Thread: Bat in Eagle River

Default Bat in Eagle River

Found this guy hanging on my storage shed.
    Afflicted by condition human

Smile

THAT "is" Not a Guy that is my ex-wife........

Talking

Little guys are cool, arn't they? Amazing critters, flying rodents if ya will. Build a bat box in the yard and they'll keep the skeeter pop down, and they work nights

Far from a rodent of any kind.

You must live by me, I've seen two bats flying around my house late at night. I never knew there were bats in Alaska until I saw it with my own eyes.

Post Little Brown Bat?

Alaska Bat Monitoring Project
    http://aknhp.uaa.alaska.edu/akbats/index.htm

Alaska Department of Fish and Game - Bats
    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...mgame/bats.php

Fairly prevalent in the Skilak area. Spent several nights around a campfire down there and counted dozens overhead.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Thanks Tomcat

Thanks for the links, great info there. I'll get one of the observation forms filled out and sent in.

2dawgs
    I'm thinking about building a bat-box, since one bat can eat 1000 insects a night. Go bats!

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

Default Thanks for the picture!!

I love those little skeeter-eaters! They are so fun to watch when you are lucky enough to get a glimpse of them. Thanks for sharing!

I have four confirmed bats flying around my house at 11pm almost every night. I am concerned they are living in my attic crapping where ever they please. We had a major rodent problem a few years ago as seen on my YouTube video which leads me to believe these flying rodents either need to be terminated or relocated.

I have read about bat boxes,which sounds like a good idea, but what happens when they reproduce and the offspring loom for a new home,possibly in my house.

Right now termination sounds like an excellent idea.

Any idea how catch these buggers? I have tried swiping at them with a salmon sized landing net but have only managed to look like a drugged out meth head to my neighbors.

Just plug the holes to your attic and you will be fine, just work around your sofits and check for any holes and plug them. Problem solved. Killing the ones you see only prolongs your problem as more will eventually find a way into your house until you fix your house.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Climbing 50' up a latter to check 100' of eave is not my idea of a good time. Sitting on my porch with a 12 gauge, gun mounted flashlight and a couple boxes of shells on the other hand sounds like more fun :) maybe I can rig a bat box with a 110 coni at the entrance. Hmmmmm what to use as bait :)

Ahhhhhhh darnit muni rules spoil all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Climbing 50' up a latter to check 100' of eave is not my idea of a good time.
    I'm with ya....

I'm like spiderman on a wall up that high on a ladder...its not pretty...

I've seen the bats up the Willow side of Hatcher and around the Nancy lakes area at my buddies cabin.

They live in my roof all year long, The only problem that I have with them is in the winter when the cabin heats up they wake up and scurry around in the ceiling. No Smell at all. Summer time they come out at dusk and are like little missles

It was kinda funny a couple of weeks ago we were getting ready to close up the cabin, and there was one on the door jam in broad daylight. Had to scoop him up and put it back in the eves so he could kill somemore skeeters before hunting season. lol.

They have been there for years and there is no smell.

I didn't realize they were so rare. I see them regularly at my parrents place in biglake. They were living under the roof till we re roofed the house I don't know where they live now.