Thread: Anchor River Boat Launching?

Default Anchor River Boat Launching?

Well I am a cheap *****!
    I want to go try and snatch up a few but's this comming weekend pending weather. Now I know the fine gentlemen operating the tractor down there do a great job of getting your boat in the water.
    It has been brought to my attention that you can appearantly launch your boat in anchor river at high tide and skip the $$ fee for using the tractor?
    Well I have a 22' Aluminum Jet boat and I am hearing that others with simular set ups can launch there? Is this true? Any help would be appreciated!

Default You can

Put in the river at high tide only and run out you got one maybe two hours to get back up or wait till next high tide. There's a reason there's a tractor launch there. Think about it. I would fish 12 hours.
    P.S. go to homer 15 mile run do west all the butts you want and you can come and go as you want ?? or use the tractor 10,000 people a year use it for a reason ????

Default You can do it

The trick is to wait for a good high tide. I think a plus 5 should do it. Go down to the tractor launch and get on the beach and drive along the beach and take the first right (about 2 hours before high tide). You will see the tracks. I've gone out and fished about 3 hours and came in with some fish. We even did it with a prop. So you should be fine with a jet. However, we are using bigger boats these days and have gone to the tractor because they can launch and delaunch at anytime. It really does suck when you miss the timing and wonder if the wind is gonna pick up and ruin your day. The weather can change pretty quick out there. You can also do this at the Ninilchik River. I have not seen if they repaired the launch at Deep Creek.

Default I'm a cheap ***** too!

If I had a big boat, the tractor would make sense, but I just can't seem to fork over $60 to put my little 20 footer in the drink.

I've been launching in the Anchor River for the past three years with a 20 foot inboard jet. We can usually get about 3 to 3.5 hours of fishing if we time it just right. Prop boats don't stay out as long if they want to get in and out on one tide - unless you follow qkayak's advice and wait for a really high tide. I only go out about 4 miles. I know its time to head back when the tide starts heading out and my boat turns a 180 on the anchor. We did it again this past weekend, but I waited just a little too long to pull the anchor and we rubbed a couple of rocks on the way up the river mouth. There is a litteral mine field of boulders in the river channel down by the mouth. If you've never been there before, my suggestion is to drive down to the end of the beach at low tide and see what you are up against if you are late coming in. Trust me, when you see those rocks, you will not want to be late coming in. Before you drive down to the end of the beach, unhook your boat and leave it at the launch area or you risk getting stuck in the soft sand. Also, do not attemp driving down the beach past the launch area without 4 wheel drive. I can get to the boat lauch area and launch the boat just fine with the truck in 2 wheel drive, but 4X4 is recommended. The launch area drops off pretty gradually, so when the tide is just starting to come in, it can be tough to find deep enough water to float your boat off the trailer unless you back your truck out pretty far. I don't like to get water over the wheel seals on the truck, so I just untie the boat; get the trailer lined up; hand the bow line to my son; back quickly into the river and hit the brakes. After a couple of tries, the boat is in the water. I've seen guys tow their skiffs down to the very end of the beach and launch right into the surf, but they've always got a backup vehicle to assit the tow vehicle in case it gets stuck.

If getting in and out on the same tide isn't a priority, you can stay out and fish (weather permitting), or come in and beach your boat while you wait for the next high tide. However, if the weather picks up and there are breakers pounding the beach, I would not adivse trying to beach your boat unless its an emergency. Whenever I beach my boat on an outgoing tide, I turn the boat so that the bow is pointing away from the beach. That way, if the weather picks up and the wave action gets nasty, the waves won't be crashing over the transom while I wait for the tide to come in.

Disclaimer: I've only been doing this for the past 3 years, so I'm definately a newby. My advise is based on my personal observations (of other boaters) and my own experiences. I know there are pros out there that can give you additional and/or better advise.

The bite was slower than usual this past weekend - at least for us. We ended up keeping four in the 15 to 25 pound range.

If you go, good luck and have fun!

You can launch in the river but your time fishing is definitely limited. I have done that plenty of times and you just go slow up the river or get it in and wait for the next tide. One thing about going in the river you really need to think about is if the wind comes up. A wind from the southwest can put huge breakers in the mouth which will hit your boat from the side as you enter. if they are big enough you can touch bottom and then the next wave might swamp you. It is scarry as hell coming in with those conditions. If you do go in and out of the river, the bigger/lower tides offer more time. On the small tides (say 15 feet) you don't have as much time. If you miss when there is no surf you can just wait it out by beching the boat in the sand (watch the rocks). If you miss when there is a big surf you are screwed.

I have also seen 3 boats lost while coming in on big swells when they got sideways to the surf. One was a whaler with a large engine. The boat swamped and then was rolled over and over in the surf. They lost the engine and everything in the boat.

I used to just launch and recover my old boat on the beach since I could pull it up on the sand and winch it up on the trailer while backing the truck up. I don't do it anymore with my new, heavier, bigger boat. I never got my truck tires anywhere near the water or the soft sand. If you do play the odds you are asking for trouble. I have seen about 12 trucks (including a brand new one that was trying to pull someone else out) go under the water in the last 34 years. I have not seen it since the tractors are there now but if you get stuck, don't screw around trying to get out. Run for the tractor.

To me the piece of mind knowing I can come and go when I want is worth $58. Lose a truck or get your boat swamped and you will wish you had.

Eagle River, Alaska,

Default Deep Creek

Does anyone know what kind of shape the boat ramp is in Deep Creek? I used it last year with my zodiac, but haven't been down there this year yet. The mouth of Deep Creek isn't near as bad as the Anchor.

Anchorage Alaska

Default deep

I put in 2 times this year at deep with my zodiac - no problems. Ramp is in good shape. I run a prop on 40horse.