Thread: New Rifle Built

Default New Rifle Built

I recently had a .300 Win Mag built and wanted to share.

Action: Stiller Tac300
    Barrel: Hart, #5 contour, 24", 6 flutes, bead blasted
    Trigger: Jewell, HVRTS
    Mag: HS Precision, DBM
    Stock: MacMillan, Remington Hunter
    Rings: Seekins Precision, 4 screw
    Scope: Horus Hawk 4X12X50, 30mm

I worked up several hand loads with the Barnes 180 TTSX and H1000, RL22, and W760 powders. The most accurate load was 79.0gr H1000 which chrono'd at 2789-2795, 5 shot group of .5" at 100 yds off of a bench. Not bad for a Grunt like me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the components and the finished product is easy on the eyes. I've been rolling a new rifle over in my mind and though I'll probably not build a 30 caliber I like your tastes. I''m considering the TAC 300 and Hart makes a good barrel, but so do a host of others. I love the Hunter style stock, but I'd opt for a blue or yellow based McSwirly.

If you have some IMR (or H) 4831 you might give it a try. My 300 WM simply loves IMR 4831, accuracy is top shelf and 180s will make 3100 and change from a 24 inch barrel.

One in ten twists for the .30 caliber barrels does as good as you are going to get with that velocity range. I have had a one in 11 twist made for the 180 grain length of bullet that does and outstanding job also. Remember it is really the length and the velocity of the bullet that is the determining factor for twist. I have had more bug hole barrels from Hart than all other makers combined in .30 cal than all others combined, never had a bad barrel in any caliber from them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Very nice indeed.

I swung by McMillan today and checked on two of my projects. A Rem Hunter stock like yours in Carbon for a 300RUM and an A5 for a 338LM in what appears to be the same swirl combination of olive, black and medium tan. I got to touch the finished A5 but the carbon hunter is awaiting in-letting.

Is that a HS Precision bottom metal with magazine feed?

I worked up a 300WM load for a gift rifle with RL-17 that preformed well. 68.7gr chronographed at 3026fps and grouped better than .5" in a production Ruger.

You have great results but I think your powder selection is a touch slow for caliber. Perhaps you may be noticing muzzle flash? Either way, good job and thanks for sharing your story.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=68903

Default bottom metal

Yes Marshall, the bottom metal is HS Precision's detachable magazine assembly. I really wanted a detachable mag and even ordered a Wyatt's. But after getting the Wyatt's in the mail I decided that the extended 5 rd mag was just too much for hunting purposes. I like the construction of the HS mag, the only thing that might be a problem is when you release the mag, gravity is the only thing to get it out. Im afraid if the mag well gets dirty or full of sand, it may not just fall out of the well.

The other issue I had was HS Precision told me that their mag assembly was a "drop-in" replacement for the Rem 700 BDL. I ordered my stock as a 700 BDL and since MacMillan had already begun making my stock, I was unable to make any changes. The stock had to be slightly modified in order for the HS assembly to fit properly. Now I have a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the mag and the stock. No biggie, but wish I would have known in advance about the HS mag fit.

The powders I used were what I already had in my collection. I am planning on trying other faster powders in the future. Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Targetman View Post
    Yes Marshall, the bottom metal is HS Precision's detachable magazine assembly. I like the construction of the HS mag, the only thing that might be a problem is when you release the mag, gravity is the only thing to get it out.

The other issue I had was HS Precision told me that their mag assembly was a "drop-in" replacement for the Rem 700 BDL. I ordered my stock as a 700 BDL and since McMillan had already begun making my stock, I was unable to make any changes. The stock had to be slightly modified in order for the HS assembly to fit properly. Now I have a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the mag and the stock. No biggie, but wish I would have known in advance about the HS mag fit.
    I too have the HS set up. I dropped it at McMillan this morning and found out about the fit. They got it in time to make the adjustments in the manufacturing process to compensate for the fit.

I installed one on a buddies Remington Sendero 300RUM. It was a perfect fit but that is of course a HS Precision stock. Feeding is much better than the factory set up.

