Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad moose spots?

Default Bad moose spots?

Hi to everybody up North. I have convinced my wife that we need to move to Alaska for hunting purposes. I was wondering if there are any areas to stay away from. We really want to hunt moose and caribou in an easily accessible area if that is possible. Are there moose throughout the state?

Default Big Game Alaska

bigswede358, the only place I know like that is near Portage, it's called Big Game Alaska. HAHA. Every one here is still looking for that. Seriously though, yes there are moose pretty much everywhere in Alaska. I think you should narrow down the areas that is suitable to the way of life you want to live, then talk to ADFG about hunting areas close. This forum is good info on semi specific areas also, check out the old threads. Nail down the lifestyle you want first then look at hunting possibilties.

Exclamation Instead of....

thinking about where to live for hunting purposes...you maybe need to consider thinking about where to live so you don't freeze your A%$ off all winter! If that is the case...Fairbanks is probably not the best choice! Geeeez...our temperature swings are wild.

I always thought it would be nice to live in Southeast somewhere for the fishing, hunting and the great weather...besides some rain, but that beats -50 any day. Good luck with your decision...Alaska is a great place to live and raise a family for sure. And yes...there is moose pretty much all over the state.

"We really want to hunt moose and caribou in an easily accessible area if that is possible"

if you have a fourwheeler thats faster than everyone elses you've got a shot at finding that spot. but keep in mind some accesalbe spots in alaska are a freakin' disaster area, trails sometimes get several hundred yards wide as folks try to avoid a mud spot, when you see it from the air it makes you pretty sad, i remember what it was like when i was a kid, lots changed since then.

the above post is right, don't decide where your gonna live based on moose and caribou, you can only hunt those for a couple months but you've gotta live there all the time. for access to areas that have those game animals you've gonna have to live somewhere near fairbanks. for "easy" access you won't get that for caribou down south of there. plus you've got the anchoragehordehunters to deal with as well. but you'll have those anywhere, as your looking into becoming one i guess.

If it was me. i'd love on the south west side of kodiak...fox, caribou, deer goat and bear. fox, otter and beaver trappin in the winter, caribou year round and deer in the fall, bear tag if your lucky to get one.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Question moving for hunting purposes!?

if hunting was my #1 criteria for where i lived i would look to montana, colorado, idaho...at least somewhere that there were a big variety of game both large and small and lengthy seasons....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default hunting

You're exactly right homerdave. I wouldn't expect to come to AK and have moose and caribou running around your house. There are moose all over the state, but you can go for miles and miles without seeing a sign of them, and then you'll hit a pocket of them. That pocket may move depending on predation, hunting pressure, etc. I talk to people every day who moved here to hunt, but find themselves doing less of it than before because the logistics can be very difficult. There really isn't that much game in AK for the size of the state (compared to game population densities/land mass in other states), but when you find a pocket of game, it can be good-----at least for a while. If you're looking to hunt in the evenings after work or on the weekends, you'd probably be better off in one of the western states. But if you're willing to step out of the box and hunt harder and longer than you've ever hunted before, AK may be your place. It will make you appreciate the game you get even more, both for the meat and the experience! Good luck with your decision.

One thing to think about, AK is alot bigger than any other state. That being said it is common to travel 3-4 hrs one way to go fishing or hunting. It usually takes me 6 hrs to get where I like to hunt. If I was back home I would cross 1 whole state and into the next before hunting, lol. This is simply to get to road accessible hunting or fishing away from the masses yet it's still not isolation. There aren't many roads here especially when you consider the size of the state. I think it was said already but as far as places to stay away from, well there aren't that many cities to make a decent income so that will probably need more consideration unless of course your retired or what have you.

Talking Just kidden, right?

I hope homerdave was just kidding about hunters moving to Idaho, Montana, etc. Don't even joke about that...you're hittin below the belt with that one...we're trying to get rid of some, and you think we should have more. In other words... welcome new hunters...but not in our backyard. At least, when WE go to Alaska to hunt, we have the decency and respect to leave when we're through, because we can take a hint when we're no longer welcome. And all we're guilty of is throwing around a little trash, snipe shoot a couple of animals and spread around a little money. (actually, why most of leave is the cold, rain, wind, snow...did I mention bugs?) Come to think of it, I'm also describing here so this is all pointless, see ya.

