Thread: Kings on the fly?

Default Kings on the fly?

I am curious if anyone could shoot me a couple ideas of some good places to try and catch a king on a fly-rod. My wife bought me a 10 wt for my birthday a couple months ago, I've just received an assortment of flies from the flyfishinggoods website and I've got the itch. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Dead drift bright colors. Hooked one at willow. Give it a shot. Either that or Montana creek. Sheep and the others are a little hard tonxast far enough. Good luck.

thank you sir, I do appreciate it

Go to the mouth of Sheep. Hooked a couple of kings there last weekend. I was actually thinking of trying that with my 10 wt this weekend possibly.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

The OP only post once per year!!

I sure hope some of you guys help him out on this thread

Ha ha...

I can't offer any info on local streams for kings. But I can suggest two great books that will be of use to you.

"Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska...." by Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver. Awesome book and each chapter is about a fish, kings of course have their own chapter. Lots of info, life cycle, tactics/flies, locations, etc.. and all the info is about flyfishing. One of my favorite books on flyfishing Alaska.

The other, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen, is the where to go book full of maps and directions. These two books would benefit anyone flyfishing in Alaska. Both can be bought on the forum store from what I recall. If not, Amazon for sure.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.