Thread: Lost Items in Copper River

Default Lost Items in Copper River

As precarious as the situation is...what have you found or seen floating down the river? We lost a net on Friday (if anyone found one), I think that a dipper in a boat got it. Any way, I am sure that much is lost to that river due to wind, slippage, etc. Any stories???

My pride... And more than once, too.

Physical strength and endurance; sacrificed there many times...

And a beer, once upon a time, years ago.... Watching that bob up and down as it headed down river caused a tear to form in the corner of my eye.

I miss that beer....

Thus far I've managed to hang onto all of my gear, save a sharpie for marking my harvest ticket last year. Sockeye somehow managed to get it under it's tail and as it was flopping around. Suddenly a sharpie shot past me and into the river.

Almost lost a neoprene glove this year. Turns out they don't weigh much, and the wind blew it off a rock into the river. It went directly into a little eddy and just sort of swirled around there, so we were able to retrieve it.

The lesson there is winds can be gusty and strong on a fairly random basis in the canyon.

I have lost several good night's worth of sleep to that river. I guess that's ok.

The very first fish I ever caught dipping the copper. Which would't have been that bad, but my fist trip to the copper I was skunked, and I dipped quite some time that second trip before I caught that first fish.

I'd pulled it out of the net, bonked it, and it was pretty dirty from rolling on the bank. So I decided to rinse the fish, and it slipped out of my hands... Hard to describe how horrible I fealt.

I did manage to catch and keep 4 more fish, so the trip wasn't a waste.

Default Claimed by the Copper River

we have lost two nets the copper river on separate outings, one of which had a 24 pack of pepsi in it

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default Lost boat

Not mine, but watched three men lose theirs and almost their lives 2 Father's Days ago.

Story is here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...3&postcount=15

Default beagle

Somebody lost a beagle that a group of folks I know dipped up and saved
    the dog was under water when it got tangled in one of their nets, and pulled up. Dog and relieved owner were reunited. Lucky he didn't get his tailed clipped!!

Default Eye doctor lost my dad's gun

Our family eye doctor borrowed one of my father's 44 mag revolvers on a dipnetting trip. It slipped off his belt holster and fell in the river. The story ended well as he gave us free eye checkups for the entire family for 10 years.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default A list...

Fillet Knife ( some careless person next to me kicked it while getting a beer )

Fillet Board (same as above)

Stringer with 4 fish on it. (same as above...I could have wrung his neck!!!)

Dip-net Pole, but that one floated in the back eddy till I was able to secure it.

Hours and hours of sleep...but man what a beautiful place to lose them!!!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default lost & found

lost: a dipnet while drifting, darn rocks....

found: a fillet knife in O'Brien Crk....

broken: tent zippers, darn silt.....

Default hate to say it...

But back in 78 I saw a guy lose his life while dipping. He went under twice and by the time anybody realized what was happening, he never surfaced for the third time. Found his body three days later. His teenage son witnessed it too. Sad. There is nothing like feeling so helpless when a guy goes into that water. So please.... tie yourselves off.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

One pair of scissors. Several fish managed to slip alive back into the river also, at a spot with not much room for getting the fish out of the net.

I saw a fishwheel doing cartwheels down the Copper last year during the really high water. I was bank fishing and saw it come down the river.

A friend of mine lost a bunch of gear, but not to the river, to thieves.

I have been lucky so far, have not lost any nets or knives in the Copper the 5 years I have been...Hopefully this is not the year I lose lots of stuff.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have personally lost two friends into that river both never recovered. (1994 and 2001)

as for gear, in 2002 i lost 4 nets to kings in 45 min, all in all 7 reds taken home with truck problems cost me about $135.00 a pound
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Lost items

You know that loooooong straight stretch as you first turn onto the Edgarton Highway coming down the hill?

Met a couple gentlemen who planted their truck into the ditch at the bottom of the hill on their way to dipping. Apparently on a suicide run and fell asleep at the wheel.

Also, my fishing partners lost a string of 25 fish due to not tying it off properly.

~tr

I have lost A jet boil, snips, and a stringer of six fish. Almost lost myself but that is why I tie off and wear a life vest. Two years ago we watched a truck sink into the river from the sand bars below the bridge. I have debated about taking my daughter(13yo) this year, but think I don't want to lose her!!!
    The trail killed my home made bike trailer last year. I think this year we will be paying hems.