Thread: Best Interior Alaska day/overnight floats

Default Best Interior Alaska day/overnight floats

I just picked up a Denali Llama packraft, and need to break it in.

I live in Fairbanks, have rafted before, but not in my packraft, so I'm looking for suggestions on some cool day or overnight trips that are road accessible at both points or some interesting hike in/over float out trips that folks here have done?

I'm looking for accessibility, nice scenery, maybe some grayling fishing...you know, all the reasons someone would own an Alpacka

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
    -bobble

Default Rivers

I would say the Chena and Chatanika are your best bets for road access and fishing. Also the Delta clearwater, but you have 17 miles on the Tanana after 8 on the DC. Big grayling in there. All are easy floats.

The chena is really nice tough with a packraft you could go way the hell up the upper chena float for days and fish.

Hope that helps.

Default Brushkana Creek

Mostly class II at normal to lower levels, when it's higher and few rocks are exposed, it approaches class III- in a section one mile below the road. This section lasts for about a half mile, then tapers off eventually turning into a swiftwater stream.
    The greyling fishing below the whitewater is super fantastic. The fishing down there is good because many fisherman are afraid of the whitewater, which guards the many fishing holes. Another reason is guys like me catch and release in the good spots, so they stay the good spots.
    I have done this stream at low and high water, so there's the beta.
    Have fun,
    MO

Quote Originally Posted by markoathout View Post
    Mostly class II at normal to lower levels, when it's higher and few rocks are exposed, it approaches class III- in a section one mile below the road. This section lasts for about a half mile, then tapers off eventually turning into a swiftwater stream.
    The greyling fishing below the whitewater is super fantastic. The fishing down there is good because many fisherman are afraid of the whitewater, which guards the many fishing holes. Another reason is guys like me catch and release in the good spots, so they stay the good spots.
    I have done this stream at low and high water, so there's the beta.
    Have fun,
    MO
    Yep Brushkana is a fun little float for sure. Put in at the Denali Hwy Bridge and take out at the mouth of Seattle Creek (need a GPS to find the mouth of Seattle Creek while floating on the Nenana as it is easy to miss.) In fact plan to float from 15 miles upstream of the bridge to the mouth of Brushkana here in about a week.

Another would be from Middle Fork Chulitna Bridge (Mile 194 Park Highway) to the Confluence of Honolulu Creek. The Kings will be running from early July to mid July and make for some great rainbow fishing. Park a vehicle at the pullout about 3/4 mile south of the Honolulu Bridge as your take out vehicle. Its about 25-30 river miles of floating with some decent fishing and a little splashy stuff on once you hit the east fork to make it a little more fun. Once you hit the confluence of the Honolulu pull out on the gravel bar directly after Honolulu Creek's mouth and pack up and hike the 1 mile on the easy trail back to your take out vehicle.

thanks folks

How long is it from the Denali Hwy Bridge at the Brushkana to the mouth of Seattle Creek?

What's it like floating all the way to the Parks Hwy on the Nenana from the Brushkana/Denali Hwy Bridge? Ever done that? The Nenana turns northwest away from the Denali Hwy so that might be kind of cool to explore?

Thanks again...can't wait to get out there, probably going next week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I just picked up a Denali Llama packraft, and need to break it in.

I live in Fairbanks, have rafted before, but not in my packraft, so I'm looking for suggestions on some cool day or overnight trips that are road accessible at both points or some interesting hike in/over float out trips that folks here have done?

I'm looking for accessibility, nice scenery, maybe some grayling fishing...you know, all the reasons someone would own an Alpacka

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
    -bobble
    Bobble,

I too have a new packraft, I have floated the upper Chena. I would also like to float the Delta Clearwater. Drop me a PM if you would like to team up.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    thanks folks

How long is it from the Denali Hwy Bridge at the Brushkana to the mouth of Seattle Creek?

What's it like floating all the way to the Parks Hwy on the Nenana from the Brushkana/Denali Hwy Bridge? Ever done that? The Nenana turns northwest away from the Denali Hwy so that might be kind of cool to explore?

Thanks again...can't wait to get out there, probably going next week sometime.
    The Nenana is VERY tame from the Brushkana to the Parks Highway bridge 5 miles north of Cantwell. Tame to the point of boring, but fun if its the first time going through the area. The area north of the Reindeer Hills is kind of cool, but its steep banks, alder choked banks getting up off of the river.

From the Brushkana Bridge to the mouth of Seattle Creek will take ya about 4 hours or so of solid floating. To go all the way to the Parks bridge I would allow for likely 8 hours of floating beyond that at a minimum. Of course you'll want to stop and fish every freshwater stream so that adds time too. After I get to the mouth of the Brushkana on my trip I will be hiking to Nenana Glacier to check that out and then floating all the way back to the Parks Highway bridge so you might see me out that way.

Default Boring!!

Brushakana to the Parks is very boring. I'd make sure to pick a sunny day so the float is at least pleasurable. You will not be gaining much experience on the float as it is fairly slow. We did it on a rainy day and it was not much fun. Nice country and good chance for wildlife but a bit too long without much challenge for my taste. A short float that is slightly more technical would be to hike up Riley Creek in Denali National Park. This creek is much tighter with boulder gardens.
    Last edited by Armo_Ak; 06-22-2010 at 21:33. Reason: spelling

Thanks for the info, since this is the first time in the packraft...ever, I'm not so concerned with boring, easy water. If there are grayling at the mouths of clearwater streams entering the Nenana or in the Brushkana and the scenery is nice with maybe a good campsite location along the way, it works for me as a maiden voyage for the Alpacka.

Thanks again, if you have more suggestions send them my way, I have a lot of summer left...

Default Denali highway

Take out where the Nenana comes to the Denali, do not float all the way to the parks. This take out will leave you with a 5-6 hour trip,(17 miles) on the water, and you can fish the mouth of Seattle and Wells creek on the way down.