Thread: New lone Wolf stock

Default New lone Wolf stock

So my new Lone Wolf Summit XL stock is in the mail, and I need to do a bed job on it when it gets here.
    Initially I was going to bed with Devcon PlastiSteel, but then I hear conflicting info, with others saying the Brownells Acraglas Gel is the stuff.
    Any thoughts either way?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    So my new Lone Wolf Summit XL stock is in the mail, and I need to do a bed job on it when it gets here.
    Initially I was going to bed with Devcon PlastiSteel, but then I hear conflicting info, with others saying the Brownells Acraglas Gel is the stuff.
    Any thoughts either way?
    I changed my bedding practices from Acraglas Gel to Devcon 10110 5 rifles ago and I'll never go back to Acraglas. Devcon is better in almost every way; it has minimal shrinkage and is durable to a fault. You can't change the color of Devcon much, but keep it from showing and that doesn't matter anyway.

Funny, all it took was to here one guy swearing by the Acraglas, and I started to second guess the Devcon.
    Are you mixing it as per the Devcon instructions, or adding more/less hardener to make it more install friendly?
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default cost?

Yukoner, do you mind sharing with us the cost of a Summit XL? I am thinking of putting one on my new Marlin XS7Y in 7mm08, after I have the smithy tune it up a little!

My $.02-- and that's about all it's worth.

I know zilch about Lone Wolf stocks. I assume "plastic" of some sort. No matter. The type of bedding compound may be less important than how well the action is bedded. Unless the Lone Wolf has an integral alum (or other metal) rail system I'd consider pillar bedding. As far as type of epoxy... for pillar bedding the epoxy doesn't support any action screw compression so doesn't seem that the type of epoxy would be so critical. While somewhat heavy, I've used HS Precision stocks a lot. They have the integral aluminum pillar and rail system so require only final fitting and inspection with minimal bedding compound. For all other stocks that require the action to be supported against compression the best method is pillar bedding. As to the question of type of compound. I've been using JB Weld for quite a while and have had good results. Another good compound is made by Score High and there's no reason to think that Devcon 10110 wouldn't also be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Funny, all it took was to here one guy swearing by the Acraglas, and I started to second guess the Devcon.
    Are you mixing it as per the Devcon instructions, or adding more/less hardener to make it more install friendly?
    I mix per the instructions and use Kiwi Neutral Color shoe polish for release agent. Mixed per the instructions it has the consistency of peanut butter and I find it very easy to apply. I let it set for 8-10 hours and then separate the barreled action from the stock. I've been most impressed with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Targetman View Post
    Yukoner, do you mind sharing with us the cost of a Summit XL? I am thinking of putting one on my new Marlin XS7Y in 7mm08, after I have the smithy tune it up a little!
    $625 USD incl. shipping, painted, SS sling studs and Pachmeyer pad. Bit of a wait, I ordered in March. Stock is Carbon/Kevlar. Has pillars installed.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Thumbs up

Pillars are good! Now it's just a matter of checking for binding of the action as the action is put into the stock and pulled down by the acton screws and the recoil lug contact is plumb on it's rear contact surface with no binding on sides or bottom. I like the sound of a correctly bedded acton as it slides down to bottom contact with the pillars... "clunk". Then the feel as the action screws finger tighten freely down to full contact leaving only the last partial turn with a driver to medium torque and full, hard stop.

As an update, I thought I would post some ideas on bedding compounds.
    Devcon PLastiSteel seems to be getting lots of thumbs up from folks. However, I recall it being quite brittle, so I bought a Lb of it and checked it out again, and sure enough, it is quite brittle when cured.
    So, I thought to myself, there must be a better bedding compound out there.
    I did a bunch of research, and after speaking with tech support at a few suppliers, I have come up with this stuff
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...be7ZMZSJBQRHgl
    High shear and tensile strength, minimal shrinkage, tough, and having used it before, it is not brittle. And impact resistant, most important.
    I ordered up a few packs, and I already have the applicator, so I'm going to use this stuff.
    Once it comes in, I'll do a photo essay on the bedding and let everyone know how this stuff works.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.