Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate Lab BAKING in a car at Russian...& KUDOS to the guy who broke the window

Default Chocolate Lab BAKING in a car at Russian...& KUDOS to the guy who broke the window

I came up from the Russian to Pink Salmon Parking and overheard a radio conversation between parks personnel.

Long Story Short ---> Beautifal Chocolate lab was locked in the car Sunday afternoon in full sunlight with no cracked windows. Dog was panting beyond belief, foaming at the mouth, and yipping (did not sound like Labrador bark...more like a Chihuahua). Anyways we (wife, I and others) decided to wait for the tow truck to unlock the car. Shortly thereafter the dog stopped barking and layed down on the floor and the car went silent, a wonderful gentleman broke the back window. Air came out of the window at 120 deg plus and the dog couldn't even get up...he was dying. After getting the unresponsive dog to the shade and pouring much water and ice and cooling him off he was taken to Kenai Animal Shelter where I heard he made a full recovery.

My wife talked to the owner of the dog this morning (# on tag) and he said he was fishing and didn't think about how hot it could have been getting in his car. He said he had the dog back in his possession and he was doing great.

So - two things.

One. Please be mindful of how hot a car can get, even though the air temprature is at 65 and your standing in a cold river....YOUR DOG IS DYING!!!

Two. Kudos to the guy who broke the window. I was close and decided to wait for the tow truck to come unlock the car. You saved that dogs life and I for one can thank you for that.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

they shouldn't have given him his dog back. I don't understand why he didn't take it with him???? I mean he brought the dog there why not take him fishing too? My dog loves to go with me when I fish.

But besides the point that is just wrong what he did to his dog. I give the guy kudos as well!

Makes you wish he would have been charged with cruelty towards animals
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I hope it was privacy glass and on a newer vehicle so that it hurts the pocket as much as possible. People like that need not own animals. Never once has it occured to me to leave my dog in a vehicle.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Thank god that poor lab survived and it's owner needs a good smack in the ear!!!! My pup comes with me and when I have to leave him in the car while doing the shopping or when I go in a restaurant all the windows are cracked.
    Bring him fishing with you and bring a long leash to tie him up river side. Mine rides on my one man cat and is tied off with a 20' leash when I'm on the main land. When on an island he roams free unless there are other people on the island. I will ask the others if they mind if I let him free, if they don't, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    they shouldn't have given him his dog back. I don't understand why he didn't take it with him???? I mean he brought the dog there why not take him fishing too? My dog loves to go with me when I fish.

But besides the point that is just wrong what he did to his dog. I give the guy kudos as well!
    Well the guy gets a certain level of public embarrassment and a broken window to replace. While I agree that he made a very major mistake I doubt that he will ever do it again and in all odds the dog is a very big part of his family. Some times good people do stupid stuff.

love the pic of the dog on the back, I have thought about trying this on my one man...........

Default poor dog

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well the guy gets a certain level of public embarrassment and a broken window to replace. While I agree that he made a very major mistake I doubt that he will ever do it again and in all odds the dog is a very big part of his family. Some times good people do stupid stuff.

Well I guess I can accept that, I just can't see leaving my dog in the car while I am fishing. To me my dog is more important then fishing so I would have taken him, and if he was getting to excited then I would go away from people or go home. Either way I hope the guy did learn his lession. And doesn't do that to the dog again, and I dont' mean it as a stab, I really do hope he does learn for the dog's sake.

I am not sure a dog should be brought to a crowded place like the Russian leash or not. Probably a good chance of your dog getting accidently hooked also.
    In your boat or in a less crowded place it is usually OK.
    I always hate to be fishing or gold panning somewhere when peoples dogs can't help but hang around me sniffing my bait,gear,or whatever. Most people think their pets are more well behaved then they are. Often times calling their dog 10 times or more and still the dog would rather explore around me than follow its owner.
    That and so many of them will just say oh he's friendly he won't bite. Well if I wanted a dog there I would probably have brought one.
    Why bring them if you intend him/her to just stay in the truck?
    Thank God the dog survived That is definetly animal cruelty.

P.S. Thank you Dave for asking others before you let your dog run loose.
    I always worry about hooking peoples dogs or them getting hooked while sniffing around my gear.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I owned some labs myself and it sucks to hear about stupid stuff like that. Anybody who leaves an animal in a car/truck should be very mindful of the conditions. It is pretty easy to forget about other stuff when you are fishing. They guy didn't want to leave his dog at home so probably loves his dog a lot. I am sure he feels like a dumbass and probably will for quick some time for almost killing his best friend. Good people can do stupid stuff.

The sad thing is the dog will forgive him:however, people wont.

Default rides

Our lab rides with one of us. Where we go she goes. We fished with her all weekend on the russian without any incidences whatsoever.

Now - this weekend we are taking a charter out of Valdez...12 hours on a boat. I originally was going to leave her in the tent in her kennel or in the back of the truck in her kennel. the wife wants to leave her in the front of the truck.

I am going to look for a kennel in Valdez for the day.

Worse case is that maybe a friend who is visiting valdez the same day will take her for a walk for us if we have to leave her in the truck (with the windows down and top open. 12 hours is long time and heat is a major concern. She can and will hold everything else if not fed or watered too much....

ever heard of parking in the shade
    the highest the summer sun ever gets in sc ak is what..53 degrees at high noon?
    yeah real hard to find shade

Default ferry parking

you ever seen the parking at the ferry lot on the russian river when the reds are coming in (even if the reds are slow)? you park where they tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    love the pic of the dog on the back, I have thought about trying this on my one man...........
    I'm going to spray a ruberized coating on the back deck to make it less slippery for the pooch. It will save me some money too. Not too long after that picture was taken he slipped and fell on that 7wt Sage RPLXI that is in the rear rod holder. He turned it into a 6 piece.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    P.S. Thank you Dave for asking others before you let your dog run loose.
    I always worry about hooking peoples dogs or them getting hooked while sniffing around my gear.
    No problem Chris.
    It's just common courtesy, but that's something that is sorely missing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    No problem Chris.
    It's just common courtesy, but that's something that is sorely missing these days.
    Thats one of the most accurate things ever said on this forum!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

I fish with Dave. If someone says they would not want him running loose dave keeps him tied up. Plus it keeps that mutt from eating all the good stuff on the islands in the fall. Here is a pic of a friend of Dave and Mine. Mike with his buddy. Bud loves being on the boat can you tell
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

that is funny, I want to try and get my dog to do that...........but I don't know how well he would do............plus he is good at chasing off bears.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I'm going to spray a ruberized coating on the back deck to make it less slippery for the pooch. It will save me some money too. Not too long after that picture was taken he slipped and fell on that 7wt Sage RPLXI that is in the rear rod holder. He turned it into a 6 piece.

Oh please. I think that was the rod you cracked him over the mellon with when we were trying to land one of your fishes. Then again it is your story tell it anyway you want
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast