I came up from the Russian to Pink Salmon Parking and overheard a radio conversation between parks personnel.
Long Story Short ---> Beautifal Chocolate lab was locked in the car Sunday afternoon in full sunlight with no cracked windows. Dog was panting beyond belief, foaming at the mouth, and yipping (did not sound like Labrador bark...more like a Chihuahua). Anyways we (wife, I and others) decided to wait for the tow truck to unlock the car. Shortly thereafter the dog stopped barking and layed down on the floor and the car went silent, a wonderful gentleman broke the back window. Air came out of the window at 120 deg plus and the dog couldn't even get up...he was dying. After getting the unresponsive dog to the shade and pouring much water and ice and cooling him off he was taken to Kenai Animal Shelter where I heard he made a full recovery.
My wife talked to the owner of the dog this morning (# on tag) and he said he was fishing and didn't think about how hot it could have been getting in his car. He said he had the dog back in his possession and he was doing great.
So - two things.
One. Please be mindful of how hot a car can get, even though the air temprature is at 65 and your standing in a cold river....YOUR DOG IS DYING!!!
Two. Kudos to the guy who broke the window. I was close and decided to wait for the tow truck to come unlock the car. You saved that dogs life and I for one can thank you for that.