Cool shot group

Here is my best shot group with the loads I mentioned above. Maybe with more trial and error on the handloads I can tighten this up a bit!

[QUOTE=Targetman;759518]Here is my best shot group with the loads I mentioned above. Maybe with more trial and error on the handloads I can tighten this up a bit![/QUOTE

Every time I see a group picture with a coin in the picture I wonder if the coin is not there to cover up a fl yer out of the group?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Talking well...

Now we all know what Big Al does when he has a flier! haha I guess I could have just covered all 5 shots with the quarter then took the pic, but then no one would believe that either! I suppose it is just a catch 22 either way!!!

Nice looking rifle targetman. I thought i'd share one I just recently had done. The action is a Nesika MT in 338LM. jewell trigger. The barrel is a Krieger 1-10" with a custom cut chamber. It's not visible in the photo but it's capped off with a Surefire break for use with a quick detachable suppressor. The scope rail in the photo was completely custom made from the same type of steel as the receiver. It extends out past the end of the reciever so a UNS can be mounted in front of the day scope. The rings are also custom. They are secured with press-fit steel pins next to the screws to guarantee alignment. Mcmillan made the stock. They did not have a pattern for my action, but they were great a custom designed the action from my specs and then topped it off with a big fat discount and some great service. I'm still developing data for it and mapping the trajectory to get a replacement dial for the scope. the scope is a Leupold Mark4 ER/T 8.5-25x50.
    here is my current load. lapua cases (completely processed, primer pockets cut, flash hole deburred, trim to lenth, sorted by weight and neck thickness), fed gm215m primers, 300 grain sierra mk over 89.0 grains of VV N570.
    I don't have any group photos covering up my fliers but it turns out 1/2 minute 5 shot groups with ease.

Targetman,

Don't worry about the cover up comment, nice shooting on your part even if there is one hiding under the coin.

AlpineEarl, nice package. My 338LM is just about complete. Bedding and test firing prior to coating and delivery. Looking at mid July for completion. Mounting the same scope as you plus the Barrett BORS system and Elite Iron suppressor.

I'm currently helping a friend with a 27" 1:10 twist 338LM with great results. I'm hoping that data will transfer to my package. 300gr Lapua Scenars over 87gr Retumbo, 300gr Lapua Scenars over 88.5gr of RL-25, 250gr Lapua Lock Base over 91.5gr RL-25 and 250gr Lapua Lock Base over 88.0gr of N-165. CCI 250's with all loads. All bullets loaded to .020 off the lands and shooting better than .5 MOA at 300 yards. All loads are better than Black Hills 250gr SMK offerings.

Default fun times...

marshall, sounds like you are having some fun with the new builds!

The 300WM above was my first build, but I have caught the bug!!! I wanted to build a varmint rifle in 22-250 AI or a .22-.243, but decided to get a new sheep rifle first. I have ordered one of the Marlin XS7S (stainless version) in 7mm-08. Gonna send it off to Lone Wolf stocks to have a Summit XL put on it. Then, depending on how it shoots after that, I may have the action overhauled as well. Not a complete build but a fun little factory-mod. With the Marlins costing around $300, I dont think I can go wrong for a rifle that is gonna get beat up on the mountain!

The 7mm-08 is a great little round. My nephew got the Weatherby Vanguard for his 8th birthday and handles it well. I loaded up some 120gr Ballistic Tips and sight them at 2.5" high at 100 yards. They hit 2.5" low at 300 with a max height of 3" at 150 yards. Recoil with the 120's is very mild and they should be fine for sheep. I think the 7mm-08 is better than the .308 or .243 from the same parent case.

It is really hard no matter how nice these custom built action are to get to excited about spending a lot of money on push feed actions no matter how accurate they are. No one competes with hunting rifles and to get to the point of spending 3 to 4 grand on a rifle that I don't compete with just seems a little nuts to me. For punching holes in paper I vote for push feed actions but for hunting my vote still stays with CRF actions I just don't care if they only hold 4" at 400 yards as that seems to work OK for me.

