Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 wt. for kings???

crazedBOWhunter

Default 8 wt. for kings???

Anyone have thoughts on using an 8 wt. for kings. Just purchased one for reds and had a grand ole time. I have a buddy and his wife both use theirs for kings and i'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. I've been hearing mixed things about it so....

well I guess it all depends on where your at, how good you are, and if you have a large arbor spool, but I can tell you on the parks in the streams you can get away with it. Fishing from a boat would be pretty easy though too. By the way some words of wisdom keep your knuuckles away from the reel..........it hurts! LOL

Uhh yea, def keep your knuckles away from the reel, I slammed my hand hard the other day at willow. Its do-able, I just don't think so for any king over like 25 lbs. Good Luck

I use a nice 8wt setup for reds/silvers/chums but have never considered using it for kings. One reason is the fear of breaking a really pricey setup the other reason is I don't have a boat to chase down the fish and the last reason is because a lot of my fishing for salmon is done in and around others and I don't think it's right for me to use a rod that's going to take a lot of time to get in a fish in the 25 pound or higher range causing an inconvenience to those around me.

I did however take a 15 pound halibut off of a flyrod in Kodiak a few years back. Tied a pixie on and jigged off the bottom. That was a kick!

crazedBOWhunter

Thanks for the input, anything else would be appreciated. I guess my biggest fear is snapping the rod, however, g-loomis has their warranty so if it breaks...it'll be a $50 lesson learned. Same with my reel...so ... i guess the only way i'll see if i can do it is to try... i love fly fishing and i don't have the cash to go out and buy a bigger set up, well atleast one that'll be worth the quality... and i don't want to use a regular spinner set up. nothing better than a good fight on a fly rod!!!

a good fight and a whole lot of bank runnin! LOL

I watched a guy fight a king on a flyrod for well over 25 minutes the other day...I finally pulled anchor and motored over to the shore, got out, and netted the fish for him, a little guy about 15-17lbs.

He was using an 8 wt.

I was fishing my 10wt from shore the other day, and landed a 35lb fish in under 7 minutes.

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedBOWhunter View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on using an 8 wt. for kings. Just purchased one for reds and had a grand ole time. I have a buddy and his wife both use theirs for kings and i'm curious what everyone's thoughts are. I've been hearing mixed things about it so....

I tried it once, and did catch/land a couple fish, but it took a long time. A 10 wt would have been much better and would not be too much rod.

crazedBOWhunter

Spending the money I just threw down on my 8wt. set up is keeping me from grabbing a larger set up for kings so I guess I'm going to get down there and give it a go. About 85% of people I've talked to say I'll be fighting em for a while to get em in and potentially lose a lot of fish, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take. I guess pride could bite me in the behind here bc I want to be able to say I landed my first king with a fly rod. Am I being an un-enthical fisherman here bc I've also been told that wearing fish out like that can be hard on them and potentially effect their spawning, which as we know, would effect the population for future fish. Or am I being a little melodramatic with that thought process?

Quote Originally Posted by crazedBOWhunter View Post
    Spending the money I just threw down on my 8wt. set up is keeping me from grabbing a larger set up for kings so I guess I'm going to get down there and give it a go. About 85% of people I've talked to say I'll be fighting em for a while to get em in and potentially lose a lot of fish, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take. I guess pride could bite me in the behind here bc I want to be able to say I landed my first king with a fly rod. Am I being an un-enthical fisherman here bc I've also been told that wearing fish out like that can be hard on them and potentially effect their spawning, which as we know, would effect the population for future fish. Or am I being a little melodramatic with that thought process?
    In talking with my buddy who's been a guide on the Kenai for 20+ years, sat on the board, etc, he says research shows about 3 eggs from every female survive the life cycle process from hatching to returning to spawn anywhere from 2-6 years later. Not sure how old the research is though.

crazedBOWhunter

Good to know N8...thanks for the info!

I've caught kings over 30 pounds on my 8 wt and it didn't take me that long to land them but I did hook into one fish that was probably pushing 40 and he spooled me in under a minute by getting out in the current. You can do kings on an 8 but you have to pick the water. I did mine at clear creek where the water slows down a bit. If you don't pull too hard I find you can ease them in towards shore pretty effectively in a piece of slack water.
    River Runnin

Default Easy

First fish I ever caught on fly rod was 28# King on an *wt.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

crazedBOWhunter

thanks River Runnin. I'll be heading down to Clear Creek early next week and will be stayin out there for about a week...good to know it can be done!!!

You can but I wouldn't recommend it.

Of course if I was more patient, positioned the netter better or loosened my drag a little I'd prolly be saying go for it! GL, hopefully you're better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by hartz View Post
    You can but I wouldn't recommend it.

Of course if I was more patient, positioned the netter better or loosened my drag a little I'd prolly be saying go for it! GL, hopefully you're better than me.

ahh man...is that a Z? That really sucks! Sorry to see that...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Yep. Z-Axis that was the Demo rod at the Fairbanks fly shop so I don't think Sage will replace it...

If the shop is still open, have 'em call George and tell him that you broke it while testing it.

If not, well... you're probably out a rod.

Default This is a much better proposition with a 10 wt

Quote Originally Posted by River Runnin View Post
    I've caught kings over 30 pounds on my 8 wt and it didn't take me that long to land them but I did hook into one fish that was probably pushing 40 and he spooled me in under a minute by getting out in the current. You can do kings on an 8 but you have to pick the water. I did mine at clear creek where the water slows down a bit. If you don't pull too hard I find you can ease them in towards shore pretty effectively in a piece of slack water.
    Well: having done it like river-runnin (successfully and not), I conclude it is clearly a bad idea to attempt to go after kings with an 8 wt, clear creek or anywhere else. I would not try it again with that light of a rod. The fish are just too big, too strong, and the 8 wt is not even close to enough rod, and you would be better off with something else. A 30# king is a big fish; and if it is a fairly lively fish - and not a wet boot filled with water fish - it will take your line into the bushes and that will be that for your rig.

You can try. Just be prepared as needed to point your rod at the fish and break it off at the line, not the rod, end of business. That said, an 8 wt is closer to useless than "pretty effective" in terms of landing king salmon in alaska, under any situation (small/large stream, any flow). This is a much better proposition with a 10 wt.

A guy hooked into a king on the Klutina this weekend, I happened to be standing within 20 feet of him and his 10wt. (yes, a 10wt) exploded. Never saw the fish, couldn't tell you where it was hooked but it was definitely a king and in a matter of seconds the fish was in the hard current and a few seconds later the rod was in multiple pieces heading downstream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast