and more rutted and you see a lot less "big stuff" back past there although we've run into people in trucks quite a ways back, but it's by no means crowded. The nice part about Eureka is that the parking lot can be PACKED and you can still get off into many areas where you never see a SOUL.

There are MANY trails that branch off of the main trail and many of those are narrow and of differing levels of difficulty. As an example we took one from Four Corners that goes straight to the Eureka Lodge and it was basically a bog. Took us HOURS to navigate it. We've been well back in the Nelchina valley areas and those are not "highway" type trails- just your standard ATV trails. We've been up on top of the mountains back there where we busted our own trail in and then rode the ridgelines and then busted our own trail out- and it was challenging. There are active mines back there and some interesting locals to meet, lots of wildlife, berries, etc. We had a lost Caribou last year walk up to us at Four Corners like he was going to stop and ask if we'd seen his friends.

Eureka has something for everybody, IMO. It's one of my favorite places to ride. The fact that I can have a fantastic Eureka burger and fries at the Lodge after riding is a big plus, also.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is a Highway............you can drive a 18 wheeler back there. They drive huge fire trucks back there.
    I personally suggest the OP try to find places to ride around Hope. I'm sure AGL4now can suggest some good spots.

Joking of course.. Hope doesn't allow recreation.

Thank you all for the informations and my wife and I are think about riding at Jim Creek. How far is it to the glacier and whats the weather like? And can a Honda BigRed make it?

Can't PM you but need to mention I was being a bit sarcastic in my last post.

I highly recommend a ride into Hatcher Pass.

Parks highway to Willow Fishook road. Truck on for several miles (15ish) past the sign that says Travel Not Recommened.

From there park anywhere you can fit the trailer.

Ride the road or take any of the side trails. Best to go now before they open up the pass road.

Pics taken 6/18/2010

ME SORRY. Me had a visual problem. I saw Eklutna and should have seen Eureka, big difference, Me very sorry.

Guys not to hijack the thread but I think this is relevant. I've been to Eureka several times but stayed around the Flat Creek and Cottonwood Creek area. Here's my question; how tough is it to cross the Little Nel from the trail that comes down off of Monument. Or is there a better place to cross the Little Nel river.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Guys not to hijack the thread but I think this is relevant. I've been to Eureka several times but stayed around the Flat Creek and Cottonwood Creek area. Here's my question; how tough is it to cross the Little Nel from the trail that comes down off of Monument. Or is there a better place to cross the Little Nel river.
    Water is maybe 12" to 18" deep with a solid gravel bottom and no big rocks. Easy to cross. The place where the trail crosses it is a great spot for crossing.

its fun to ride to this airplane that crashed on baldi/b29 trail. pretty easy ride too.
    Semper Fi!

Take a ride with the Alaska ATV club. They go someplace different every weekend. Perfect for you and your wife.

http://alaskaatvclub.org/

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    its fun to ride to this airplane that crashed on baldi/b29 trail. pretty easy ride too.
    You're the first person I've ever heard describe B29 as an easy ride. Everyone else has said it's for expert riders only and that it is only ridable in dry conditions. Is there more than one trail?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    You're the first person I've ever heard describe B29 as an easy ride. Everyone else has said it's for expert riders only and that it is only ridable in dry conditions. Is there more than one trail?

i ride it on my 3 wheeler tho
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I've riden it a couple times and by no means is it easy. It is best to ride it in dry conditions. Some of the hills you have to climb are very steep and are very difficult to make if it's wet out. Best time to ride is after a good freeze when the ground is hard as a rock but hasn't snowed yet. I believe there's a couple trails to ride to get to the wreck. After you cross the creek there's a "Y" in the trail. I've heard the trail to the right is much easier to ride but I've only been up the other one. It's a pretty awesome ride when you can get up to the wreck. A lot of the plane is still there. All four engines, the tail section, some wing sections, and scattered wreckage. I'll post some pics up when I get an extra minute.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    Grey has a darker than normal sense of irony. Or just likes to troll.. One or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Crossing the Little Nel at the base of Monument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7p7VwJ7FAw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast