Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taku River Stone Sheep?

Default Taku River Stone Sheep?

From what I heard theres supposivley Stone Sheep up Taku River on the US side of the border - Anyone know anything about this? And whether its legal hunting or not? Cant find anything about it in the regs?

Default Don't think so..

There's a statement in the regs along the lines of "if a season and bag limit is not listed, then it is illegal to harvest that animal in that unit".

Legend has it a guy shot a mt. lion in SE a few years back got fined and that another guy shot a blacktail south of Chitna along the Copper River, bragged about and got a ticket because there isn't a season for deer in Unit 13.

Check the regs, I think you'll find the answer up in the front of the regs.

Default But

If the animals are not from the region there is no limit. Last time i checked there is no mention of stone sheep in the regs.. So they are not native animals so they should not have a limit.

Terry

how are stone sheep not native? we didn't put them there did we?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If a big game animal is not listed in the regs you may not hunt it.

The guy shooting the cougar was back in the 90's, I remember it making the paper and yes he did get cited. Since then the regs have been changed and now say you can shoot any non-native species, there being no bag limit or season. Since Stone Sheep are not native to Alaska one would assume they can be shot. If they do exist in huntable numbers I am sure they are a well kept secret.

Talking Deleterious vs. Wild

Unless it is a farmed big game animal... Ran into this situation 15 years ago in the Talkeetna area while moose hunting. We were down deep in the pucker brush in an area of mixed hardwoods and spruce when a bull and cow bison walked by. The cow had a collar and we only assumed that it was from a farm that was on the other side of the Parks by the Big Su bridge. Needless to say we didn't shoot but were scolded by just about everyone that we told the story to and given the reminder that those animals were considered deleterious exotics... Stone sheep on the other hand are wild in the US or CAN. I think that it is along the lines of some of the mule and whitetail reports coming from the Eastern portions of the Tanana valley and Delta. If you shoot one, I am sure that just like the mt. lion, you would be given a hefty fine I wonder what they would do if someone shot a big hairy homonid up hear? Their not even known to exist!... On the other hand though, there are folks getting incidental catches of fisher down in South East in their marten traps but I guess that it is ok to keep them even though they are new to an area. I just can't wait to start hunting deer in the Mat Su, I am sure one day they will be like rats!

Default stone sheep

stones & dalls are from the same sheep family (I think) - "thin" horns vs "big" horns. I believe they can probably cross-breed and if so, would probably be under the same regs as dalls.
    I sure wouldn't chance shooting one until I had something in writting from someone in enforcement.
    at one time, Charles Sheldon had id'd over 20 dall subspecies, based on hair color. just think what F&G could do with that kind of info. and you thought determining full curl was tough.
    Gary

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post

The guy shooting the cougar was back in the 90's, I remember it making the paper and yes he did get cited.

I believe those charges were eventually dropped. Something to do with it being dark. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nain View Post
    Ran into this situation 15 years ago in the Talkeetna area while moose hunting. We were down deep in the pucker brush in an area of mixed hardwoods and spruce when a bull and cow bison walked by.

Those were my neighbors bison. She also had alot of hogs that got out all the time but like all things they DIE ! Buffalo were poisoned , And the bears and wolfs got the hogs along with a few Truckers.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Why is it that you can hunt turkeys and other fowl that are non native to Alaska but you can not hunt animals with four legs besides racoons and farm raised bison, pigs, etc?

anyone have the definition of native? if a sheep walks over the border its non native? how does that work?
    Master guide 212

Default Deer

Are the black tail deer that occasionally are seen photographed in anchorage native. Dont think anyone brought them to town.

Can't shoot those deer either. I keep looking for it but havent found it yet. In one of the last couple of years hunting regs it specified that "if there is not a season and bag limit for a big game species in the unit you are hunting, you may not hunt it".

I was not making it up.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer67 View Post
    Are the black tail deer that occasionally are seen photographed in anchorage native.
    I'm not sure how you would classify these stone sheep (if they in fact exist), but the deer in Anchorage would certainly not be native. I say this because the deer in Prince William Sound (where the Anch deer are coming from) aren't native either - they were planted there decades ago.

-Brian

rmiller i know where you saw that, i remember it as well, but can't find it in the current regs either.
    I would say the deer are non-native since they were transplated to begin with..i would say the sheep are native.
    Master guide 212

It wouldn't matter if it was native or not. If id doesn't have an open season it cannot be hunted.

Yes the regs used to be very specific about not being able to hunt animals not listed in the regs, but the current regs do not say this. There is nothing in the regs about hunting turkeys but plenty of people have commented on here that it is ok to do that.

Maybe the deer, elk, and bison are considered native because fish and game transplanted them?

Feral non native game birds. The regs comment that there is a handout available at the Anchorage fish and game office. I bet turkeys are listed in the handout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast