Thread: Pants for SE Deer Hunting

Default Pants for SE Deer Hunting

Well, I've been contemplating a new pair of pants for Alpine deer hunting this year since its only a little over a month away.

I'd like to get a soft-shell pant for their ability to dry quickly.

I've considered the Sitka Ascent pant, as well as a few others.

What are you guys using?

Any advice?

I have a pair of Ascent Pants and they are comfy and seem to be very durable BUT I think there are better options out there IF you don't care about the camo. I'm currently looking at the Marmot Scree Pant. You can easily find them in Black or their Grey BUT they have a Tarmac color which seems to be better suited for those who want something to blend with their camo....the only problem is that color seems to sell out fast. I'm going to have my Ascent Pant and hopefully the Marmot Scree Pant in time for my Newfoundland Moose Hunting Trip in October, I will see then which pant I prefer. Suppose to be a wet/rough hunt...not like Alaska but enough to test out the gear! Have a look at Marmot Scree Pant on their website, you might prefer them.

Paolo

Default Good choice

I currently use Marmot Scree and Sitka Ascent pants - both are great choices and dry quickly. Drop me a line and I can get more info.

Swazi ... dri-backs ... best hunting pant there is.

Id love to hear some details in regards to the Scree Pants and even a comparison to the Ascent Pants. As for the SWAZI gear...is their gear completely fleece? How well do they hold up in the bush from thorns, etc.?

Paul

Westcomb Sybcro's rock! They aren't cheap but they hold up well, move/stretch with you and resist getting wet dry super fast when they do. I have destroyed every pair of sitka pants I have worn in short order and the westcomb's survived a long season including a gnarly 8 days of busting brush and hauling meat up and down Kodiak from the salt to goat country with nary a scratch on em. After 6 days on the island I was at base camp and had the opportunity to put on clean ascent pants for the remainder of the trip but decided the filthy westcombs were still a better option. I simply didn't want to deal w/ blown seems or missing buttons that seem to plague the sitka pants in my experience.

I've been trying to get a pair of Westcombs but I don't want black pants...they have/had an olive/green pair but are impossible to find. I don't feel safe wearing black in the bush even if they are just pants, all I need is someone mistaking me for a black bear not that my ass is that big ....The westcombs do look like a great pair. My question is, are they slim fitting like the Marmot Scree Pant and the Sitka Ascent Pant or are they loose fitting like a pair of loose fit jeans?

Paul

Very similar in fit to the Ascent. I am a pretty big guy and they fit me well without being baggy. They are a bit looser than the Champ pants that's for sure (and a positive in my book).

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Swazi ... dri-backs ... best hunting pant there is.

I've eyed these pants - Do you have a picture of them?

Why do you like them?