Talking okay, okay!!!

how about california or hawaii...you can hunt pigs all year, and there is plenty of small game...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Smile Whew!

Thanks homerdave. Now I'm not so depressed.

There are several villages in NW alaska that have very good moose, bou, bear, wolf hunting, as well as several species of fish to go after.
    Then there are maybe a dozen villages along the Lower Yukon R. and Delta that have the best moose hunting in the state and the VERY best king salmon in the whole state. Not much for bou tho.
    The middle Kusko R. has decent moose, and winter access to bou, as well as bears and salmon.
    However, actually being able to live in any of these places is another matter.
    I would really suggest moving to Homer and just mooching hunting spots off of Dave, he's a guide and guides know all the good hunting spots. He has a big boat too!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up travel

Every year there are big bulls killed off the road system but when you have 1000 people hunting the same little area somebodys gonna kill something. To find what you are looking for on the road system you have to do your homework, be willing to travel (like from Texas to North Dakota), hunt your a#$ off, and go farther than the "other guys". P.S. Alaska IS the best place on earth.

Default there is some truth to living south and hunting north

I lived in AK for a couple years, worked a decent job that many others said was a great job. I found that it cost me about $400 less to hunt as a res then non res for a decent high percentage hunt. I returnred to E. WA and upon arrival was earning 25% more money....plenty to pay for a plane ride up and back as well as the extra $400. If you are dead set on sheep and bears....well you are independently wealthy or moving to AK.....I am sure I will be back soon as I want to hunt sheep on my own.

If you want moose, you might as well stay away from the AK Peninsula or at least the lower half of it. We have caribou and bears out the ying yang, meese are pretty thin.
    Now what ?

man i saw alot of great bulls on the south end of the ak pen, outa sand point and sandy river area, south of cinder river down towards cold bay. i saw more bull moose than i did bears on my hunt outa sand point over near heredeen bay.
    Master guide 212

Moving to Alaska for hunting purposes might not be the best idea. But if you add on fishing, great scenery, tons of other outdoor stuff (skiing/snowmachining/atvs/hiking/etc), great quality of life, and no 100 degree days - it is a better sell.

It also helps to have a job, unless you are retired or rich. If a person was rich I think it would be hard to beat living in AK. I guess rolling up a bunch of debt might work to.

I agree with Homerdave and Sculpin. The hunting is pretty hard up here. Takes lots of travel and lots of time. But if your into that then you may find what your looking for.

That is why I may go back to Montana. But that is another story and I am finding an incredibly hard choice.

well said its hard hunting up here, but if you review some of the threads you'll find more and more residents asking/complaining and or both i guess, for better, easier access to areas we can't get to now. just keep in mind we don't have many roads, and an airplane is by far teh best tool to access good areas....but they fly on fuel...not thanks.
    Master guide 212

Montana and Wyoming aren't what they used to be. In the past 10 to 15 years most of the private land has been leased and the public land is extremely crowded. The game densities are high and the hunting is good if you can get access to private land. Too many Texans, Minnesotans, and other folks are making the hunting expensive. If you have family or close friends you might do ok getting access to private. Hunting private land is probably still cheaper than a fly-in moose hunt, but you won't have the same experience.

For public land in WY/MT you will need to draw a limited quota tag or work hard. Get up a little earlier, hike a little farther and you'll do well. Pays to do your home work and learn an area.

I haven't hunted Alaska yet, but I've been sickened by the amount of hunters I've seen on public land in Wyoming for the last 9 years. Seems like 2 or 3 Wyoming trucks and about 10 out of state trucks at most trailheads. Hopefully Alaska isn't so crowded.

I would say it is incredibly crowded up here. But it depends on where you go.

If you can drive there so can everyone else. Flying out helps. I always see less people when I fly out for deer.

That is not to say it is impossible to find game. I have never seen a legal 50" bull moose during hunting season in 21 years. But I have friends that have gotten more than a couple with four wheelers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast