Thread: alaskan 17' or alaskan 2 18'

Default alaskan 17' or alaskan 2 18'

I have a 1970's alumaweld 21' flat bottom that my father bought when he first moved up here 30 odd years ago. Just repowered it a few years back with a yammy 150/105 4 stroke. Boat is showing its age and I have started to try and find a replacement.

As is, it is a little over 2k lbs as it sits and takes awhile to get on plane, 4 or 5 seconds. But when on plane it runs up to 39 and gets around 3.5 mpg, and has no problem skipping over gravel bars and such.

My aim is to run shallow and carry at least a couple hundred pounds of gear and a couple guys. Is the alaskan 2 18' 6" really worth getting over the alaskan? I talked with the boat shop and they said I could custom order a thicker bottom to match the 1/5" on the alumaweld. How does the performance differ from the 17' and the 18' 6''? Can I fit a atv in either with the walkthrough windshield?

The Ak 17' is a great little boat, but, its really more of a fishing boat than a cargo hauler or Moose hunter. I would not hesitate to get the AKII over the 17' Ak, the extra bottom width really makes a difference. Or order up an Extra+ in the wide model.
    I upgraded from a 17' Ak (old hull) to a 17' Sport, and its night and day how much more I can haul with the 72" wide bottom.
    My $.02
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

As Yukoner said the AK I is a great boat if you dont plan on hauling a load, if yer serious about a AKII, get the 20 footer, the 18's use to be heavier and more expensive than the 20's as a result of flotation requirements, not sure if that still holds true.....
    It sounds like yer older alumaweld does ok.....3.5 MPG is not bad...........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have the older 17 AK (93) and if I had cash and a choice I would get the newer wider AK 2. Then again if I was going to order a brand new boat it would probably be the inboard version exactly like tjm is on the cusp of getting delivered.

I would love to have an inboard, but I don't really need one. I already have an outboard engine with low miles and if I keep it under 20k I don't have to finance it so that is a plus. I did not know about the added weight on the 18' the dealer never mentioned it thanks for the heads up.

How does your sport perform in the shallow water? Is it a good compromise between being able to run shallow and take on river sized swells without getting beat up? I was considering the sport too but couldnt find much on how it does in the skinny stuff.

I love my Alaskan 17 (2007 wider model)... But I've never ridden in an Alaskan II so I cannot compare. The dealer does not provide test rides, and I believe the salesmen had never been in one on the water, they weren't much help.

As the rest said if your hauling weight, the bigger boat will do better I'm sure. I can haul some weight, it just takes some work to get on step.

If you wanna test ride an Alaskan 17 PM me and we can go for a ride for some first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelriver_ak View Post
    How does your sport perform in the shallow water? Is it a good compromise between being able to run shallow and take on river sized swells without getting beat up? I was considering the sport too but couldnt find much on how it does in the skinny stuff.
    The Sport easily runs as shallow as my old Ak did, maybe even shallower due to the wider width? Certainly stays on step at lower speeds with and without a load. It is still a rough ride though, not quite as rough as the Ak as its got more deadrise on the bow, but you just can't get shallow running performance without the tradeoff.
    The thing I like about the Sport is the high front. In the Yukon, we have lots of lakes, and the higher front and extra width gives me lots more peace of mind when things kick up. For a pure river boat, I think its hard to beat the Ak series, and if I lived in The Great Land, I would most likely have an Ak II or Extra Plus.
    Put your mind at rest though, they will all beat you up in the chop. Just order air ride seats though, and its all good
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I may have to start looking into the sport model, I wasn't really considering it, couldnt find anything on it. Up here the squirrel river gets pretty shallow with alot of boulders so I guess the thicker hull on the sport would help on really light scrapes. What did you power it with? So you can haul a pretty good sized load?

Sorry I was rushing earlier when I posted I had to run to the river. Halfway through posting we got buzzed by a waterbomber flying over the house. They were scooping up water right in front of town on the river, they must have made 20 runs or so, 2 planes, looked alot like goose's.

Yukoner, I meant to ask how the sport performs with a light load of just a couple guys, what it runs for speed and how it does in light chop. The alumaweld I have has little deadrise in the front and is completely flat from the back half to the transom so even in the lightest chop we are bouncing around. .

Shum thanks for the offer, I haven't seen any of the boats in question in the water before so I am basing what I buy with what I read online and hear from other people about, hard to see examples out in the bush.

Well, it performs really well. Last fall with three guys, gear and an unlucky Moose, it jumped right up on step (with a 115 yammy 2s, 3 blade imp) and happily danced through the shallow, twisty river we were on.
    I think any of the Wooldridge boats will handle better in the chop than your john type boat, but they still bounce around.
    Can't tell you how fast it runs, fast enough for me for sure I'm not to concerned with the speed myself.
    As far as the hull goes, its thicker than the Aks, but you can order the AkII or the Extra Plus with thick hulls.
    Like I said, the Aks or Xtra + models, IMHO, are better pure river boats than the Sport. The flat fronts make for easier loading/inloading, and the slightly flatter dead rise is probably a good thing, although the Sport runs as shallow as my old Ak did.
    Like AkGramps said, if you are considering the 18', just skip right to the 20's. I like the 17', but I would like a 20' more You can just take that much more people and gear.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Showed my dad the Alaskan earlier and he seemed to really like the design and such, agreed that wooly's were a good quality boat. He was wondering at the price I would be paying for a hull and such why I didnt just look for an inboard. He gave me the ok to sell our boat if a good deal happened upon an inboard. He figured 9-12k would be fair for the 21' and 4T 105 jet. An hour later I caught him on craigslist looking at inboards. He has his eye on a 20' NorthRiver 350chev in fairbanks. The only part that scares me is the fuel cost of running one. Never had one but I have always seen ones that pass by have a drum of gas sitting on the bow

Definitely an apples to oranges comparison w/ the NR to the Wooly AK in any configuration.

Default AK II & Sport

I used to own a 20' AK II w/135 Optimax and ran both prop and jet. Had no problems getting on step with a load and she ran pretty good in shallow water with the jet.
    I currently own a 20' Sport w/175 Optimax and run both prop and jet. Rides a little better in the chop then the AK II did and does better in shallow water. The ability to walk around the outside IMO is at times a great option to have.
    AkGramps and Yukoner got it right about going with a 20' as opposed to a 17' or 18' boat. But I also think the Extra Plus with wide bottom would be a great setup too. I do like the flat nosed bows better than the pointed you find with the Sport.
    Here are some pictures for reference.
    Here is a link to some skinny water running I have done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnUKHWDdFGs
    Attached Images Attached Images

So what happened in that canyon? The other boat tag a rock?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

We thought the same thing, but no he didn't hit anything.