Thread: Recommendations for welded aluminum boats in Alaska

Default Recommendations for welded aluminum boats in Alaska

Can anyone shed some advice on what to look for in a welded aluminum boat? What should a novice look for when purchasing this type of boat?

Dealer support after the sale IF you decide to buy new.

Mike

What do you want to do with it?
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

We would like a boat to take the family out fishing (Seward, Homer, Nini, etc) or hunting in the sound. We would likely get more use in the salt than rivers so a deep vee is likely the way we will go. We want something durable and reliable but are not sure what to look for.

Basically, we are looking for something economy without sacrificing performance / durability....any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

post a pic on here and in a day you'll know everything you want to know about any boat in alaska....

Default Go to the pro's

Check out the dealers and get their advice on the boats they have. Look at the brochures and make a decision based on what will fit your needs. If you want used then still visit the shops to do your research and then persue the boat you want.

Are you looking for new or used? What size boat? Inboard, outboard, single or twins, gas or diesel? What's your budget? How patient are you?

I don't think you're going to find that much difference between the various builders, and you need to nail down those questions before you can start compairing various boats. It comes down to personal preference.

Sometimes you'll see what appears to be a great deal on a boat but it's a model that is underpowered.

I'd say it's well worth the $ renting a few of the different sized boats that Whittier Boat Rentals has to get a feel for some different models. It's one thing to think a 24' boat will fill your needs, it's another thing to get it out on the water with the family for a few days and find out you really need a 28' boat.

Then make a list of criteria, must have, like to have and nice to have. Compare that list to what you find and rank them.

I'm thinking about a harbercraft with outboard motor. Possibly 16 to 20' long. Not sure on horse power. Basically something that is as versatile as possible.

Anyone have any thoughts on harbercraft boats?

When shopping for boats, I just look at the side and if it says Wooldridge then I can be confident that it is well built so all I have to do is see if it has been properly cared for as well.

+1 to what Paul H said, Also how big is this family? I would say the water you plan to run, 16-20 would be on the small side. Maybe 20 and up. Try taking some charter,s out. pick there brain, about what they own and why. They spend more time out on the water than any of us.

Just using this as an example I dont know anything about the person or the boat http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1817870149.html

Something like this is a high end starter boat, (other than the jet since you want to do salt, and it'd work for that too).

That design is a decent all-around boat, its got a V and seats for 4, you can also use it on a lot of the rivers.

The walk through windshield is very useful, and it doesnt have a lot of other interior structure that uses up room.

Its best to get a generic starter boat, use it for a season or 3, then you know exactly what you want in a boat and usually go buy a different one (usually 2 feet longer )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

I found a boat that appears to be just what I'm looking for. The boat is a Harbercraft 175 Nahanni with 50HP Honda Four Stroke outboard prop. Approximately 500 hours of use on the engine.

There are a few minor dents in the hull and the paint is in rough shape. I also found several areas that show signs of corrosion under the paint, mostly at locations where attachments are bolted to the boat...electrolysis possibly? I also noticed what appears to be a small crack in the transom. It's difficult to tell if the crack is in the aluminum or just the paint. However the location of the crack would indicate flex from the outboard...maybe from driving down a bumpy road?

I've attached a few pictures and would appreciate any advise. Another question is price. Does anybody have a good source for blue book value for Alaska?

In general boats tend to run high blue book in AK.

Not to dampen your spirits, but the weather and distances run for hunting in the sound make a boat under 24' a very iffy proposition, even fishing I'd say 20' is a prudent minimum for a skiff. As I've said many times, the smaller boats are fully suitable in perfect conditions, but our boating season is short and perfect conditions don't always align with the days you're able to take a boat out. Be fully aware with a smaller boat they'll be times you'll head down to go out fishing ,the weather will be iffy, and the prudent course is not to launch the boat.

If you live in a port town and can pick your fishing days all summer long, the smaller craft are great. But for the fisherman that is driving several hours just to get to the launch, the smaller boats can have very limited use.

most times if the outboard motor isnt the maximum rated for the boat or at least close to it you wont be happy unless you like to putt around on calm lakes.

From what I know about Electrolysis on boats and what it can do to the inside of an engine.

Before I would buy that boat I would pay to have someone to inspect it that knows what he is doing. Can you put a knife blade in that crack, and see how deep it is? Does the boat have any zinc, if so what do they look like? What are you not seeing? Have you looked under the floor boards? What does the wiring look like?
    Have you check the bearings in the trailer? Is there crack on the trailer? Does the boat looked like it was taken care of or run like a rental?

Default Possible result of heating

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldriven24 View Post
    I found a boat that appears to be just what I'm looking for. The boat is a Harbercraft 175 Nahanni with 50HP Honda Four Stroke outboard prop. Approximately 500 hours of use on the engine.

There are a few minor dents in the hull and the paint is in rough shape. I also found several areas that show signs of corrosion under the paint, mostly at locations where attachments are bolted to the boat...electrolysis possibly?

I've attached a few pictures and would appreciate any advise. Another question is price. Does anybody have a good source for blue book value for Alaska?
    I went and looked at this boat. It is in rough shape. It looks like they may have welded or drilled the areas in question. It was kind of unusual, that is the fuel nipple is for the kicker that is not mounted there I think they drilled the fuel tank to put it in. I also am a little suspect of the ID plate inside as it looks like they used a label maker to put the information on it. On the boat side it says it is a 190 Nahanni but the plate says it is a 175, not sure if the honda engine is a 50 hp or the detuned 35. Based on what I have seen it is an $8K boat & that may be pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deputy View Post
    I went and looked at this boat. It is in rough shape. It looks like they may have welded or drilled the areas in question. It was kind of unusual, that is the fuel nipple is for the kicker that is not mounted there I think they drilled the fuel tank to put it in. I also am a little suspect of the ID plate inside as it looks like they used a label maker to put the information on it. On the boat side it says it is a 190 Nahanni but the plate says it is a 175, not sure if the honda engine is a 50 hp or the detuned 35. Based on what I have seen it is an $8K boat & that may be pushing it.
    That's funny. I offered $8,000 for the boat just yesterday...the owner was not interested in the offer. I thought it was a great offer considering blue book came in around $5500!

I noticed the difference with the model on the boat side and the inside tag. I'm not too familiar with these labels but I thought it looked suspicious as well.

The search continues.

Cheers,

Nick