Thread: New to the forum...question???

Question New to the forum...question???

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, but excited to be a part of it! I have some family coming up to visit from Arizona mid-July, and was wondering if anyone knows of any good berry picking spots around the Fairbanks area where berries might be ripe that time of year? I know it's a bit early, but if you have any tips, I would be really appreciative!

Any sunny slough areas with a good silt/sand soil along the Tanana River will/might be decent for raspberries by then. Cleary Summit would be okay for blueberries, but it'll be too early in mid-July.

If you were to take a trip to the coast, you might find thimble berries, salmon berries, and more in plentiful supply, but again, the 'mid-July' part might not permit for all the success you're looking for..

There's always fishing??

You may try up chena hotsprings road. I can't remember when we picked blueberries a couple of years ago up by angel rock, but some of the berries were decent size and it was a nice nature walk.

There is an area over off of Steese Hwy on the right side as you are heading towards Fox. It's before Hilltop, but after the pipeline where all the tourists are. I am pretty sure it's after Goldstream Rd.
    I went to pick up CristanCanoe and her husband from a canoe race last year in July and we had a chance to see some people out in that area berry picking. It's a good area because when I left to pick them up at the Yukon River, there were people there. When we returned, there were people there still picking.
    Hope that helps.
    Lurker.

I was informed several days ago that there are ripe blueberries at about the 1500 ft. level in the North Foothills of the Alaska Range. Not that I'm necessarily advising you to go there seeking them, but rather that this is a fairly early ripening for that location, which leads me to assume that they -may- be ripening early in other higher elevations as well this year, especially in the general region surrounding the Tanana River Valley and this portion of the Interior.

Likewise, I noted that our raspberries (both wild and domestic) in our yard were about a week later than usual this summer, and the fireweed blossoms seem to have been delayed by about the same amount of time.

Go figger'....

Also, along the pipeline right-of-way there are strawberries in many of the sandy-soil locations. That may be what the other poster was referring to in the earlier post.

I live on Farmer's Loop and have ripe blueberries.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Wild or domestic?