Thread: Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan in late May?

Default Skagway, Juneau, or Ketchikan in late May?

My wife and I will be in those ports last week of May/first week of June. Any recommendations for taking a fly rod on a hike from one of these ports and wetting a line in a stream or lake?

well I'm from juneau the first thing you should do is talk to brad a juneau flyfishing goods (south franklin street) he will give you the most up to date info for the juneau area. but mostly you will be able to fish for dolly varden and cutthroat trout. try salmon creek wear it drains out in the ocean(off of egan) also under the bridge works well (the large one you see right next to fish and game headquarters) thats the only two spots I can think of right now

For ketchican I know theres a hatchery steelhead run there it might be worth checking out.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default call me...

i can show you how to do do juneau in a fun and productive way from a cruise stopover

been there/done that

www.alaskanuthor.com
    (941)0918-8401

Default Skagway vs Ketchikan charter

Turns out Juneau is now out since we will be doing a whale watching trip there.

Any opinions on a half-day salmon charter in Skagway (31 May) vs Ketchikan (2 Jun)?

ketchikan would most likely be better, skagway is up in a big inlet. and less fish.

Ketchikan Hands Down.

I love how when they're like juneau is out the juneau guys are like ketchikan hands down like juneau might be able to compare

yup Juneau fishing is pretty bad, I only imagine haines is worse.

thers two places right in ketchikan other wise you need a boat or charter a plane. ketchikan creek behined the library or go up too haris street bridge on park avenue. there bothe right in town and easy to fish. or you can go to word lake (5 miles north of town ) and fish the river where it enters the lake or go up river from there. not many places below the lake that are easy too get to. or you can catch a ferry to prince of whales is land and you will be in fly fishing paradice many rivers and lakes.

Juneau fishing aint bad, just gotta know where to go and how to fish it - I've got Steelehead in creeks that people swear they arnt in - but yet I've been able to pull em out :P

I caught a steelhead in auke lake in 2005! Juneau fishing is still pretty bad, no resident rainbows, very few silvers, I'm so spoiled by the susitna drainage.

If you dont do good in Juneau - Just simply do not know how to fish it - I grew up here - If I want to go out and catch a fish, I can catch fish - I know all the secret little places to go and how to fish it - Thats all that it comes down to. There are rainbows in the Juneau area - Theres not a lot, but I've caught a few in the creeks before.... theres brook trout here - though they were planted. Theres at least 2 places I know of where they are.

- BTW, Steelehead are rainbows are they not? Last I checked they were just the searun variety - Kinda like most of our Cutthroat trout in the streams!
    Last edited by Linda Johnson; 03-21-2007 at 22:44. Reason: profanity

juneau does have good fishing if you know what your doing but ketchican is probally better (more fish and of course better saltwater fishing) to somebody 's first time to the area.

Steelhead are not resident rainbows, they are very different than sea run rainbows or cutts which migrate for a few months at a time whereas steelhead spend up to 4 years in the ocean before spawning. I just like cautching 20+ inch trout in streams and actually catching silvers. that being said I can't wait till break up dollies and cutts here I come!

Default Skagway for Grayling

I've fished quite a bit in SE but not in Juneau, and the closest I've really fished to Ketchikan was Prince of Wales Island. However, I spoke with a nice young lady a few days ago about superb Grayling fishing up the road from Skagway. I'm not sure how far up the road, but you're into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by hostetter33 View Post
    I've fished quite a bit in SE but not in Juneau, and the closest I've really fished to Ketchikan was Prince of Wales Island. However, I spoke with a nice young lady a few days ago about superb Grayling fishing up the road from Skagway. I'm not sure how far up the road, but you're into Canada.
    Jesus said, "Come follow me and I'll make you fishers of men."

Lightbulb Fly In Hike

Been thinking about this for awhile before I answered; besides having someone drive you out to a nearby lake or stream and fishing for awhile amongst other people you could fly to a local mountain lake, e.g. Heckman Lake and walk down on a Forest Service trail to Jordon Lake (roughly 2 miles) and be picked up again by the airservice who flew you in.

Could be a little spendy, but could find late runs of steelhead. Rainbows, cutts will be active, and possibly dollies about then through the 2 miles of river fishing.

A minimum of 6w might needed because of the steelies.

Good luck.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by hostetter33 View Post
    Pretty much any clearwater in the yukon has good grayling fishing, heck when I was in whitehorse there were a ton rising in the yukon river