Thread: Russell Sheep Hunter

Default Russell Sheep Hunter

Has anyone got experience with these boots? I have only known one guy who had them and he is no longer around.

I do not have that specific pair of Russell boots but do have five or six pairs of their boots in different styles. They are a first rate, quality product. These boots are handmade instead of mass produced.

Hope this helps.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default Great Boots

I own a pair and have used them on several wilderness hunts (Alaska x3, British Columbia, West Texas) and numerous day hunts over the past 8 years or so. The worksmanship, quality and fit are all first rate and I really like the ankle support (even after getting them soaked). Their customer service is also excellent.

I was a bit nervous about buying the boots since they were (and still are) quite expensive but I have not been disappointed a bit and have even order a second pair of Russell's in a different style.

I may not be the best person to comment since I am comparing the boots to military boots that I've worn over the past 2+ decades, but they do fit like a glove and haven't let me down yet.

Good luck!

I have had that boot and liked the fit but I don't consider them rugged enough for hard sheep hunting.....rocks wear through the stitching quite rapidly.....not near as much ankle support as in the European mountain boots...

Yeah, I wondered how tough and supportive they would be for repeated use sheep hunting. I have irregular feet due to some bone chips from a past injury that the orthopedic surgeon said would be best left alone. I twigged on the Russels because they mention building a boot around bunions and such. For the present time I am making do with euro made boots.

Default Russell Boots

I have the Russell Sheep Hunter boot. The Claw Air Bob sole is one of the best I've ever used on rock and shale. It is a softer material that grips extremely well. I had mine made with the toe cover which adds considerable durability to the boot. The ankle support is very good without putting undue stress on the knee. No break in time needed in comparison to the euro boots I have. I've used them on a number of mountain hunts - although I've learned not to saturate the leather too much with Pecards Silicone as it loosened up the glue on the sole.

Hope this helps.

Wingert

Default Have a pair

I've got a pair of the sheep hunters as well. I really like the claw foot air bob soles but...... They hurt me big time breaking them in for some reason the insulation got sewed in with a seam right on my heel. After putting 2 holes in my feet I shelved them for a couple of years. They still rub me wrong but now use them for short stuff so I don't wear out my Kenetreks as fast. I echo Verns commets about the stitching it will cut easily mine are coated in shoe goo. Hope this helps

I have to be the naysayer. I think the ankle support is next to non-existent and the soles were coming off after one hunt. Two thumbs down from me.

I tried plastic boots and didn't care for them. I settled on Lowa boots and couldn't be happier. Meindl, Hanwag, Kennetrek, etc would all be comparable.

I ended up with a pair of Hanwag Trapper GTX. Nice boot and more what I'm used to.

i have two pair (one insulated-one not) and really like them. they have a "small footprint" and are very edgy on rocky, narrow trails. for me, they climb like a mountaineering boot. also they are great in and out of a stirrup....no small thing here!
    russells run large and mine are actually 1 size smaller than my danners, 1 1/2 size smaller than my lowe's. with reasonable care they will last a L O N G time!!
    happy trails.
    jh