Nice build and good shooting to boot. What's she weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    It is really hard no matter how nice these custom built action are to get to excited about spending a lot of money on push feed actions no matter how accurate they are. No one competes with hunting rifles and to get to the point of spending 3 to 4 grand on a rifle that I don't compete with just seems a little nuts to me. For punching holes in paper I vote for push feed actions but for hunting my vote still stays with CRF actions I just don't care if they only hold 4" at 400 yards as that seems to work OK for me.
    I tend to agree with some of what you said. OK, truthfully I only agree with the vote for CRF actions...sometimes. My 338lm is definately not a hunting rifle. My main hunting rifles are a win model 70 in 338wm, an Argentine mauser in 270 and a Remington 03a3 in 06'. I earn a living with my rifles (non-hunting rifles) so it's far more than a hobby.

Also, 3 grand would be a bargain for a custom built distance gun and I'd throw the rifle away if only pushed 4" at 400meters. And, i know plenty of people who compete in benchrest competitions in the light varmint class with their "hunting" rifles and none are CRF.

I too like CRF actions but there is absolutley no need for one if your shooting something like a 7mm-08 or 270 for non-dangerous game. I carried an M24 in both 308 and 300wm for more than 15years and pursued plently of "dangerous" game that also had rifles and the push feed model 700 never failed me, not even once. Heck, one of my favorite rifles was an old m21 (m14 with ARTIII scope) and that Veitnam era gun would spit lake city ball ammo in groups half the size of your 4" at 400yards.

A further indication that it's not a hunting rifle might have been the load I listed, since it uses a 300 grn SMK, definately not a hunting bullet. Or the suppressor reference, or the UNS (universal night sight)mount . Plus I've always tried to get as colse as possible for a shot and think the "how far can you shoot a deer" crowd is a bit misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You're just pointing out a personal preference, that's all. There is no need for a CRF rifle other than the fact that you prefer one. And trying to convince me or anybody else that is "needed" for dangerous game is 110% bogus, as the most dangerous game in my book is another human being that is armed himself/herself. And last time I looked, the U.S. military is knocking down armed bad guys just fine and on a regular basis, with an m24 push feed rifle. Facts don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    The 7mm-08 is a great little round. My nephew got the Weatherby Vanguard for his 8th birthday and handles it well. I loaded up some 120gr Ballistic Tips and sight them at 2.5" high at 100 yards. They hit 2.5" low at 300 with a max height of 3" at 150 yards. Recoil with the 120's is very mild and they should be fine for sheep. I think the 7mm-08 is better than the .308 or .243 from the same parent case.
    The 7mm is a good fit for the .308 case for sure.

Default weight...

Matt, Im not too sure what she weighs as I do not have good scale to use. My best estimate is that it is approx. 9.5 lbs total.

The balance is quite good. I initially wanted a 26" barrel in Hart's #5 contour, but decided on 24" instead, which I think helps with the balance. I may have $3000 invested in her but she is mine forever! She isnt a mountain rifle, but my new little Marlin should fill that void quite well... This custom build thing is addictive though, but since I am just a meat hunter the increase in cost isnt worth the return. However, the education and knowledge that I received during the entire research, purchase, and assembly process was well worth the $$$...IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You're just pointing out a personal preference, that's all. There is no need for a CRF rifle other than the fact that you prefer one. And trying to convince me or anybody else that is "needed" for dangerous game is 110% bogus, as the most dangerous game in my book is another human being that is armed himself/herself. And last time I looked, the U.S. military is knocking down armed bad guys just fine and on a regular basis, with an m24 push feed rifle. Facts don't lie.
    I came to my opinions after a lot of years using both types of actions. I use push feeds for non-dangerous game and CRF rifles for any hunting I do where there is possibility of game eating back. I do not feel save with push feeds, so no thanks. Its is nice to own both types of actions and not ask for any reason to justify my actions.